Sign in to follow this  
muddy120

Is Dragon Quest III the greatest Dragon Quest game?

I remember I beat the game, the final boss took me a whole night! (Retrying it every time I died)

It was 6 am when I finally beat him, I watched the ending, and at about 9 am I was able to continue playing the next part of the game. (Epilogue?)
I remember i was in this area with a lot of clouds and mountain-like roads surrounded with clouds. It was beautiful, but the monsters were programmed by the devil himself.

I reached a town, and I saved there and never touched the game again since 2009. All these years I've been waiting for the mood to come back to me, but I spent them playing the other DQ games I hadnt played yet, which has been great. :D I've learned a lot of things since then.

Im playing VII right now (3DS), didn't play it on PS1 so it's my first playthrough. Finally, I will play VIII on 3DS and pay full attention to everything and see if I can overcome those challenges I found in the PS2 version. If I can do it, I might even go back to my original PS2 save file and correct / complete everything. I dont use guides :D ever. (Unless it's been a week or a month of being stuck in the same place, but since I havent played it again, that doesnt count.)

I also own it for mobiles, and I intend to play those as well afterwards, but the low framerate and the nature of touch based controls already intimidated me.

Edited by kleev_55

Oh dang, so DQIX is weak huh?

I haven't played much of it, but I kinda had hopes ;___;

No way it can be as bad as Final Fantasy IX, and almost everyone loves that game xD

It claimed to return to the series roots, but all it gave me was the silliest and anti-dramatic, overacted, uninteresting story ever.

No other FF was ever like this, not the original ones, and not the post FF7 games.

In my opinion, FF9 is by far the best Final Fantasy game. It's the only PSX Final Fantasy game that doesn't take itself completely seriously - it has a colorful world, a sense of humor and fun characters. I didn't like FF7 or FF8, so I was glad to see it go back to a medieval setting. I prefer sillyness over dreariness - that's probably why my second favorite Final Fantasy game is V, a game many people hate because of its ridiculous plot.

I like DQIX, but I can see why people don't like it. I played it right after DQVIII, and was initially disappointed when I reached the Quester's Rest and found out it had only generic party members. I got used to it after a while though, and I did enjoy some of the stories (the story with the girl and her doll is gutwrenching). If you don't mind generic party members, I would definitely give it a try!

• Upvote 1

Well, there's a difference between taking your project seriously or with humor, and taking it with ingeniousness.

Final Fantasy 7 and 8 are only a tiny bit serious, with 8 being the least serious of the two.

FF 7 to 10 are far from genius. It's like a boy entering his teens wrote the story. I really don't like that because even when I was young, it was embarrassing for me to read the dumb story present in all those four FF games. I felt like I could have been doing something more enlightening and more of a learning experience. Those games made me feel "Oh man I'm too old for videogames now", something that not any Dragon Quest and not any early FF games makes me feel today.

Let me put it this way: FF7 to 10 felt to me like you would feel if my friend's dumb little cousin made a story in RPG Maker using ripped resources from beautiful 3D games and advanced game engines pre-ready. Actually, I bet that a child can make something less stupid, cause being a child, he would pretend he's an adult making real things.

Sorry, I know that's off topic now... but, this can compare to Dragon Quest III as well.
Look at how in DQ III, a king lets you take his place in the castle so he can go gamble.
In my opinion, this is a simple, but fine and high quality joke. It is enlightening in a way, it's like "Wow, I guess even kings can get tired of what they do!"

It was handled in such a way that it felt like a new learning experience to me. Something so simple went a long way.

A child can't make a story like that because he has no idea what it would be like being a king.

In FF9, you see Steiner jumping in anger because Garnet was taken away by Zidane. Haha, how funny. No genius, no nothing, just plain dumb things happening all the time. Something a little child would laugh at because he doesn't know or understand any better.

FF9 may have 1 or 2 interesting moments. (in b4 Vivi's background story) But it still can't compare to the abundance of mini genius stories found in DQIII.

Oh! And before I forget, (and this is on topic) another reason that DQIII fans claim this to be so great, might be the ending of it.

Not sure if I can say spoilers here, but you know that DQVI did the same thing as III, and boy was it deep and surprising, but it wasn't as clear or as dramatic until I stopped to think and remember things about DQIV after the game had ended.

You have to let it sink in for a while.

DQIII might have the most interesting ending that's also the easiest to understand.

Maybe DQVI has the most juicy story in how it ends, but because you need to really be into this, perhaps most fans missed it. In this case, the greatness might not be because of DQIII's size an awesomeness (since its small and simple), but in how much of it most players can grasp. 

Edited by kleev_55

Though I do like DQ3, FF9 is a far better game, in my opinion. There's maybe one or two of DQ3's small tales that can rival FF9, but that's it.

Well, there's a difference between taking your project seriously or with humor, and taking it with ingeniousness.

Final Fantasy 7 and 8 are only a tiny bit serious, with 8 being the least serious of the two.

FF 7 to 10 are far from genius. It's like a boy entering his teens wrote the story. I really don't like that because even when I was young, it was embarrassing for me to read the dumb story present in all those four FF games. I felt like I could have been doing something more enlightening and more of a learning experience. Those games made me feel "Oh man I'm too old for videogames now", something that not any Dragon Quest and not any early FF games makes me feel today.

Let me put it this way: FF7 to 10 felt to me like you would feel if my friend's dumb little cousin made a story in RPG Maker using ripped resources from beautiful 3D games and advanced game engines pre-ready. Actually, I bet that a child can make something less stupid, cause being a child, he would pretend he's an adult making real things.

Sorry, I know that's off topic now... but, this can compare to Dragon Quest III as well.

Look at how in DQ III, a king lets you take his place in the castle so he can go gamble.

In my opinion, this is a simple, but fine and high quality joke. It is enlightening in a way, it's like "Wow, I guess even kings can get tired of what they do!"

It was handled in such a way that it felt like a new learning experience to me. Something so simple went a long way.

A child can't make a story like that because he has no idea what it would be like being a king.

In FF9, you see Steiner jumping in anger because Garnet was taken away by Zidane. Haha, how funny. No genius, no nothing, just plain dumb things happening all the time. Something a little child would laugh at because he doesn't know or understand any better.

FF9 may have 1 or 2 interesting moments. (in b4 Vivi's background story) But it still can't compare to the abundance of mini genius stories found in DQIII.

Oh! And before I forget, (and this is on topic) another reason that DQIII fans claim this to be so great, might be the ending of it.

Not sure if I can say spoilers here, but you know that DQVI did the same thing as III, and boy was it deep and surprising, but it wasn't as clear or as dramatic until I stopped to think and remember things about DQIV after the game had ended.

You have to let it sink in for a while.

DQIII might have the most interesting ending that's also the easiest to understand.

Maybe DQVI has the most juicy story in how it ends, but because you need to really be into this, perhaps most fans missed it. In this case, the greatness might not be because of DQIII's size an awesomeness (since its small and simple), but in how much of it most players can grasp. 

Final Fantasy games are never really masterpieces when it comes to writing; pretty much every plot-driven FF game becomes completely convoluted and unfocused after 15 hours or so. I enjoy the games, but they're really not the Pinnacles of Storytelling many RPG fans claim them to be. The only Final Fantasy games that remain consistent in their writing are the first three because they're very light on plot, and FF6.

Comparing the Gold Crown quest to Steiner jumping in anger is a bit unfair though. It's a brilliant little quest, I agree - but it's also 30 minutes to an hour long, while the FF9 example you give is just a little stand-alone joke. It seems more fair to compare it to, for example, the 'I Want To Be Your Canary' opening play in FF9. It's a great scene, with lots of funny moments throughout it, from the princess WANTING to be kidnapped to Steiner's confusion about whether what he's seeing is real or part of the play. Still, humor is a subjective thing, so what's funny to me may not be funny to you  :)

I haven't beaten DQ3 yet (several things have been spoiled for me, though) but I'm really looking forward to seeing the ending. I really liked DQVI's ending, so if III's ending is anything like it, color me interested  :P

In terms of sheer historical influence? III is probably one of the most if not the most influential game for this series.

Personally, I could never get into DQIII and stick to it (the only one of the Loto games I could was II, for some odd reason).

I think either VI or VII is the best overall, but that comes down to opinion, naturally.

• Upvote 1

Final Fantasy games are never really masterpieces when it comes to writing; pretty much every plot-driven FF game becomes completely convoluted and unfocused after 15 hours or so. I enjoy the games, but they're really not the Pinnacles of Storytelling many RPG fans claim them to be. The only Final Fantasy games that remain consistent in their writing are the first three because they're very light on plot, and FF6.

Comparing the Gold Crown quest to Steiner jumping in anger is a bit unfair though. It's a brilliant little quest, I agree - but it's also 30 minutes to an hour long, while the FF9 example you give is just a little stand-alone joke. It seems more fair to compare it to, for example, the 'I Want To Be Your Canary' opening play in FF9. It's a great scene, with lots of funny moments throughout it, from the princess WANTING to be kidnapped to Steiner's confusion about whether what he's seeing is real or part of the play. Still, humor is a subjective thing, so what's funny to me may not be funny to you  :)

I haven't beaten DQ3 yet (several things have been spoiled for me, though) but I'm really looking forward to seeing the ending. I really liked DQVI's ending, so if III's ending is anything like it, color me interested  :P

Oh what things have been spoiled?

Lol, as for FF9, see, I didn't like the play scene from the beginning either. It felt so cheap. I loved the music they put there (Vamo alla flamenco), but the whole thing feels ... like air if you could sugar coat it. It's like "Oh look, a play scene! That must be a nod to FF6."  But when you play FF6, the thing feels very inspired and high quality, has a lot of neat things happening and true emotional things. The play in FF9 is just some random act thrown in there to look flashy, nothing special at all, and it is brought down even further by the fact that it's trying to be like another game, when FF6 was being itself. The saddest thing is that FF9 is so boring to me, that THAT scene was still one of the most fun and well made parts of the game. Yikes.

Then there's that scene when Blank turns to stone. Someone dying in a game is meant to give you a strong feeling. Like, in Dragon Quest VII, I saw this man turned to stone that crumbled, and you never really see the guy before this part, yet it almost made me cry. It was just a scene that was handled professionally

As for Blank in FF9, it didnt matter to me that he's a temporary playable character and part of Zidane's group, him turning to stone changed nothing. That was just a scene the game throws at you for a pretend-dramatic effect, like "Look! A tragedy! One of your friends is turned to stone! You're supposed to be sad about this!".

In FF4,

there are 2 characters that turn to stone, essentially giving their lives to protect you, AND they're much younger than the main character, so you're supposed to protect THEM instead. That one also nearly makes me cry even though I know they are safe at the end.

Back to Dragon Quest III, how does it all compare? Well,

near the end of the game, you find your father who was presumed dead, still fighting an enemy!

And only to die before you like a fool! This gave me a lot of feels, but I admit part of this was negative because it's impossible for him to have been there all this time fighting monsters.

It's impossible to believe he went there all alone when obviously he must have brought other soldiers from the castle. I didnt like that you just sit and watch him die without helping. But even so, this made me care A TON more than anyone in FF9 despite its flaw. While Im at it (more spoilers ahead) Dragon Quest V's hero's dad had a similar death, so even if DQV is clearly a step up in the series, it fails at things that DQ III can also fail at.

Edited by kleev_55

I knew all of those spoilers, but you gotta have more space between your spoiler warnings. They do nothing when the warning is right next to the sensitive info.

Better yet, just use spoiler tags.

Its interesting to hear these responses since Japanese DQ fans still rate DQ III so highly, I don't know if its nostalgia or what but most Jap DQ fans all say DQ III is one the best best DQ games and RPG games of all time.

The casual DQ fan outside this website all rate DQ VIII as the best game in the series since its such a great game and its the one that everyone remembers, in Japan that game seems to be DQ III instead. So I felt like bringing it up for that purpose.

i just gived a try to DQIX...and it isn't that bad as i trough,it's actually a fun game actually altrough i dislike the lack of party members,i find the game now more fun that some years a go,i remember that i hate it to death when i was younger,now i think i've just talked by bad memories adove and it isn't as bad as i maked it out to be.

I definitely think there are better dragon quest games by now, V and IX are my personal favorites, followed by VIII and III (and maybe VII around there too but I haven't finished it yet). However I can easily see why people would regard III as the greatest in certain ways. I wasn't alive back then, but I would imagine III being extremely impressive for its time. The first two dragon quest Sequals (II and III) each made HUGE improvements to its predecessor in many ways including gameplay and just the sheer scale of the games. III was the first game where you had real options in building your characters and creating your own style of play, which for me makes it the earliest dragon quest game I'd ever replay. In terms of scale, you need only look at the world map. Not does it have an entirely new world larger than the previous games by quite a margin, but it also includes that world as well! Even with all of that it's still just a NES/Famicom game just like the previous two. I wouldn't consider it the best Dragon Quest game by today's standards, but all things considered I would probably consider it the most impressive Dragon Quest game.

Fixed my post! Spoiler tags were hard to find the first time, sorry.

I find that interesting that they think that in Japan... when they had the better games and we didn't initially!!

When you consider that almost each DQ game was nearly the best RPG for its time of release, and it kept doing that for a while, I think the series peaked at VI.

Dragon Quest VII is a very slight step down to me simply because DQ IV, V and VI focused a lot on main characters, and still also focused on the things that happened in towns.

DQ VII kinda ditched that. Maybe DQ VII is too massive for its own good.

I just recently got Ruff though, his was the only real story I've seen in a playable character so far, but according to what i heard, it kinda ends there once he's with you.

As great and fun as this game is, I'd rather have a much shorter game if it can have a story that is a step-up from V and VI.

Hold up! Don't listen to him. DQIX is by no means a poor game. It isn't a favorite of mine in the least, but I would still recommend it to anyone who likes DQ. That goes double if you like DQIII, because both games are cut from the same cloth.

Please, judge the game on its own merits, and not because someone hates on it for the create-a-party member aspect.

Hahah, all right! I do intend to play the game at one point and form my own opinion no matter what :P

That makes me feel better though, thanks!

There are some of here that have sunk HUNDREDS of hours into DQIX.  I will say that it's more polarizing than others, but I do love it.

I played through DQ1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 8 and 9 before playing through 3 for the first time this year...and I think 3 is definitely a contender for best game in the series! The scale of the game is truly impressive, and the final chapter is wonderfully done in almost every aspect. SPOILERS AHEAD

Going back to Alefgard was a huge blast of nostalgia, and the subtle storytelling there linking it to DQ1 was some of the absolute best in the series. The way it's slowly revealed to the player that this takes place before DQ1, the small consistencies like how the Sun Stones end up where they do and the location of things like the Flute and Token, being able to see Hawksness before it got demolished, etc. And the music is fantastic to boot, although I'm not sure if the NES version had all the classic songs as well.

Then at the very end of the game, it's revealed that you're the hero of legend and your journey was his journey. It really wraps up the first three games wonderfully.

I only wish that stuff wasn't seen as "common knowledge" nowadays, as it would've been great to experience those surprises firsthand. Oh well. Mix that in with the fun episodic elements of the rest of the game and the create-a-team aspect and the tweaked Return spell and better difficulty balance compared to DQ2, and you've got a real contender in my eyes.

Edited by TriforceBun

DQ3 uesd to be my favorite, sure, but the best DQ of all?  I'm afraid I can't say "yes" to that.  DQ4 on the same home system almost blew my nostalgia goggles for 3 clean off my face, until DQ8 on PS2 came along.

DQ8 is probably the perfect DQ to me, and it owes it's position there to a lot of things:  the wide feel of the 3D overworld (for the first time in the series!), the orchestral music in the US/UK versions, the diverse characters with skill trees, and the vibrant colors in the cel-shaded graphics that took even that overused graphics feature and made it pop.

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but DQ3 gets a lot of respect because it was the FIRST great Dragon Quest game.  Realistically, I don't think it stands up to newer titles, but that comes down to personal preference.

• Upvote 1