Sign in to follow this  
Plattym3

Bugs/Errors/Typos

I think my lock-up after Strom was a fluke caused by jostling the game ( NOT DQ7, something else ) in the slot during play.  Even though I was playing my downloaded copy and not off a game card, the 3DS stil detected something was screwy, and had a fit.  That's my guess, 'cause it hasn't happened again yet. Wish me luck.

This in an non-intrusive bug I've noticed, but when you start a scene that is in one area and it transports you to another area, your icon on the bottom screen on the map will be in a random spot that is not the location you are currently in within that town. It fixes itself once you leave the room you are in, but I've noticed it about a half dozen times now.

Yeah, I noticed that too, it's like it only tracks the last door you passed thru

I first noticed it in Emberdale, it has happened several times more since. If you go to the monster farm and then return to the Haven through the portal, it puts the icon in a specific spot on the haven, because I suppose it is doing just that, Woodus.

I have had it put me in one room in a town before, but then it will show me on the town as in the Weapon shop, or Inn. Usually though, it will be at one of the entrances to the town/village/

This in an non-intrusive bug I've noticed, but when you start a scene that is in one area and it transports you to another area, your icon on the bottom screen on the map will be in a random spot that is not the location you are currently in within that town. It fixes itself once you leave the room you are in, but I've noticed it about a half dozen times now.

So a bug that affixes your location to something random as you pass through a door, but before moving in the next area...interesting one.  I wonder if this affects both releases.

Really thinking about it, I wonder if it's even a bug if it does it all the time. If I'm taken from say, Faraday castle to the town of Frobisher, It won't have me in say, the item shop where it moved me. The icon will be somewhere else in the town, but once I leave that room, the icon changes to the movement tracker.

I think it's as Woodus says. It just tracks the last door you went through.

Yep, and if you warped from outside of the place, the tracker it set to probably the closest approximation of your last position.  Maybe the nearest doorway, or the literal direction of the map orientation to your last position.

I'm not sure if these are bugs or not, but a few new things I've noticed:

1. Every once in a while, ALL items that are not equipped in Maribel and Ruff's inventory will frequently end up in my bag at random. I'm already aware of the party formation switch but this wasn't that as I left their positions alone after figuring THAT bit out, thinking that would resolve my inventory problem, but nope--they keep having their medical herbs, antidote herbs, magic water, etc just randomly showing up in my bag.

This has been a bit of a problem for me because I have Maribel equipped with a whip but I'm keeping an unequipped Poison Moth Knife in her inventory for metal encounters.

This has been a big problem because I use those herbs as backup/MP conservation sometimes and they keep disappearing. O_o

2. Disappearing gold: This one is more attributed to me being lazy, really, but I noticed disappearing gold last night. Basically, I keep my bag continuously stocked with 99 Medical Herbs. I do this for dungeon healing so as to save on MP in between battles. Well, I was at a shop and changed the quantity of medical herbs to "9" while purchasing them from the merchant. Well, I had 97 herbs in my bag. Out of curiosity, I selected "9" medical herbs to purchase and place into the bag. I did this out of curiosity, as I knew you can only carry 99 but wanted to see what the game would do. So, here's what it did--it took away 9 Medical Herb's worth of gold and rounded me out to 99. So, in other words, the game took my gold, as if I'd purchased 9 herbs, but only gave me 2 more in reality while charging me for 9...is that normal? O_o It's a minor detail that I'll just avoid in the future but this one honestly surprised me.

1. Every once in a while, ALL items that are not equipped in Maribel and Ruff's inventory will frequently end up in my bag at random. I'm already aware of the party formation switch but this wasn't that as I left their positions alone after figuring THAT bit out, thinking that would resolve my inventory problem, but nope--they keep having their medical herbs, antidote herbs, magic water, etc just randomly showing up in my bag.

This has been a bit of a problem for me because I have Maribel equipped with a whip but I'm keeping an unequipped Poison Moth Knife in her inventory for metal encounters.

This has been a big problem because I use those herbs as backup/MP conservation sometimes and they keep disappearing. O_o

2. Disappearing gold: This one is more attributed to me being lazy, really, but I noticed disappearing gold last night. Basically, I keep my bag continuously stocked with 99 Medical Herbs. I do this for dungeon healing so as to save on MP in between battles. Well, I was at a shop and changed the quantity of medical herbs to "9" while purchasing them from the merchant. Well, I had 97 herbs in my bag. Out of curiosity, I selected "9" medical herbs to purchase and place into the bag. I did this out of curiosity, as I knew you can only carry 99 but wanted to see what the game would do. So, here's what it did--it took away 9 Medical Herb's worth of gold and rounded me out to 99. So, in other words, the game took my gold, as if I'd purchased 9 herbs, but only gave me 2 more in reality while charging me for 9...is that normal? O_o It's a minor detail that I'll just avoid in the future but this one honestly surprised me.

I Think if a stack reaches 99, it will start a second stack. Look around for another stack of Medicinal herbs.

I Think if a stack reaches 99, it will start a second stack. Look around for another stack of Medicinal herbs.

I will look into that, thank you. 

I'm still wondering about the disappearing inventory bit, though. That one is just weird--it ONLY happens to Maribel and Ruff. Never happened to Auster and never happened to Kiefer when he was still with us. This is the THIRD time now I've found myself putting the Poison Mouth Knife and herbs back into Maribel's inventory. I'm not sure what keeps triggering this.

Are you sure you just aren't having a shopkeeper clear out her bag because her inventory is full when you buy her something?

I'm still wondering about the disappearing inventory bit, though. That one is just weird--it ONLY happens to Maribel and Ruff. Never happened to Auster and never happened to Kiefer when he was still with us. This is the THIRD time now I've found myself putting the Poison Mouth Knife and herbs back into Maribel's inventory. I'm not sure what keeps triggering this.

The herb bit is a coding oversight since DQ4 DS.  It's one thing Arte Piazza has not accounted for.

There should be no second roll-over of items.  It just doesn't force you to stop paying.  I don't think they ever tested for this.  So I'm always careful about buying items from shops.  I don't think it does this for equipment I do believe equipment forces a max of x4 if my bag count is 95, but I'd have to test all over again.

It's same with items are put into the bag in all of the DS DQ remakes (same with their mobile versions), in that if your bag count is 99, and you place that same item from a character inventory into the bag, you just lost that extra item into the ether.  It's just gone.

I'm guessing they never once tested for this scenario, and never bothered to make those forced checks beyond equipment purchases at shops.  It's definitely in DQ6, as I just purchased over the 99 threshhold of herbs, and did so again, and again, and I just lose another Dragonsbane placing one into my bag when my bag has 99.

As for the other, you're the only one that's reported this that I've found.  Might be some kink either in the firmware or the card, or some bug was tripped at some point that forced both Maribel and Ruff/Gabo to "sort" their items, thus placing all non-equipped in the bag.  Does it also happen with important items, like the Salvation Stone?  I ask that because the item sort function for characters ignores weapons with spells, and special items like the Salvation Stone and Magic Carpet.

Haha, I'd probably never notice. Since the map in town has seemed useless to me, I've already blocked it from my working memory.

The herb bit is a coding oversight since DQ4 DS.  It's one thing Arte Piazza has not accounted for.

There should be no second roll-over of items.  It just doesn't force you to stop paying.  I don't think they ever tested for this.  So I'm always careful about buying items from shops.  I don't think it does this for equipment I do believe equipment forces a max of x4 if my bag count is 95, but I'd have to test all over again.

It's same with items are put into the bag in all of the DS DQ remakes (same with their mobile versions), in that if your bag count is 99, and you place that same item from a character inventory into the bag, you just lost that extra item into the ether.  It's just gone.

I'm guessing they never once tested for this scenario, and never bothered to make those forced checks beyond equipment purchases at shops.  It's definitely in DQ6, as I just purchased over the 99 threshhold of herbs, and did so again, and again, and I just lose another Dragonsbane placing one into my bag when my bag has 99.

As for the other, you're the only one that's reported this that I've found.  Might be some kink either in the firmware or the card, or some bug was tripped at some point that forced both Maribel and Ruff/Gabo to "sort" their items, thus placing all non-equipped in the bag.  Does it also happen with important items, like the Salvation Stone?  I ask that because the item sort function for characters ignores weapons with spells, and special items like the Salvation Stone and Magic Carpet.

You know what? I'm on the Alltrades Section now and I've yet to have Maribel and Gabo "dump" their items and Maribel has the "Salvation Stone" in her inventory. I'll keep an eye on that and let you know. I haven't had much gameplay time over the last few days so I'm still slogging through Alltrades. I finished the caves last night 

Thank you for answering the 99 herbs question. Am I the only one who does this or do you or any other Den members do the same? I like to keep 99 herbs in my bag as a way of healing in between battles while in dungeons and conserve the MP of my healers.

I've been doing it this way ever since the inception of the bag. Ironically, it's a carryover of my "99 Potions" trick from the older Final Fantasy games. To me, it's a good habit to get into.

Are you sure you just aren't having a shopkeeper clear out her bag because her inventory is full when you buy her something?

I can assure you that I'm definitely not doing that. 

I don't know if anyone else does it, I just know that I've done it a few times to my shock and amazement in each of the Zenithian DS DQ's.  DQ9 puts a hard stop, as does 8.

So has anyone found any typos yet? I stopped playing this week and for some reason I picked up Dengeki Bunko: Fighting Climax, and let me tell you, it's a damn fighting game with limited dialogue and I can't play for an hour without getting a glaring typo. It's impressive that a game as massive as Dragon Quest VII hasn't gotten any complaints of typos or errors yet.

So has anyone found any typos yet? I stopped playing this week and for some reason I picked up Dengeki Bunko: Fighting Climax, and let me tell you, it's a damn fighting game with limited dialogue and I can't play for an hour without getting a glaring typo. It's impressive that a game as massive as Dragon Quest VII hasn't gotten any complaints of typos or errors yet.

There are a few.  Like one item has HP in place of MP.  A few others Platty noticed in another topic, and I believe gooie and sword of dusk as well, though I do not recall what they are.  Very few and far between.  Yes, it's still pretty damn impressive.

There's only so many you can avoid making. Even a proofread paper can have plenty of them, as was usually the case with mine.

I usually buy up to 90 herbs, that way if I pick some up from a battle/chest/pot/barrel/cupboard/droor I don't lose them.

DQX allows for multiple stacks of an item, but has a total stack limit for the bag (upgradable through quests). Kind of useless information for DQ7, but I thought it was somewhat relevant to the conversation.

When I went through the Vile Vial tablet dungeon, I picked up 2 chests. The item looked like a few dots, no name. When I check the bag, there is an item with no name that I have. I cannot select it either so I don't know what it is.

When I went through the Vile Vial tablet dungeon, I picked up 2 chests. The item looked like a few dots, no name. When I check the bag, there is an item with no name that I have. I cannot select it either so I don't know what it is.

It's called an ellipse 😜

Finally found a typo! I must say, they did an excellent job in keeping it typo-free. I've heard of one or two only, besides this. So congratulations to the localization team, and good job!

Typo is:

I just got to the part where the world is taken over by darkness. I went and got Maribel back, and on the field she said, in Party Chat:

"I knew you wouldn't be able to save the world without me. [Hero]! Still I'm back now, so listen up: we need to head over to the Shrine of Mysteries-and no detours!"

The period after "without me" should be a comma. The sentence works on its own, like if she were to be saying "You can't do that without me. Hero! We need to go here!", but the following sentence makes it sounds incorrect since it sounds like the previous sentence was leading into it. I'm sure that was meant to be a comma.

Kinda funny. If she didn't say your name, it would be fine

I apologize if this typo has been posted already, but I just found one in Buccanham when speaking to the little boy in the church. After talking to him, Gabo/Ruff says the following:

"It's a shame her parents are a pair of meanies, though. Why won't they let him see the baby?"

Notice how Gabo calls him a "her," then immediately switches back to "him." I found that kind of amusing, but it's a mistake nonetheless.

I saw her say that line, actually, but missed the typo. :P It's a shame they couldn't keep his lines typo-free!