Sign in to follow this  
ErdrickRotoLotoOrtega

My first impressions

I just reached Alltrades Abbey, and I'm having a blast. If anything automatically makes a game better, it's a job system. 

... I totally fell for the fake Alltrades Abbey. I was so excited to change my class I ran straight into the fake priest's trap. You betrayed my love for job systems, you horrible, horrible game. It led to a very cool story though. Also, note the name of the arena: "Allblades Abbey", hur hur.

I also got the first three reformed monsters in The Haven, and downloaded some official tablets from the Download Bar. One word of advice: whoever labeled the Feral Forest tablet as "Level 15+" is a LIAR. My party was +- level 16, and got wiped out during the first turn of my first encounter with two purple monkey's (I believe they were called 'Utter Nutters') when they both did a 100+ damage boulder attack. I'm gonna wait a while before trying that one again. 

Also, note the name of the arena: "Allblades Abbey", hur hur.

Okay this officially my favorite name change so far.

It was just The Coliseum in the PSX version, iirc

Well, I'm enjoying it so far. The new translation is a lot better as are the lack of random encounters (though, I admit that the tight dungeon hallways makes it more difficult to avoid encounters). I'm noticing some lag here and there, but it's not too bad. Still hate Maribel, but I didn't see that changing.

On a different note, is the DQVII link on the front page of this site saying "Buy it now for PS4!" to anyone else? It sent me to a DQH Amazon page.

Ok, is it me or is the encounter rate way up? The narrow corridors of Engow's volcano had me fighting 2 battles I couldn't avoid between each set of stairs. I remember clearly getting lucky about 1/2 the time in the volcano and not having an encounter at all between some stairs. This is clearly up in this dungeon, just wondering if in general it feels like more for everyone else.

Yeah, I actually got lost in the volcano last night and kept having to return to Pamela to heal up because there were so many encounters.

OK, minor annoyance #3 for me. I like having my order: Keifer, Hero, Mari$#!&@. Every. Single. Tiny. Cutscene. Brings my lineup back to the default. This is going to piss me off the whole game. Just beat the volcano and I've reordered a good 7 or 8 times so far. Grrrrrrr.

Yeah, this is SUPER irritating. I have Auster, Kiefer, Maribel, but it's switched it to Auster, Maribel, Kiefer a couple of times already.

That kept throwing me off in the Japanese version too. It's weird, but whatever, it's a quick fix.

A quick fix you have to keep doing over and over again.

No love for Maribel :P

Well, she's a $#!&@. She grew on me at around hour 175 of the PSX translation. Let's hope they gave her some good character development in this localization.

I think I need to start a censorship topic about the Den.

I haven't said anything, but it is a little bizarre how certain words are censored here. I often find myself throwing in an eff bomb into my posts, because I know that the censor will just cover it up. Over at Reddit, I let the curse words flow freely, but I reign it back on more intimate forums like this. However, it would be nice if every swear word wasn't censored here, since I think the majority of posters on this forum are at least 20 and up. But then, I think I remember digging through ancient posts that involved some drama with a certain forum goer who used the F-bomb a lot when she went off on somebody (which seemed to be every other post, from what I found). So maybe that was the justification.

I'd blame it on a girl I once dated on and off for a year being so similar, but I'd played dw7 twice before that and never really enjoyed her. Oh well, I got party members enough later without her!

Holy crap, are you me?

Pfft, you're crazy, that's not why those users joined. I mean, it was totally to discuss Dragon Quest and not a strategy RPG series.

I mean, that's just crazy if that was the reason they joined and never came back!

I have no ideas what you guys are talking about. Story time?

And on the censorship note, I just read we partied all night after fixing the volcano and ate & drank "tea and sandwiches". Ummm... sounds like a real party town.

Yeah, that stuck out as a little strange to me.

Edited by AustNerevar

Ok, is it me or is the encounter rate way up? The narrow corridors of Engow's volcano had me fighting 2 battles I couldn't avoid between each set of stairs. I remember clearly getting lucky about 1/2 the time in the volcano and not having an encounter at all between some stairs. This is clearly up in this dungeon, just wondering if in general it feels like more for everyone else.

Yeah, I actually got lost in the volcano last night and kept having to return to Pamela to heal up because there were so many encounters.

OK, minor annoyance #3 for me. I like having my order: Keifer, Hero, Mari$#!&@. Every. Single. Tiny. Cutscene. Brings my lineup back to the default. This is going to piss me off the whole game. Just beat the volcano and I've reordered a good 7 or 8 times so far. Grrrrrrr.

Yeah, this is SUPER irritating. I have Auster, Kiefer, Maribel, but it's switched it to Auster, Maribel, Kiefer a couple of times already.

That kept throwing me off in the Japanese version too. It's weird, but whatever, it's a quick fix.

A quick fix you have to keep doing over and over again.

No love for Maribel :P

Well, she's a $#!&@. She grew on me at around hour 175 of the PSX translation. Let's hope they gave her some good character development in this localization.

I think I need to start a censorship topic about the Den.

I haven't said anything, but it is a little bizarre how certain words are censored here. I often find myself throwing in an eff bomb into my posts, because I know that the censor will just cover it up. Over at Reddit, I let the curse words flow freely, but I reign it back on more intimate forums like this. However, it would be nice if every swear word wasn't censored here, since I think the majority of posters on this forum are at least 20 and up. But then, I think I remember digging through ancient posts that involved some drama with a certain forum goer who used the F-bomb a lot when she went off on somebody (which seemed to be every other post, from what I found). So maybe that was the justification.

I'd blame it on a girl I once dated on and off for a year being so similar, but I'd played dw7 twice before that and never really enjoyed her. Oh well, I got party members enough later without her!

Holy crap, are you me?

Pfft, you're crazy, that's not why those users joined. I mean, it was totally to discuss Dragon Quest and not a strategy RPG series.

I mean, that's just crazy if that was the reason they joined and never came back!

I have no ideas what you guys are talking about. Story time?

And on the censorship note, I just read we partied all night after fixing the volcano and ate & drank "tea and sandwiches". Ummm... sounds like a real party town.

Yeah, that stuck out as a little strange to me.
On the second to last one, there were a few members that joined just to spam us with infographics on censorship in FE Fates and tell us why Nintendo's changes were wrong and the we never heard from them again.

It's long but it's worth a skim. It was pretty funny. http://www.woodus.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=33942&view=&hl=&fromsearch=1

Edited by eal

My God, if I never play the DQ7 volcano dungeon again in my life, that'll be okay by me.

Also, I thought when you equipped things, it would show on your character? I actually prefer that it doesn't but did they change this for the English release?

My God, if I never play the DQ7 volcano dungeon again in my life, that'll be okay by me.

Also, I thought when you equipped things, it would show on your character? I actually prefer that it doesn't but did they change this for the English release?

I think it's like DQ8 where only weapons and shields show up on your character. I don't know anything about the japanese version though.

I think it's like DQ8 where only weapons and shields show up on your character. I don't know anything about the japanese version though.

It's as you described. Only weapons and shield change.

Well dang, I could've sworn when playing the Japanese version on my friends JP 3DS that it was any equipped item. Guess I was imagining things.

Nope. Only item that directly changes appearance (and that's only for females) is the bonus item you can win by defeating God.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

Nope. Only item that directly changes appearance (and that's only for females) is the bonus item you can win by defeating God.

Well by then I won't even care enough to equip the special item. To beat God all the necessary times in the PSX version I had to cheat, which I'm normally opposed to, but at that point I was just wanting to see everything the game had to offer, but had no more desire to spend time in the game, after having put in 200 hours already. I maxed out all my characters skills and set the emulator to turbo for the God battles.

• Upvote 1

I love the animations for the monsters. I have been the most amused by far when you slay a 'The Quiller' and they spin out in the air as they fade away.

• Upvote 1

I think I just found an even better one.

I just saw the very touching scene in which Carraway finds Lavender's grave at the convent. The convent is called 'Regrette Rien' convent, aka, the 'I REGRET NOTHING' convent.

I also really like the name they gave to the Scarfish enemy; a pun on both Starfish and Scarface. Good translation so far.

Edited by ChrystalChameleon

I think I just found an even better one.

I just saw the very touching scene in which Carraway finds Lavender's grave at the convent. The convent is called 'Regrette Rien' convent, aka, the 'I REGRET NOTHING' convent.

I also really like the name they gave to the Scarfish enemy; a pun on both Starfish and Scarface. Good translation so far.

I thought it was about Regretting the grey rain

Edited by Glaceon Mage

I finally got to play some, but I am only an hour into it. So far, it is great! I like all of the world building that they are doing right now, and I really hope that it pays off later on, because I would really like to fight some slimes right now!

• Upvote 2

it seems I am late to the party.

Believe it!

As far as the tea and sandwich all-night-party goes; I party chatted with Prince Kiefer the next morning and he mentioned that it was some "strong" tea. Hinting that it was alcoholic.

Edited by Mischief Comics

As far as the tea and sandwich all-night-party goes; I party chatted with Prince Kiefer the next morning and he mentioned that it was some "strong" tea. Hinting that it was alcoholic.

Or roofied.

Just beaten boss and women returned to village, i remembered why i adore this series so much, even NPCs are great and i've attached to them, i like Maribel so far :)

• Upvote 1

Just beaten boss and women returned to village, i remembered why i adore this series so much, even NPCs are great and i've attached to them, i like Maribel so far :)

I hope you let Freeza have a turn at playing.

I think they scaled back the difficulty too much.