Official DQVII Advice & OMG Thread

We did this when DQMSL came out and it's been a hit with ~900 replies.  Basically, we don't need a new thread for every single "ah ha" moment or every single time someone asks "Can someone explain how classes/job work in this game?" or "What class should I go for?"  We just don't.  The Den isn't GameFAQs, and we don't need a topic for every single time one of us finds something cool or different or has a small question about the game.  This forum is already full of topics with 1, 2, or even 0 replies that honestly are never going to see another one anyway.  If you have something like that, please post below.

Thanks & Ask Away

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The intro is the main thing that's been changed. The grinding has been seriously downplayed and the difficulty has sadly been nerfed a bit too much for my liking. Most of the game remains the same...e

Well, they told you the hat gave the Professor his heightened intelligence, right? Did you ever happen to check out the Wisdom rankings in El Ciclo? If you did, you would've seen Professor Wade in the

The intro may have been gimped, but the remake is the definitive version of DQ7. Just play the remake, but consider going through the original at some point to see the differences.

This is helpful, I've had a few questions but I hate making entire threads for tiny questions, and resorted to either waiting on others to do it, or using the status bar which really isn't good for this kind of thing.

Right now I'm still really confused about monster meadows. I've been recruiting monsters left and right throughout my quest but I still can't see them or do anything. I was told that I have to get to a certain part of the game first and fight gripevine. I haven't played 7 before and I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything like if it's an optional side area or something. I just completed the part with the clock tower and all the weird buildings, am I getting close? or did I miss something?

I guess I could ask the same thing about Mini Medals also, I feel like I should've gotten the mini medal shop by now too.

• Upvote 1

If you want me to merge any into this topic let me know.

• Upvote 1

This is helpful, I've had a few questions but I hate making entire threads for tiny questions, and resorted to either waiting on others to do it, or using the status bar which really isn't good for this kind of thing.

Right now I'm still really confused about monster meadows. I've been recruiting monsters left and right throughout my quest but I still can't see them or do anything. I was told that I have to get to a certain part of the game first and fight gripevine. I haven't played 7 before and I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything like if it's an optional side area or something. I just completed the part with the clock tower and all the weird buildings, am I getting close? or did I miss something?

I guess I could ask the same thing about Mini Medals also, I feel like I should've gotten the mini medal shop by now too.

I'm past where you are and I still haven't gotten to where the monster meadows unlocks.  I do believe you aren't too too far off though.

Once you reach the point of your game where it's possible to get the next party member, that's when you'll be able to reach the mini medal palace.

A little tip for those who are about to reach Alltrades Abbey:  First thing I did was put the Hero on Sailor vocation.  Never regretted it.  The last ability a Sailor learns, "Lightning", will deal his attack damage as lightning to all enemies for 0 MP.  As this is a basic job, the ability will stand your Hero in good stead the rest of the adventure.

• Upvote 2

Plus the hero looks really good in the sailor outfit.  :P

Plus the hero looks really good in the sailor outfit. :P

I love Aishe's version of Sailor. The color scheme is brilliant.

A little tip for those who are about to reach Alltrades Abbey: First thing I did was put the Hero on Sailor vocation. Never regretted it. The last ability a Sailor learns, "Lightning", will deal his attack damage as lightning to all enemies for 0 MP. As this is a basic job, the ability will stand your Hero in good stead the rest of the adventure.

I was going to do that. Let Gabo do it first. That way I can set him to Show No Mercy and not have to click an extra couple buttons for my hero to cast it. Haha, I'm so lazy! Edited by Plattym3

A little tip for those who are about to reach Alltrades Abbey: First thing I did was put the Hero on Sailor vocation. Never regretted it. The last ability a Sailor learns, "Lightning", will deal his attack damage as lightning to all enemies for 0 MP. As this is a basic job, the ability will stand your Hero in good stead the rest of the adventure.

I was going to do that. Let Gabo do it first. That way I can set him to Go All Out and not have to click an extra couple buttons for my hero to cast it. Haha, I'm so lazy!

I've had my party members on tactics the entire time I've played. Kiefer was Show No Mercy to ensure he used Fire Slash, Maribel at Don't Use Magic to make sure she doesn't spend her MP supply (which really who would even make Maribel actually use magic in the early portions of the game when her MP pool is very low, her physical attack is more than enough and all healing can be covered by a reserve of herbs) and controlled when in boss fights so she uses Sap, and Gabo at Fight Wisely.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

You have to fight and defeat Sulkk (DarkDraco on PSX) in the Pillar of Sulkk (DarkDraco's Tower) east of Past Nottagen (Loomin). After that, Nottagen will be freed in the present and the monster meadows is just northwest of it in the present.

I only set tactics when vocation grinding. I just like having control of my party, and I'm not lazy enough to say screw it.

I'm past where you are and I still haven't gotten to where the monster meadows unlocks.  I do believe you aren't too too far off though.

Once you reach the point of your game where it's possible to get the next party member, that's when you'll be able to reach the mini medal palace.

Nottagen, once completed, either saved or destroyed (only scenario that can be left in ruins by choice), Monster Meadows opens.

The moment you finish Wetlock, and take the Mermaid Moon to Collette in La Bravoure for the Magic Carpet, you can access the mini medal dumpsite, King Maximo's Mansion.  Same time, as Mystical states, that you can get the next party member (optional at this point, but generally the best time to do it).

You have to fight and defeat Sulkk (DarkDraco on PSX) in the Pillar of Sulkk (DarkDraco's Tower) east of Past Nottagen (Loomin). After that, Nottagen will be freed in the present and the monster meadows is just northwest of it in the present.

Ninja'd, but it can't be fully utilized until after the scenario is completed I thought?

Edited by ignasia7

Nottagen, once completed, either saved or destroyed (only scenario that can be left in ruins by choice), Monster Meadows opens.

The moment you finish Wetlock, and take the Mermaid Moon to Collette in La Bravoure for the Magic Carpet, you can access the mini medal dumpsite, King Maximo's Mansion.  Same time, as Mystical states, that you can get the next party member (optional at this point, but generally the best time to do it).

Ninja'd, but it can't be fully utilized until after the scenario is completed I thought?

Nope, it opens after Sulkk dies.

If you kill Chibi/Wiggles, Sieble/Buddy will survive anyway and sire a line of descendants, including the Monster Park guy.

I'm up to "HardlyPool" now and I'm enjoying the new translation here! In the old PS1 version they just refer to Old Jann/Florin as "The Bard". Here, they actually give him a drifter's name: "Old Man Rigger" or "The Old Rigger".

This is one of my favorite portions of the game for several reasons:

-Jann/Florin gets his chance to shine and becomes a real hero

-It reminds me of Noah and the Ark with the flooding/gathering of the continent into the tall tower

-The suspense is quite gripping as it SHOWS us one of the floods that swallowed the continent and gives us an idea of what happened to each continent

I haven't gotten far, so this should be interesting. ;)

I've never played 7 before and I'm loving it but I can't seem to get to the top of Highendreigh Tower in the present, the gate is locked and the hole is too small. Don't know if I'm missing anything

*whispers* Use the force Potato.  Use the force. *whispers*

Ok, the basic layout is you have to use the areas on the OUTSIDE wall.  Notice how there are openings to the outside (don't forget the chest on the first floor, on the Northside, on the outside wall).  There's passage there.  You'll figure out the rest pretty easily from there!

Edited by ignasia7

I've never played 7 before and I'm loving it but I can't seem to get to the top of Highendreigh Tower in the present, the gate is locked and the hole is too small. Don't know if I'm missing anything

Have you tried talking to the kid next to the hole?

To actually answer your question since it seems everyone else is under the impression you're in the past.

There's a beefed up king slime in the basement you need to fight. Beat it up and one of the component slimes will help you through the tower

I was going to do that. Let Gabo do it first. That way I can set him to Show No Mercy and not have to click an extra couple buttons for my hero to cast it. Haha, I'm so lazy!

Oh I made Ruff a Shepherd first thing, 'cause wolf in sheep's clothing.  and Lambpede is pretty awesome, too, even if it does cost 2 MP and dosen't work 100% lik eLightning does.  Didn't know that at the time.  It's still better than Call Of the Wild, though. More damage and higher success rate.

Ruff is a gladiator currently, and Maribel's a sage, for as long as she lasts in the party.  I am a Pirate, on the way to learning the fighting trades of Gladiator and Armamentalist in the road to Hero.

I'm not entirely sure which way I want to do jobs; I think I'll give characters a mix of things that fit them, and as lead-ins to advanced classes. I've started off by making Auster a Priest, Maribel a Mage, and Ruff a Thief for some fun basic skills (and Ruff just makes total sense as that monster trainer class later). I'll probably next go with Dancer or Sailor for Maribel and Shepherd for Ruff. Not sure yet what I want to do for Auster, but I want to mainly get stuff that makes the battles more interesting...but not too easy! Maybe Warrior or Fighter for him.

To actually answer your question since it seems everyone else is under the impression you're in the past.

There's a beefed up king slime in the basement you need to fight. Beat it up and one of the component slimes will help you through the tower

Whoops. Oh jeez. I can reed gud.

I remember other people said they encountered similar things, so...

I decided to give sharing tablets a shot today. Got a Tablet whose boss was Level 0, and monsters were Lv. 0, 200-something, and 0. Thought to myself that it looked weird, but decided I'd save, give it a shot, and if things were weird I'd reset and discard the tablet.

Went into the dungeon. Appeared in a cave by an entrance. Saw stairs on the map and headed to them... and was sent back to the Haven as if I'd exited. What? I went back in and tried the entrance I appeared beside. Was sent back to the Haven again. ...Huh. Decided to go back in one more time... and the entire map was different! It was a mossy cave this time. I headed north, broke a barrel... and got the weird red square item people have been mentioning. Its name was a space, all that stuff. 

I reset the game at that point and discarded the tablet, but be cautious when doing tablets you get shared to you! I can't imagine having that bug item would be great.