Sign in to follow this  
ErdrickRotoLotoOrtega

Questions about the remake

I'm wondering a few things:

-Will this remake have visible enemies on the screen as DQVII remake did?

-Will ALL of the party members be visible or will it still simply be the hero?

-How many save slots?

Just curious and wondering if there is anyone who is "in the know" regarding these details.

Yes to visible enemies.

I think it's still just the Hero on the map, but don't quote me on it.

Two save slots, I believe. At least, I swear I heard someone say that.

Yes to visible enemies.

The visible enemies aspect has grown on me a bit and I believe that DQVIII is the most perfect vehicle for that, given its more "realistic" style. 

I can actually understand it only being the hero--given it's front-facing camera, it would be awkward to try and lump in the other members (and possibly the wagon) in behind the hero. I can understand if they leave this one alone.

Huh--only two save slots? I'm not doubting you a bit, but I AM curious as to WHY they would do that--memory limits? DQVII is MUCH longer than DQVIII, though, so I'm not so sure about that aspect...then again--DQVIII has much better graphics than even the DQVII remake, so...

Feel free to doubt me, man. Even I'm not certain on that. I may seen something about this on GFAQS. Give me a few minutes and I'll check for you.

Feel free to doubt me, man. Even I'm not certain on that. I may seen something about this on GFAQS. Give me a few minutes and I'll check for you.

Well, I'm inclined to believe your claims because, now that you've mentioned it, I vaguely recall a few people talking about "Two save slots" on the Den but I wasn't sure what they were talking about and never gave it a second thought until you brought it up again now. 

Based on the gameplay footage of the Nintendo 3DS version of Dragon Quest VIII that I see on YouTube, yeah, there's only two save slots. There's also a quick save slot like with Dragon Quest VII, but I don't know if the quick save function in Dragon Quest VIII works the same way as the quick save function in Dragon Quest VII.

Yes to visible enemies.

I also think the reason why Dragon Quest VIII has only two save slots is because Dragon Quest VIII is more graphically intensive than Dragon Quest VII. I remember reading an interview from Noriyoshi Fujimoto where he was saying that Dragon Quest VIII doesn't support stereoscopic 3D, because stereoscopic 3D would use up double the memory on the Nintendo 3DS.

Edited by Dakhil

Based on the gameplay footage of the Nintendo 3DS version of Dragon Quest VIII that I see on YouTube, yeah, there's only two save slots. There's also a quick save slot like with Dragon Quest VII, but I don't know if the quick save function in Dragon Quest VIII works the same way as the quick save function in Dragon Quest VII.

Yes to visible enemies.

I also think the reason why Dragon Quest VIII has only two save slots is because Dragon Quest VIII is more graphically intensive than Dragon Quest VII. I remember reading an interview from Noriyoshi Fujimoto where he was saying that Dragon Quest VIII doesn't support stereoscopic 3D, because stereoscopic 3D would use up double the memory on the Nintendo 3DS.

So, the 3D function won't work with DQVIII? Fine by me--I don't use the 3DS's 3D slider--makes me eyes ache in a matter of seconds. 3D is overrated, if you ask me. 

Thanks, Dakhil. I couldn't find where I thought I'd heard it, and I didn't want to be a liar.

Thanks, Dakhil. I couldn't find where I thought I'd heard it, and I didn't want to be a liar.

You're only a liar if you know the truth and tell someone the opposite, dude. :thumbsup:  

I'm OK with two slots. Anything is better than ONE slot like DQIX had. I actually bought ANOTHER copy of IX because I didn't want to lose all my progress from IX but wanted to replay the game. I always need one master file and one "delete and start over" file. I never delete my master file for any DQ game.

I have a question about the Nintendo 3DS remake of Dragon Quest VIII myself.

I wonder if the western version would allow players to choose between regular camera control and inverted camera control when using the C-stick nub to control the camera. I've heard from GameFAQs that the Japanese version locks in the inverted camera control when using the C-stick nub to control the camera. http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/160146-dragon-quest-viii-journey-of-the-cursed-king/72391208

Edited by Dakhil

I'd like to know the answer to that myself.

You're only a liar if you know the truth and tell someone the opposite, dude. :thumbsup:  

I'm OK with two slots. Anything is better than ONE slot like DQIX had. I actually bought ANOTHER copy of IX because I didn't want to lose all my progress from IX but wanted to replay the game. I always need one master file and one "delete and start over" file. I never delete my master file for any DQ game.

I thought dq9 had only 1 slot to force people that often shared the game to buy their own version, but they probably couldn't do anymore slots due to memory.

I thought dq9 had only 1 slot to force people that often shared the game to buy their own version, but they probably couldn't do anymore slots due to memory.

There's an interview with Ryutaro Ichimura, the producer of Dragon Quest IX, where he said that there's only one save slot in Dragon Quest IX, because it was really difficult to cram a back-up data save file alongside multiple save files (since creating a back-up data save file requires a lot of memory). So Square Enix opted for only one save slot for Dragon Quest IX: http://kotaku.com/5309725/dragon-quest-ixs-one-save-data-slot-explained

I am hoping the big sense of scale isn't lost that you feel in the PS2 version. Going from a bigger screen to a handheld will be great in its own right, but I hope that doesn't sacrifice the former I mentioned.

• Upvote 1

I am hoping the big sense of scale isn't lost that you feel in the PS2 version. Going from a bigger screen to a handheld will be great in its own right, but I hope that doesn't sacrifice the former I mentioned.

Yeah, that was my first thought when they announced the game. I was honestly really disappointed when they announced dq8 for 3ds. Especially since I was really hoping for a hd remaster at the time. But I am just going to take it as its own experience, and hope this game gets another version in the future. Either HD or another version on the 3ds successor.

Well, I think you have to examine DQVII on the 3DS to get an idea of that. Does that remake feel epic and large to you? If you think it does, then I'm sure that DQVIII will be just fine in your eyes. If it's the opposite, then I'm sure you'll feel disappointed with DQVIII scale. 

My own personal opinion? I think it will fare just fine. DQVII feels large, open and epic on the 3DS, in my opinion. I'm thinking the same for DQVIII

Well, I think you have to examine DQVII on the 3DS to get an idea of that. Does that remake feel epic and large to you? If you think it does, then I'm sure that DQVIII will be just fine in your eyes. If it's the opposite, then I'm sure you'll feel disappointed with DQVIII scale. 

My own personal opinion? I think it will fare just fine. DQVII feels large, open and epic on the 3DS, in my opinion. I'm thinking the same for DQVIII

Dragon Quest 7 is big, but if feels kinda empty outside of the towns. Dragon Quest 8 never had that. It felt alive, even when roaming the fields. That may change with the random encounters becoming visible on the map, we'll see.

Limited save slots is so 1990's. Should be able to save to the SD card, not just the 3DS cart, with as many saves as will fit on whatever size card you have. But this poor limited save design is hardly a DQ problem, many games (especially 1st party Nintendo games) are similarly hampered. And yes, I realize the irony of complaining about an outdated way of doing something when talking about DQ...

Dragon Quest 7 is big, but if feels kinda empty outside of the towns. Dragon Quest 8 never had that. It felt alive, even when roaming the fields. That may change with the random encounters becoming visible on the map, we'll see.

I think I can address that.

DQVIII felt alive because of all those little subtle nuances: butterflies, rays of sunshine shining down, the day/night cycle, etc. DQVII lacks the day/night cycle as well as most of those little nuances you mentioned. As long as they retain those for DQVIII remake, I think we'll be fine. Plus, all those monster animations will make DQVIII feel even MORE alive, I think.

Limited save slots is so 1990's. Should be able to save to the SD card, not just the 3DS cart, with as many saves as will fit on whatever size card you have. But this poor limited save design is hardly a DQ problem, many games (especially 1st party Nintendo games) are similarly hampered. And yes, I realize the irony of complaining about an outdated way of doing something when talking about DQ...

LOL! In my day, sonny, we didn't even have save slots! You were lucky if you had a PASSWORD system! *Cough* *Cough*. :P

I get it--we have the SD card and should be allowed full access via the game. It's not a big deal, though.

Another question just popped in my mind.

Will the western version of Dragon Quest VIII also have the same menu UI problem (at least for me) that the western version of Dragon Quest VII has (as in the menu UI becomes slow and sluggish when navigating through the menus)?

Whilst the menu UI doesn't hamper my enjoyment of playing Dragon Quest VII, I don't really like navigating through the menus.

(I'm sorry if I seem rather whiny and self-entitled here.)