They sure made the intro easy

On ps1 it would take 2.5 to 4 hours before you even fought a monster, and that's if you knew what you were doing. This version I fought the first set of slimes pretty fast.

Guess they had to dumb it down, but I miss being able to save in the pedestal area. They cut all thelse intro dungeons down to hardly anything.

Actually it was proven if you knew what you were doing you could reach the first battle in about 33 to 45 minutes in the PS1 version. Someone posted that on the Dragon Questers Facebook group.

• Upvote 1

That's probably without talking to most people and also knowing exactly where every item is, and every route to go. Cuz you can probably spend 30 mins in Fishbel at the beginning, especially with searching the ship and Maribels house.

I got it done in 2.5 hours once, and that was with talking to everyone and searching everywhere for items, and every room in both towns.

• Upvote 1

Found the image. I don't take credit for this image, it's not mine, all that fun stuff. Still interesting to see:

https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/fr/cp0/e15/q65/14207707_1207033229338205_2327852366854353503_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9

Found the image. I don't take credit for this image, it's not mine, all that fun stuff. Still interesting to see:

https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/fr/cp0/e15/q65/14207707_1207033229338205_2327852366854353503_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9

On my recent replay of dq7 on ps1 I saved a slot that starts off right when I can enter rexwood, so if I play the ps1 version ever again I can start there immediately. One of the benefits of the old Playstation memory cards. But I'm not sure if I will ever play the ps1 version again. Might be too hard to go back to after the new changes on 3ds.

• 2 weeks later...

On my recent replay of dq7 on ps1 I saved a slot that starts off right when I can enter rexwood, so if I play the ps1 version ever again I can start there immediately. One of the benefits of the old Playstation memory cards. But I'm not sure if I will ever play the ps1 version again. Might be too hard to go back to after the new changes on 3ds.

I did the same thing actually. The last time I played the PS1 version I have a file saved at the Ancient Fane right before you head to Rexwood.

I had bad experiences with the first part of the game, especially when I first played the game at 10 years old. It's just a lot of running around between the same screens, talking to people, collecting stuff. To me, the interesting part of the game starts when you get to Rexwood/Ballymolloy. I personally did not miss some of that puzzle solving in the Ancient Fane and was glad they made it abbreviated in the remake.

I know some people, especially on the Facebook group, were really bitter about the changes/getting rid of the puzzles. To which I say, the 3DS version doesn't cancel out the PS1 version. They're more than welcome to go back and play it. A lot of people were turned off from the original version because it took so long to get things going. You can't make everyone happy, I guess. It's funny thinking looking back at Dragon Quest VIII now too, since you get into a battle about 5 minutes into the game.

And the 30-45 minutes thing for the PS1 version: yeah that's possible if you know exactly where to go, skip items, etc. which most people aren't going to do or know instinctively. It's an interesting experiment at least. It seems like an unnecessary counter to people who disliked the prologue of the game for valid reasons.

I prefer the Playstation prologue but it really did need to have some fat cut off. It was a bit excessive before.

Besides liking the puzzles far more than the running around the overwold for Saint Equipment, I personally blame the fairy guy for my opinion of the 3DS prologue being low in comparison. He just clashes with the mood way too much. And they didn't even name the poor guy...

I think this is a case of personal bias based on what we all liked when we played it the first time.  Me personally, I was one of those bickering that we lost the puzzle structure from the beginning and were left with an unfulfilling and mindless moving of a stone and pressing the A button.  BLECH.  I do realize tho that people who never enjoyed those puzzles are far from upset they are gone, but my main reasoning for being upset is that instead of just removing them altogether, they made them pointless and superfluous in such a manner as they felt like a waste of time.  All in all tho, it was nice to be playing and battling in less than an hour, regardless, and that I feel is what helps sell the overall experience of the game.  Altogether the game is a 5-star masterpiece (minus glitching of course) and I hope that if you have never played a DQ game you DON'T play this one first (try IV first, it is a great intro to the series) but instead see how it fits the mold of a great DQ game with a very expansive story (kind of like this post).   :laugh:

As someone who played the heck out of the playstation version of Dragon Quest VII, I was a little bit disappointed with the fact that they gutted the puzzles in the ancient fane and made an already simple set of puzzles more simpler (like connect the dots simpler).

The cave with your boat was also removed and had it's own place as I discovered when doing my item collecting before turning in for bed and Hondara's Hot Stone was taken by Kiefer just to name a few things.

Edited by Volcannon

In the new version the "puzzles" to get the armor and stuff to open the inner door are so rudimentary in the new version that if they were really serious about shortening and streamlining the intro, they should have just left that fetch quest out altogether.

In the new version the "puzzles" to get the armor and stuff to open the inner door are so rudimentary in the new version that if they were really serious about shortening and streamlining the intro, they should have just left that fetch quest out altogether.

Yeah, I would have preferred a streamlined pre-puzzle section, and left the puzzles intact, or at least not so simplified.

There was definitely a more elegant solution than what they came up with. They could have kept the temple atmosphere in tact. Having the player leave the fane was a mistake. They should have just left the general layout and switched the puzzles out with. .. well anything.