Sign in to follow this  
Plattym3

Bugs/Errors/Typos

21 hours ago, Erdrick The Hero said:

There's a slime in the medal king's castle, talking about the library - he says the books are about the goddess and the demon king... What goddess?

Typo most likely, since, aside from 7 and 9, the English translations have been Goddess whenever the overarching uber deity is mentioned.

21 hours ago, ignasia said:

Typo most likely, since, aside from 7 and 9, the English translations have been Goddess whenever the overarching uber deity is mentioned.

That's why I posted it here.

You know, I checked this in my completed file, and sure enough that Slime does indeed say "Gooddess," or Goddess. I must have passed it off as a simple nod to other DQ games having the Goddess (whether cause of the translation or otherwise).

Maybe the Slime was just confused or something. :laugh:

Having just recruited Gabo, I decided to go back to Pilchard Bay before going to the newly restored L'Arca island, as I wanted to see if there was any change in dialogue since I now have Gabo. What ended up happening was, after speaking to Pollock, Gabo had party chat commenting on how nice Pollock is and how fuzzy his chin is!

Why do I post this here? Because I hadn't been to the top of the mountain yet in the present. When you climb the mountain in the present, the resurrected baddie of that part casts a new spell on Gabo that lets him speak perfect English. So I found it pretty funny how Gabo was speaking very broken English before (or just saying ruff for the most part) but seeing Pollock suddenly made him speak totally fine!

7 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Having just recruited Gabo, I decided to go back to Pilchard Bay before going to the newly restored L'Arca island, as I wanted to see if there was any change in dialogue since I now have Gabo. What ended up happening was, after speaking to Pollock, Gabo had party chat commenting on how nice Pollock is and how fuzzy his chin is!

Why do I post this here? Because I hadn't been to the top of the mountain yet in the present. When you climb the mountain in the present, the resurrected baddie of that part casts a new spell on Gabo that lets him speak perfect English. So I found it pretty funny how Gabo was speaking very broken English before (or just saying ruff for the most part) but seeing Pollock suddenly made him speak totally fine!

Blame it on the awesomeness that is Pollock's Beard.  Pollock's Beard is so awesome, it's treated as it's own entity, as it's own person.  Pollock's Beard is so strong, it kept him afloat for weeks at sea.  Pollock's Beard is so thick and powerful, Chuck Norris once paused to admire it.

10 minutes ago, ignasia said:

Blame it on the awesomeness that is Pollock's Beard.  Pollock's Beard is so awesome, it's treated as it's own entity, as it's own person.  Pollock's Beard is so strong, it kept him afloat for weeks at sea.  Pollock's Beard is so thick and powerful, Chuck Norris once paused to admire it.

IMG_0642.JPG.72656548b2f4bced090de7c7f14152aa.JPG

Seriously though, was what I found just an oversight?

Yeah, it is an oversight! I found about it back in December 2016:

On 2016年12月9日 at 8:14 AM, gooieooie said:

That actually reminds me of when you initially get Ruff; before he regains the ability to speak, I went to Pilchard Bay and talked to Pollock, and Ruff started talking about him in Party Chat :P

Since Party Chat is tied to what you do and where you are, it makes sense they'd slip up on a few scenarios. 

They slip up a few times in this regard, which makes sense with how many Party Chat conversations they had to make. People were posting a few at the time:

On 2016年12月9日 at 2:51 PM, ignasia said:

The party does the same when you arrive at Alltrades in the present.  The moment you land on the island, the part chat talks about the bandits before having spoken to anyone to trigger such dialogue.

On 2016年11月21日 at 5:16 PM, Erdrick The Hero said:

Once you return to the present from the Greenthumb Gardens scenario, if you go to Wilted Heart before visiting what was once Greenthumb Gardens, and read party chat, Keifer will mention that Greenthumb Gardens no longer exists. But he has no way of knowing this!

An error in terms of an Orgodemir minion being named the same as another monster, despite having different kanji, was the Bone Fish being renamed Dread Herring, despite the fact the name was already given to a Mortamor minion. This is the reason why my organization has an embargo against this monster until either it or the DQVI Dread Herring gets a name change. (Hence why last year's E3, I made this amazing poster and it's also on my Twitter account). https://twitter.com/wilyg9/status/870237938382241793

5a6de47f9aebe_YourChance.thumb.jpg.ae28f227aa66f84519f856c85111598a.jpg 

Edited by winky55

I think you take the monsters of this series a little too seriously.

There are a few other spots similar to it.  If you enter the Alltrade's area in the present, if you start up Party chat prior to even entering any building, or speaking to any NPC, or visiting the former Pilgrim's Perdition town, the party chat will discuss how you have to get those robbers.  Like...huh?  What robbers?

It's just lazy coding what triggers the dialogue and party chat messages.  Likely it's in the Japanese version as well, as I don't think they would have touched any of the trigger code for dialogue and party chat.

Most likely this has to do with the time frame to complete the game.  Since the team had to essentially copy over the PSX code to the new SE servers, before they could even touch it.  That's a rather huge job, almost like creating the game twice over, but at least the initial part was copy, instead of write from scratch.  Still it's almost definitely the main source of the lack of certain obviously necessary Quality of Life changes, certain bugs inherent to the code, and I'd wager a bigger reason for the lack of open format code to allow for future international releases (given the expense would have been a big higher for development of this remake than any previous remake by a wide margin due to the sheer amount of extra work the copy part would entail).

Things like Chimaera Wings not being present until WAY late in shops.  The removal of Padfoot and Eagle Eye (though Eagle Eye was most likely due to the map, it would still have been useful).  The lack of tweaks for the Monster classes, while human classes were overhauled considerably, where even most of the passives were altered, and extra passives were added such as resistances that weren't initially there.  The barebones and lazily handled nature of the tablet crafting system, the barebones DLC, the lack of story DLC, the fact that only one story DLC was exceptionally long compared to the rest, and had more meat and substance, while the others seemed half-finished, with the Mervyn/Melvin one clearly incomplete (the dialogue makes it OBVIOUS we're supposed to witness Mervyn doing something else, and earn his stripes and respect).  The lack of other story tablets for other critical NPCs with plenty of backstory and lead-ins to work with/on (Sharkeye for one).  The lack of tweaking of the bonus bosses.  The simplistic nature of the DLC maps, and heavy representation of certain monster groups, while others get like one, or nothing...I'd wager they probably had more in mind.  The odd choices of DLC equipment that is also found via player crafted tablets, while others are not.  The lack of special features in certain DLC equipment despite having substantially harder bosses than the equipment itself merits, as in there's literally no point to half the DLC equipment as it has no bonuses.  The bug inherent to one piece, and yes, it is inherent to the Japanese version as well, but it's gone unnoticed by pretty much every Japanese database and wiki writer/tester/cracker (the DQV armour doesn't reduce Bang property spells, but it does reduce the other fire spells, and this is the first and only piece of equipment from DQ3 onwards that is not inclusive, and the only piece in DQ7 3DS, suggesting an oversight in the code...lazy coding probably due to overwork time crunches).

So many other things.  Like how the Level 8 versions of Slimes and Metal Slimes can "summon" their own kind, but ALL other summon spells are blocked in tablet boss battles, which is stupid, as it would make the game more fun.  The lack of tweaking for difficulty in an already well balanced game.  The simplistic tweaks that turn Lucky Panel from a fortuitous and fun experience into a totally broken one...that's way too forgiving, and WAY too giving.  The simplistic tweaks to allow monster hearts and tames early.

Clearly the original game code was designed with Kiefer returning, and they couldn't find a way to make that work...so the simplistic and lazy coding for the surprise Level 50 Kiefer bonus granting an absolute 660 natural defense, which is a way for Kiefer fans to just continue playing him for awhile, and collecting DLC Stuff as Kiefer...and the simple tweak to allow the Haven to be broken early by a solo Kiefer, for the sake of playing him for an extended period, instead of a recruitment down the road.  The lack of other characters, the ease of making gold, and the uber ease of getting items.

The lazy implementation of the tablet random item chests, and the utter lack of value in having them.  The lazy method of leveling tablet bosses, which makes for slow growth, and the utter lack of value for doing so, beyond a slight challenge, that only certain monsters are able to provide (physical heavy monsters), while most offer nothing.

So definitely, mistakes like this abound.  For all the extra work though, Arte Piazza did a pretty amazing job for being such a small team.  The next remake they won't have to rewrite all the original code, as it's now in SE's Database, so they can really go all out tweaking the game from there for QoL purposes, and hopefully giving more depth and thought into the tablet system, and maybe even allowing Kiefer to join later on (preferably WITH Lala), as that would justify the fact he can equip most of the end-game and post-game equipment from the original game (could in the PSX as well...but some extras in this version, suggesting they intended to allow him to rejoin this time around).  Hopefully other things like fixing these really funky and funny triggers for dialogue that should not be.

Eh, I'd be glad if Kiefer came back, but not with his girlfriend. It would make more sense for it to be for a little while (in terms of past time) essentially getting some extra training for properly defending the Deja/Roamers. There's no better way to prove his strength then by defeating the demon lord, the very enemy of the being the tribe is trying to revive.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit