Sign in to follow this  
Sackchief

Best versions of each game?

Hey guys, so I was wondering.  If someone were to do an ideal playthrough of the series from DQI-DQX, which versions would they choose?  Each game has at least a few variant versions on different consoles, so I thought this would be an interesting topic.

In my opinion:

Dragon Warrior I - GameBoy version.  It doesn't have advanced graphics like the SFamicom version, but the mechanics are better.

Dragon Warrior II - GameBoy version.  Same reason as DWI.

Dragon Warrior III - Going with the GameBoy Color version.  Once again, its newer and more updated.  Big step above NES and Super Famicom versions.

Dragon Quest IV - iOS/Android version.  Two words.  Party Chat.  This feature was sadly missing from the DS Remake version and implemented in the iOS and Android versions of the game.

Dragon Quest V - Definitely prefer the DS version.  Its identical to the mobile version, but I prefer buttons over touch screen and its several steps above the PS2 version despite less advanced graphics.

Dragon Quest VI - DS Version is obviously the best one.

Dragon Quest VII - Tie.  The 3DS version has really amazing visuals and is just a fantastic game that really adds some life to the story, however the two hour intro section at the beginning of the PS1 version really makes the game mysterious and sets the mood.  Its a huge shame that this is missing from the 3DS version.  The remake would easily take this one if it had the original intro.

Dragon Quest VIII - PS2 version.  Fully orchestrated soundtrack and full voice acting, plus the best graphics.  

Dragon Quest IX - DS version since its the only one lol.

Dragon Quest X - PS4 version when it come out because lets be real here.

The only one I've played multiple versions of is VII, and I'll have to agree pretty much.

The 3DS version stomps the Playstation one in many ways, but the intro just got hit hard by the "streamlining."

So... yeah.

I'll forever disagree on the mobile version of DQIV. Mobile is a bigger detractor to me than the lack of party chat. I'd rather play it with no party chat on a dedicated gaming platform than have it on my phone.

I played DQ 1/2 on my phone and I just did not like it. I do not like the touch controls for the game. I would rather have a controller. I liked the way they look over the GameBoy versions of the game, but mechanically the GameBoy ones were better.

I have to agree, except I haven't played DQ7 3DS yet...so I can't comment.  However, one mention about DQ6 iOS/Mobile: better overall experience with the changes, but the controls for mobile...my god, the controls are AWFUL, and that fixed Portrait?  Our eyes are horizontal, and so Landscape is an infinitely better viewing experience.  Infinitely.  If you're fine with Portrait, that's one thing, but actually thinking it a better way to play, and a better view takes mind ninjutsu on a level even politicians and cult leaders would be envious.

Edited by ignasia7

You know... It would theoretically be pretty easy to dump the party chat from the iOS version of DQ4 and hack it into the DS game. Might need to dump the whole English script into the Japanese version if we can't figure out how to enable party chat in the English version.

Edited by Erdrick The Hero

I don't have an opinion on anything so I'll just answer for MattCraft: All the mobile ones.

I don't have an opinion on anything so I'll just answer for MattCraft: All the mobile ones.

I'll amend for MattCraft: All the movie ones... Except DQ8

I actually like DQ8 mobile. MattCraft thinks the camera controls are terrible. They do take a little bit of getting used to, but they aren't bad. Protip: you can use the top half of the screen to move the camera, despite there being no indication that you can do that.

No, I'm sure Matt still prefers the mobile version of VIII over the original, since it's out on his beloved mobile. Not like I'm to judge. I generally prefer Vita versions of PS3/PS4 games.

DQ1: Android - I beat the game in about 1 day a month or so ago. With the small amount of monsters in that game I would rather not spend a ton of time grinding, but it it still one of my favorite titles from the series since it was where it all started, and the first DQ game I ever played.

DQ2: Android - Gotta go with the Android version on this one too since that added the ability to Zoom to most major areas, instead of only zooming to the last place you saved at.

DQ3: SNES - Love the graphics better than the GBC version, and of course those Pachisi Tracks that they left off of Android.

DQ4, 5, and 6 - I will have to wait till I play the Android versions on my new Tablet to decide which is my fav.

DQ7: Not sure yet - I love the 3DS version so far, but I am too early into the game to say whether or not 3DS is my fav version. But I suspect it probably will be. I still think I will replay the PS1 version again someday.

DQ8: PS2 - I still gotta say the PS2 version is my fav, but I love how they made the Alchemy Pot instant on the Android version. If it wasn't for the great voice acting I might have a hard time going back to the PS2 version due to the long Alchemy wait.

Remember there is a mobile version of DQ7 as well. The music is the same as the western 3DS version, The visuals are the same as the 3DS version (but it's portrait - higher resolution though), it uses the same menu and controls as DQ6 mobile (yay for invisible d-pad!). Unfortunately, at least on the iPad Air, it hangs and stutters a lot in battle (as if it loads each animation before playing it instead of loading all of them at once) But it's still fun if you can get past the choppy animations. I fully expect it will show up in English sometime next year.

Edited by Erdrick The Hero

No, I'm sure Matt still prefers the mobile version of VIII over the original, since it's out on his beloved mobile. Not like I'm to judge. I generally prefer Vita versions of PS3/PS4 games.

What kind of a monster are you?

The ones that like to play them on the go. Project DIVA games are unplayable on a TV, I feel fighting games are better in your hand since it allows for quick matches that don't require a ton of set-up, and long RPGs are a lot more relaxing and I'm at least more willing to put more time in when all I have to do is reach out my hand and grab a system and turn it on. Even if I get a PS4 and I prefer physical copies, I'm more than likely going to play the Vita version of Builders. Unless the game has a noticeable drop in graphical quality or it just was never meant to function the a handheld (Borderlands 2 in the case of the Vita, Hyrule Warriors Legends in the case of the 3DS), I'd almost always pick the handheld version.

I've always played more handhelds over consoles anyways. I was out of the house for nearly the whole day when I was a kid and the habit probably just stuck.