Sign in to follow this  
ErdrickRotoLotoOrtega

My first impressions

I think they scaled back the difficulty too much.

I agree. Sometimes it annoys me that the game outright tells me what to do next... I found those hidden stairs in Regenstein all by myself at night (but wasn't allowed to enter them). I would have tried to use those Angel's tears and the wholly holy water exactly where they were needed. And I would have given the right piece of equipment to the right saint - but no, it almost seems like the game plays itself and I'm just there to say "yes... use 'em already". Was it that easy in the PSX version?

I just hope it gets a little harder later in the game. Right after playing DQVI this is all way too easy.

Aren't all Dragon Quest remakes easier than the originals?

I agree. Sometimes it annoys me that the game outright tells me what to do next... I found those hidden stairs in Regenstein all by myself at night (but wasn't allowed to enter them). I would have tried to use those Angel's tears and the wholly holy water exactly where they were needed. And I would have given the right piece of equipment to the right saint - but no, it almost seems like the game plays itself and I'm just there to say "yes... use 'em already". Was it that easy in the PSX version?

I just hope it gets a little harder later in the game. Right after playing DQVI this is all way too easy.

Dragon Quest VII is not all that difficult, PS1 version or not. I think people often forget that. To give you an example--I didn't sustain my first death of a party member until Dharma in the PS1 version and I wasn't even over-leveled. I'm about to start Dharma/Alltrades in the remake and I'm in the same boat: leveled about normal and have yet to sustain a party death. 

I found several of those secrets before I was "supposed" to myself in the PS1 version. DQVII may be long, but it's not as difficult as some of the other games in the series. In fact, DQVII is the first (and only) game in the DQ series where I only had a party member die maybe five times total in the entire game and it's the ONLY game in the series where I only sustained ONE party wipeout. Only one. I can't say the same for ANY other title in this series.

DQVII has always been on the easy side...the remake is just even easier.

MUCH easier, yes. All of them. Easier and FASTER. That's the lay of the land with the remakes. Those complaining need to remember that this is the norm concerning DQ remakes. Just look at the Dragon Warrior I remake--MUCH easier than the original. I recently played the NES and DS versions of Dragon Quest IV and was amazed at the difficulty drop. I was struggling to get through the cave to Nadiria with a party level average of 33 in the NES version whereas I breezed through it in the DS version. 

Maybe I'm among the minority here, but I prefer the reduced difficulty of the remakes.

I kinda prefer the games to be harder, as I enjoy the challenge.

To be fair though, that might be my love of SMT talking.

Atlus has taught you well.

Dragon Quest VII is not all that difficult, PS1 version or not. I think people often forget that. To give you an example--I didn't sustain my first death of a party member until Dharma in the PS1 version and I wasn't even over-leveled. I'm about to start Dharma/Alltrades in the remake and I'm in the same boat: leveled about normal and have yet to sustain a party death. 

I found several of those secrets before I was "supposed" to myself in the PS1 version. DQVII may be long, but it's not as difficult as some of the other games in the series. In fact, DQVII is the first (and only) game in the DQ series where I only had a party member die maybe five times total in the entire game and it's the ONLY game in the series where I only sustained ONE party wipeout. Only one. I can't say the same for ANY other title in this series.

MUCH easier, yes. All of them. Easier and FASTER. That's the lay of the land with the remakes. Those complaining need to remember that this is the norm concerning DQ remakes. Just look at the Dragon Warrior I remake--MUCH easier than the original. I recently played the NES and DS versions of Dragon Quest IV and was amazed at the difficulty drop. I was struggling to get through the cave to Nadiria with a party level average of 33 in the NES version whereas I breezed through it in the DS version. 

Maybe I'm among the minority here, but I prefer the reduced difficulty of the remakes.

I'm in the minority with you.  I slogged through the originals.  No need to slog through the 2nd version.  Slog through the original if you're missing slogging.  Been there, done that.

Atlus has taught you well.

Oh yeah, they certainly have.

I'm not really complaining about easier battles or reduced encounter rates. I just miss the investigative component of earlier DQ games.

(But I'm still early in the game, so this might change ^^)

Edited by bjaxx87
  • Upvote 1

I'm in the minority with you.  I slogged through the originals.  No need to slog through the 2nd version.  Slog through the original if you're missing slogging.  Been there, done that.

Glad to see a fellow pro-Remaker here! :thumbsup:  

It's very convenient for me, really. Having a full married life and limited time to play video games, the last thing I want while playing a game is to feel like I'm slogging through a chore. There's challenge and then there's ridiculous chores and the originals, great as they are, have a lot of "chore" sections to them.

When I was a kid, I loved difficult games. With age, a career and married life, I find myself steering away from extreme difficulty in my games and prefer more..."leisure" gaming.

But, yeah--Dragon Quest VII is one of the easier installments in the series, PS1 or 3DS.

I love occasionally playing the old NES titles for reasons of nostalgia but that's it. There's grinding and there's GRINDING and the old NES titles had a tad bit TOO much of that, in my opinion.

I'm not really complaining about easier battles or reduced encounter rates. I just miss the investigative component of earlier DQ games.

My point is that I believe the remake may just be playing tricks on some people's perceptions of the game. The original PS1 version is rather easy in its own right. I remember being surprised, too, because I was always told that VII was one of the "harder ones" and it turned out to be the easiest one for me.

WHAT!!!???  The mechanics of this game jacked those encounters WAY WAY UP in certain areas.  You're early game?  Wait until the volcanoes and narrow caves.  Encounter rate level 1000!

Just beaten boss and women returned to village, i remembered why i adore this series so much, even NPCs are great and i've attached to them, i like Maribel so far :)

That is where I am at too. I brought my 3DS XL with me to work to play at lunch while watching the Builders stream.

I can't stand Maribel so far.

• Upvote 1

I just wish combat was a littler harder. I took down the first boss with no problem. Rarely do I ever have an "oh $#!&" moment where I panic to heal my party members. I remember being way out of my depth when reaching Frobisher in the PSX version...those Automotons could take a third of your HP with one hit. Right now, they barely even ding one of my party members. Not challenging at all.

Still loving the game...I just wish the combat wasn't so easy.

I think it's worth pointing out there's a big difference between difficult and tedious.

A lot of things in the PSX version weren't hard, just immensely time consuming and without much stimulation. IE the Monster heart drops. There's nothing really challenging about it, it's a game of chance and nothing more. You could get one in an hour or you could get it in a week, or any other time frame.

I think it's worth pointing out there's a big difference between difficult and tedious.

A lot of things in the PSX version weren't hard, just immensely time consuming and without much stimulation. IE the Monster heart drops. There's nothing really challenging about it, it's a game of chance and nothing more. You could get one in an hour or you could get it in a week, or any other time frame.

I agree. That's not what I'm talking about. The combat just isn't as difficult as it was. I'm glad the game has been streamlined in other ways, because I don't want to have to spend another 200 hours trying to complete it. I just think there should have been a middle ground in terms of grinding. At the moment, I never feel like I'm in danger of dying. Ever.

I don't know about you guys but I don't miss the half-hour boss fights one bit.

Me neither. They were monotonous. What's the point of a boss battle that literally involves you doing the SAME thing over and over and over? Now, if the bosses changed up their tactics after hitting a certain HP level, that would be different. DQVII is FAMOUS for long, monotonous boss battles. I'm happy to see those go. 

• Upvote 1

WHAT!!!???  The mechanics of this game jacked those encounters WAY WAY UP in certain areas.  You're early game?  Wait until the volcanoes and narrow caves.  Encounter rate level 1000!

So far I have fought more things in the Volcano and the Grotta del Sigillo combined than everywhere else put together. It may as well have been the old style of random encounter where you don't see the enemies on the map.

Me neither. They were monotonous. What's the point of a boss battle that literally involves you doing the SAME thing over and over and over? Now, if the bosses changed up their tactics after hitting a certain HP level, that would be different. DQVII is FAMOUS for long, monotonous boss battles. I'm happy to see those go. 

I absolutely agree. 

I've pretty much only ever played remakes except for some of the later games and It does seem to be significantly easier than the remakes of 5 and 6.

...or so I thought until I get to Alltrades in the past. Take all my spells away and then make me fight a boss that constantly blinds the entire party, after going through several floors of narrow-corridor encounter rate hell. JFC X_X

I've pretty much only ever played remakes except for some of the later games and It does seem to be significantly easier than the remakes of 5 and 6.

...or so I thought until I get to Alltrades in the past. Take all my spells away and then make me fight a boss that constantly blinds the entire party, after going through several floors of narrow-corridor encounter rate hell. JFC X_X

That sounds rough. According to the Nintendo Quick start guide. I'm at point 18 (Frobisher) and 10 away from hitting Alltrades (28). I don't look forward to that if that's the case, haha.

That sounds rough. According to the Nintendo Quick start guide. I'm at point 18 (Frobisher) and 10 away from hitting Alltrades (28). I don't look forward to that if that's the case, haha.

Well to be fair you DO get fully healed before the boss battle, but only on your first attempt.

• Upvote 1

Well to be fair you DO get fully healed before the boss battle, but only on your first attempt.

How did you fare? I haven't had too much of an issue with difficulty yet. I've been playing with my party on 'Fight Wisely' but that's just Maribel basically casting Bang on everything first round, making it easier.

Except in boss battles. I switch everyone back to 'Follow Orders' so I can be a touch more strategic with my approach.

Me neither. They were monotonous. What's the point of a boss battle that literally involves you doing the SAME thing over and over and over? Now, if the bosses changed up their tactics after hitting a certain HP level, that would be different. DQVII is FAMOUS for long, monotonous boss battles. I'm happy to see those go.
Again, I'm not talking about the tedious parts. There's a middle ground between 30 minute boss fights and 3 minute boss fights. I refuse to believe that things need to be one extreme or the other.

I won by the skin of my teeth on my second attempt with only Ruff surviving.

my strategy was to have Ruff on Fight Wisely since basic attacks are pretty much all you can do in this fight, and have maribel with the salvation stone on "focus on healing" to just try and survive as long as possible.

Edited by SlimeVagrant

Past Dharma/Alltrades is really annoying

I lost the initial non-Flower dupe (the one where you literally cannot win) fight with Inopp and Gonz this time, though that was partially due to accidentally hitting Run a bunch if times. Why did they have to include that in everyone's action menu -.-?

Geeze, I'm 10 spots away. I just want to get to Lucky Panel.