Sign in to follow this  
Omegaplex

DQ7: How Long?

I'm loving DQ7 on 3DS, but how long do you think before they use the Japanese coded mobile DQ7 and put the English text in it and put it up for ios and android?

I'm thinking Q1 2017.

Thoughts?

March or April of next year is my guess.

They'll need to do more than drop the English script in - they'll need to change the fonts, recode three the text display to squish menu text if it's too short, reprogram dialogue to display speaker names in a separate box, etc.

They'll need to do more than drop the English script in - they'll need to change the fonts, recode three the text display to squish menu text if it's too short, reprogram dialogue to display speaker names in a separate box, etc.

To save time and money, they likely did both at the same time.  Just the 3DS gets released first.

I like playing DQ on the 3DS well enough, but I want all of my DQ in one place. The best version of 8 will probably be 3DS, but the DS version of 4 is totally hamstrung without party chat, making mobile the indesuptably superior version of that game. So between a weaker 8 (mobile) and a weaker 4 (DS), I'll take the weaker 8.

But maybe someday we'll see the 3DS version of 8 go mobile.

• Upvote 1

Dont own ds so ill probably wait for mobile and on smack it on bigger screen.

How has this not happened before:

tapatalk_1480552700540.png

Actually, it's been long enough since the 3DS release we might actually make some headway if we bug them about it. #DQ7Mobile

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Erdrick The Hero said:

Actually, it's been long enough since the 3DS release we might actually make some headway if we bug them about it. #DQ7Mobile

Great, I've been doing this for awhile now.  They've sadly erased every message I've sent asking for #DQ7Mobile or #DQ1to3DS.  Hopefully more people have been bugging them about it.  I"m sure they catalog the requests.  I've even spammed their facebook about it, but they delete those posts now.

13 hours ago, ignasia said:

Great, I've been doing this for awhile now.  They've sadly erased every message I've sent asking for #DQ7Mobile or #DQ1to3DS.  Hopefully more people have been bugging them about it.  I"m sure they catalog the requests.  I've even spammed their facebook about it, but they delete those posts now.

Wow, I can see being ignored, but flat out deleted? Damn, Squeenix! 

Despite being one of the very few who were optimistic about the 3DS version coming over here, I actually don't see this version coming. I feel like Nintendo may have played a more significant part in its localization than with previous games. 

...Also, it might just be because my phone is a few years old, but I actually bought the Japanese version a while back when it went on sale out of curiousity, and it's a lot slower than the 3DS version. The encounters take a good 5-10 seconds to load up, and they're random encounters on mobile, so every few steps, you're stopped and have to look at a spinning effect for several seconds. It just seems to perform worse than the 3DS version overall. The 3DS version definitely seems like the better option, even if you don't dislike playing massive games on phones like I do. Though, has anyone else given the mobile version a shot? Maybe it's just my phone. :P

1 minute ago, gooieooie said:

Despite being one of the very few who were optimistic about the 3DS version coming over here, I actually don't see this version coming. I feel like Nintendo may have played a more significant part in its localization than with previous games. 

...Also, it might just be because my phone is a few years old, but I actually bought the Japanese version a while back when it went on sale out of curiousity, and it's a lot slower than the 3DS version. The encounters take a good 5-10 seconds to load up, and they're random encounters on mobile, so every few steps, you're stopped and have to look at a spinning effect for several seconds. It just seems to perform worse than the 3DS version overall. The 3DS version definitely seems like the better option, even if you don't dislike playing massive games on phones like I do. Though, has anyone else given the mobile version a shot? Maybe it's just my phone. :P

The type of phone can make a difference. Trying to play DQ8 mobile on my phone makes it run really slow (sometimes outright crashing).

That's true! Though generally, it runs fine even with 3D things, which is why I'm not 100% sure if that's the issue or not. I did see when buying it that there were more 1-star reviews than any other rating, but I didn't translate them so I'm not sure if the issues were with performance or not.

I know some people here tried the mobile version, so I'm curious to here whether it performs well for others. 

Edited by gooieooie

Seems redundant to me. The value is in playing it mobile, which we can on 3DS.

DQ7 on iPad Air (original Air) is pretty slow-loading and very, very choppy in battle. That said, I'm sure it performs better on newer devices. Regardless, I'd like to see it come here for those who do not have a 3DS, or for those who'd rather not carry their 3DS along any more. (For example, since I got a Switch, I've almost completely stopped using my 3DS, despite having a much larger library of games for the system. Not necessarily a decision to drop the 3DS, just de facto.) Also, I'm pretty sure SE told us that we'd get ALL of I-VIII on mobile in the west, I'm not OK with just letting them forget that. Anybody have a link to the post where they said that? It showed up here on the forums a couple times around the release of VIII mobile, and I think it showed up again around the release of VII 3DS.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Erdrick The Hero said:

DQ7 on iPad Air (original Air) is pretty slow-loading and very, very choppy in battle. That said, I'm sure it performs better on newer devices. Regardless, I'd like to see it come here for those who do not have a 3DS, or for those who'd rather not carry their 3DS along any more. (For example, since I got a Switch, I've almost completely stopped using my 3DS, despite having a much larger library of games for the system. Not necessarily a decision to drop the 3DS, just de facto.) Also, I'm pretty sure SE told us that we'd get ALL of I-VIII on mobile in the west, I'm not OK with just letting them forget that. Anybody have a link to the post where they said that? It showed up here on the forums a couple times around the release of VIII mobile, and I think it showed up again around the release of VII 3DS.

What, Squeenix not coming through on something they said? No way! ????

2 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

Well, they tend not to promise specifics... This time they did and we should hold them accountable.

SE did indeed say we are to get all the DQ mobile releases in their original release announcement.  I don't have time to check it out, I'm busy unpacking things (just moved), so kudos to anyone who does find it buried at the start of the mobile section (pretty sure it's there, as I recall Woodus moving all the mobile topics there from general after making the mobile section).

15 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

Wouldn't even be the first promise they broke in regards to Dragon Quest. At least they didn't print ads for it in magazines and comic books.

Bleh.

I prefer that they would just port these mobile games to PC and have them on Steam like they did with the Final Fantasy games. 

Edited by Billy MK

11 hours ago, Billy MK said:

I prefer that they would just port these mobile games to PC and have them on Steam like they did with the Final Fantasy games. 

Ewwww no. I'd love to see PC versions but I don't want mobile ports to PC, especially as bad as the Final Fantasy ones.

10 hours ago, Erdrick The Hero said:

Ewwww no. I'd love to see PC versions but I don't want mobile ports to PC, especially as bad as the Final Fantasy ones.

I don't mean a bad port, just that It should be on PC. Not same version, but the same remakes. Mainly because PC is a much better plataform to "preserve" these games than mobile. We'll always be able to run them on PC, years from now.

Edited by Billy MK

Sign in to follow this