Sign in to follow this  
ErdrickRotoLotoOrtega

My first impressions

I've pretty much only ever played remakes except for some of the later games and It does seem to be significantly easier than the remakes of 5 and 6.

...or so I thought until I get to Alltrades in the past. Take all my spells away and then make me fight a boss that constantly blinds the entire party, after going through several floors of narrow-corridor encounter rate hell. JFC X_X

I'm about to star on Alltrades when I get home tonight. In the PS1 version, Dharma was MURDER for me. That was when I not only suffered my first party casualty up to that point, but also suffered my first party wipeout. That section is HARD and you REALLY miss Kiefer's Flame Slash at that point. 

I hope I fare better this time around--Dharma stuck with me as the most difficult point in the game, from what I remember.

It was my first casualty and wipeout as well (in the 3DS version. Never played psone version)

Still even with all that I can't say it was as hard as the fight with Murdaw to unlock Alltrades in VI.

It was my first casualty and wipeout as well (in the 3DS version. Never played psone version)

Still even with all that I can't say it was as hard as the fight with Murdaw to unlock Alltrades in VI.

*Shudder* Ah, yes... 

That one was TOUGH. I had to grind hard for that second Murdaw fight. Murdaw was murdaw. :P

• Upvote 1

I'm avoiding reading too many posts, since I'm only about 4.5 hours in and I want to fully enjoy re-discovering the game for myself (Been years since I played the PS1 version). However, I will say that this game seems to combine the depth and customization levels of VII and the beauty and personality of VIII. I was worried I would be underwhelmed after hyping this game for months in my head......I'm still very impressed. I cannot wait to see the rest of this game for the next weeks, months, and years.

I spent like 6 hours grinding (not all at once though, on and off), and now Hero, Ruff, and Maribel all have the Champion (Godhand in the original) vocation.

I... I'm also Level 30.

...I guess it's about time I do Litorud (don't know its new name yet), huh? :P

Edited by gooieooie

Probably. I did do some grinding after finishing Alltrades, but it was only to open three specific vocations for later use. I've got the Hero prepped to enter Gladiator, Maribel Sage, and Gabo Monster Masher.

Yeah, I definitely went WAY overboard, but with the the Haven's lithographs having no level cap from the seventh resident and on, and the DLC Map "Treasure Hunt" having Metal Mannequins that can be easily killed with Hatchet Man for insane EXP at this point in the game (17,500!!), I figured I'd get a good boost in both categories. 

I realize now that Mervyn and Aishe will be severely worse than the rest of the group, though :P

Maybe it's my imagination, but gold and equipment seems to be a little easier to come by in the remake. In the original I had to watch my gold budget more heavily. I still have done that to some degree in the remake(no point in buying that mallet for Kiefer when it's only 3 points higher in attack than the Copper Sword after all), but it hasn't been all that bad. Some of the chests on the overworld definitely help too.

*Shudder* Ah, yes... 

That one was TOUGH. I had to grind hard for that second Murdaw fight. Murdaw was murdaw. :P

I remember getting Yggdrasil leaves just for that fight. I did end up using part of them.

I've pretty much only ever played remakes except for some of the later games and It does seem to be significantly easier than the remakes of 5 and 6.

...or so I thought until I get to Alltrades in the past. Take all my spells away and then make me fight a boss that constantly blinds the entire party, after going through several floors of narrow-corridor encounter rate hell. JFC X_X

I'm about to star on Alltrades when I get home tonight. In the PS1 version, Dharma was MURDER for me. That was when I not only suffered my first party casualty up to that point, but also suffered my first party wipeout. That section is HARD and you REALLY miss Kiefer's Flame Slash at that point. 

I hope I fare better this time around--Dharma stuck with me as the most difficult point in the game, from what I remember.

That's definitely going to be rough ride, although I do have something planned to make it more bearable when I get there(assuming that option is available beforehand).

Edited by Stepchan

My point is that I believe the remake may just be playing tricks on some people's perceptions of the game. The original PS1 version is rather easy in its own right. I remember being surprised, too, because I was always told that VII was one of the "harder ones" and it turned out to be the easiest one for me.

You might be right there. I haven't played the PSX version (except for the first few hours), so I don't know if stuff like the automated use of Angel's tears and wholly holy water was there before or if it was changed to make the remake easier.

WHAT!!!???  The mechanics of this game jacked those encounters WAY WAY UP in certain areas.  You're early game?  Wait until the volcanoes and narrow caves.  Encounter rate level 1000!

Heh, yeah, you are right about the volcano and other narrow dungeons. But still there are many place where you can just rush through and avoid all monsters.

However, I'm just nitpicking here, the game is still awesome and I'm really enjoying it! Feels like a better version of DQIX to me. :)

I'd like a difficulty selector in these remakes. You know, something very simple like "on Hard, all enemies deal 50% more damage with all attacks and offensive spells." I'm finding DQ7 to be on the easy side as well, largely due to the fairly low damage most enemies have been dealing to my party.

My point is that I believe the remake may just be playing tricks on some people's perceptions of the game. The original PS1 version is rather easy in its own right. I remember being surprised, too, because I was always told that VII was one of the "harder ones" and it turned out to be the easiest one for me.

You might be right there. I haven't played the PSX version (except for the first few hours), so I don't know if stuff like the automated use of Angel's tears and wholly holy water was there before or if it was changed to make the remake easier.

The 3DS version of the game wouldn't let me use the Angel's Tear the first time until after I talked to the old man again after finding the underground base.

I found something a bit odd, and cannot remember if it was this way in he original....all the spells which raise defense (Buff, Etc.) are in the "Other" Section.....I feel Defense would've been more appropriate....

....I do not care at all, just thought it was interesting.

I found something a bit odd, and cannot remember if it was this way in he original....all the spells which raise defense (Buff, Etc.) are in the "Other" Section.....I feel Defense would've been more appropriate....

....I do not care at all, just thought it was interesting.

I found that odd too. I'd put Heal in Other and Buff in Defense, but it's opposite.

You're right about the encounter rate being up in the Burnmount levels, but that doesn't change the combat difficulty.

I still don't understand the thing about gear not showing up on your character. In the used Japanese version I played, there was a save file near the

end of the game where the party members were all wearing armor.

Changing classes changes your outfit, so the player probably had a party with characters in a class with an armored outfit, like Gladiator or something.

I decided to check out how slow the "Slow Battle Message" speed was. You literally have to push a button for each screen of text instead of auto scrolling. That's a bit much. I've been playing on Medium the whole time so far and felt like it scrolls just a touch too fast.

I've cleared the Faraday region past and present. This was the first region with a boss that I remembered being pretty rough to deal with in the original game. I actually lucked out with no one getting killed, a miracle considering that I had to heal up the party in the early rounds(with Maribel needing it the most). Ruff's Arooo skill managed to shock Slaughtomaton out of a turn a couple of times(strange how it can work on it).

Next up is what might as well be the soap opera part of the game if I remember correctly...

Wait, uh oh... If it's the region I'm thinking of, that means that one boss is there... one of the ones I really have to be on my toes with. Oh boy...

Of course, I'm talking about what used to be called Cavemon.

Edited by Stepchan

If it's the boss I just fought that's the next island, that boss has been the one to give me a run for my money so far.

If it's the boss I just fought that's the next island, that boss has been the one to give me a run for my money so far.

Was it this boss? (image from the PS1 version, also spoiler to be polite)

hqdefault.jpg

That's the boss alright! He was kinda rough to me and I was trying to play it safe. He just hits really, really hard. I also had my party one level above the recommended level based on that Nintendo Quick Start guide.

^

I'm probably below that level currently, since my party is 13/14/14/7.

Just got finished with the Young and the Restless, DQ style. I could go on about the characters in that situation, but I'm getting tired.

No place to save my game in Greenthumb Gardens. Need to see if there is another place in this area that does.

That's the boss alright! He was kinda rough to me and I was trying to play it safe. He just hits really, really hard. I also had my party one level above the recommended level based on that Nintendo Quick Start guide.

Tell me how hard he was hitting, because I chumped him and was pissed about the lower difficulty from the original. Perhaps I just got lucky.

^

Just got finished with the Young and the Restless, DQ style. I could go on about the characters in that situation, but I'm getting tired.

No place to save my game in Greenthumb Gardens. Need to see if there is another place in this area that does.

Two things. First of all, is this your first time playing DQ7?

Second, you can save in the inn. There's an open adventure journal on the table.

• Upvote 1

Tell me how hard he was hitting, because I chumped him and was pissed about the lower difficulty from the original. Perhaps I just got lucky.

^

Two things. First of all, is this your first time playing DQ7?

Second, you can save in the inn. There's an open adventure journal on the table.

REALLY? I totally overlooked that.

More than a few folk seem to miss it. The priest nearby can serve as a hint when you first arrive.

• Upvote 1