Sign in to follow this  
ErdrickRotoLotoOrtega

I'm a little disappointed by one aspect...Party Chat

Fine, I must come out and say it--I'm a bit disappointed about something regarding this. The party chat itself is GREAT. In fact--it's better than the party chat of the PS1 version.

My problem is more due to personal preference than anything else: I was hoping they would fix all those "Lost in thought" sections from the original PS1 version...they didn't. So many "..." and repeats of party chat lines. There was much less "dead air" in the DQV and DQVI remakes and I was hoping for the same with the DQVII remake but, so far, it's still ever-present.

I guess that doesn't really count as a bad mark against the remake, though, as it's simply adapting material already in existence, so the real slam would go against the original PS1, but...I was a bit let down that the remake didn't put forth a little extra effort in this area. There is simply too much dead air at times, in my opinion.

• Upvote 1

I was surprised at the lack of Party Chat too - I remember reading that DQ7 had the largest script of all the Dragon Quest games, so I expected the Party Chat to be as expansive as, say, the DS versions of V and VI. I was a bit disappointed when I noticed characters would only get about 3-4 different lines for every location/story event. I was used to DQ4/5/6 after all, in which the characters would respond to pretty much every NPC I talked to, so it felt a lot emptier in comparison to those games. It stopped bothering me after a while though.

• Upvote 1

Did the PS1 version have the same amount of party chat? Just curious.

Edited by TheKingOfTheDragovians

From what I've heard, the party chat was expanded in the remake.

And yet I still feel like some lines are missing.

I think maybe it's just party chat is spread out more, if they had party chat for every NPC, they'd probably still be localizing the game.

• Upvote 1

That's definitely it.

In any case, the only thing that really seems like it's missing is a reaction to the grave on roamed island

That's definitely it.

In any case, the only thing that really seems like it's missing is a reaction to the grave on roamed island

I HATED that one. The grave makes it pretty obvious that it's Kiefer and Lala and there's no way the party wouldn't be able to figure that out. That portion BEGGED attention and didn't receive any. 

It is, but not by much--not from what I've noticed. In DQV and VI remakes, nearly EVERY character you speak to triggers new party chat dialogue...in this game it's more hit and miss in this area. 

Again, it's not a big deal but I can't lie--I'm a bit let down because these characters are worthy of expanded party chat.

It sure as heck doesn't seem like it to me.

It did, and I kinda wish it stayed around.

They do say something different when you talk to certain npcs though, just not a lot of npcs trigger it.

* Cocytus is lost in thought...

They do say something different when you talk to certain npcs though, just not a lot of npcs trigger it.

That's the way the PSX version was. Every other line of dialogue was just "..."

That's the way the PSX version was. Every other line of dialogue was just "..."

Exactly. I've yet to see any evidence of party chat--if anything, it's been reduced when you consider the battle party chat was removed...

I hate to say it, but Kiefer and Maribel are the only party members whose commentary I've found consistently interesting or entertaining. Ruff's dialogue in particular is often about as worthwhile as Lizzie's in DQVI.