Sign in to follow this  
ErdrickRotoLotoOrtega

My first impressions

Well, I made it to the first dark world in the past now titled "Ballymoral' instead of "Rexwood".

Two words: Simply AMAZING. 

This is, without a doubt, one of the best video game remakes I've ever played. EVERYTHING is improved: music, graphics, dialogue--everything.

I simply love the newfound life and personality that's been breathed into the game. 

The graphics are GORGEOUS! They are essentially a marriage of the DQVIII and IX concepts with some DQV for PS2 thrown in. This game, for the most part, feels as if they took the ideas from DQIX and fully realized them this time around. NOTHING hinky in this system.

I'm finding it an absolute joy just wandering around. The game has an atmosphere quite reminiscent of DQVIII, in many ways.

I love the fighting system as well: somehow smoother and more efficient than even the 2D games.

Maribel...I'm not sure what the majority stance is on her character but I've always loved her. I love her even more now. People were worried she'd be toned down in this game? Damn, talk about the opposite--she's even MORE of a spitfire in this one! I love her.

The island of Estard feels more alive now. I loved the mixed society of "purists" and "skeptics" and how the game makes it more plain and clear that Auster, Kiefer, Maribel and some others have always believed deep down that there was more to the world. Meanwhile, you have your "purists" who consider it almost blasphemy to even utter the NOTION of potential continents other than Estard.

Wow, this is a massive improvement over the original. This game feels like a gift, in many ways--it's quintessential Dragon Quest at its best.

So many little nuances that also impress me:

-People looking up/down to speak to you

-King Donald taking Auster by the hand and sitting him on his throne

-Little food contents in cooking pots on stoves

-Maribel hiking up her skirt while running

-Hondura/Pike sleeping with a drunken smile on his face

Wow...the world is so alive in this game.

This remake somehow exceeded my expectations. I found myself laughing at several points. Amusing and heartfelt characters.

Special mention: Prince Kiefer and King Donald...ha! Funny. :P

Anyway, back to playing!

What does everything think so far?

• Upvote 1

I've found the camera controls to be lacking. Mostly when it comes to walking around the overworld, which also feels incredibly small to me for some reason despite being technically very big. Maybe it's just looking down at the map on the lower screen and seeing how little space there is before you enter another location that needs to load in. The close camera doesn't help much either. Or it might just be because the most recent game I played was VIII, which is so far the king of massive scale in the series (excluding X since most of us really haven't played it). Also the menus feel really slow. As soon as I open a menu or get into battle, it seems like theres a lag between my input and the response onscreen.

Those are mostly my only complaints though, it's otherwise perfectly fine.

• Upvote 2

First impression, it looks fantastic. Way more details than I expected.

The only time I've had problems with the camera so far is outside of Ballymolloy's border. I was literally next to it and got confused adjusting the camera, kind of tense since monsters were spawning and I was trying to get inside the town.

Monsters weren't an issue for me. They spawn pretty rapidly, but when you first head to Ballymolloy you have an OP party member until you get there, then you get another one while climbing the tower, so you have some good backup for early bits. None of the monsters have been particularly intimidating so far.

I didn't have her anymore(already visited the town) and had finished leveling to 3. My party was a bit wore down at that point and was I trying to enter the town(while I was attempting to adjust the camera) to rest at the inn. I just didn't want any bad luck to occur this early in the game.

Edited by Stepchan

Good first impressions:

+ Kiefer and Maribel have a lot more personality than they originally did, and give me of a justification for tagging along with the hero than before.

+ Splendid array of character models and assets. Everything is beautiful to look at, especially for a 3DS game.

+ No fane puzzles.

+ Minor story changes are almost always for the better.

Things I'm concerned about.

- The major changes made to the prologue don't quite set the mood like the original did.

- Menu input isn't very smooth. There seems to be a 1/5 second delay with each menu input, which is a little frustrating when the DS games' menu navigation was seamless and blazing fast.

• Upvote 1

My only real gripe has been the camera. Was used to the rotation needed playing others in the series including the original but on the overworld and especially in battle I feel the camera is just too close.

• Upvote 1

I'm glad I'm not the only one to notice this individual problems I pointed out. I thought I was crazy and everyone that thinks it's amazing and has no problems was gonna pop in and tell me I'm wrong.

• Upvote 1

If I play it in 3D, there's significant frame drop when a character selects a monster group/single monster, as metool said, the text box delay is there, it's about as bad as it was in DQIX. I wonder why this is an issue? DQIV-VI had blazin' fast text menus.

I'll weigh in, having spent 7:07 with the game, and having returned from the 2nd landmass, to the present.

Good stuff!

+ The writing is lively and nuanced, a far better script, in far better font than the old PSOne release.  Characters sound fun and full of vigor,most especially your own party.

+ Fleshed out 3D models for EVERYTHING. Monsters which were decently animated in the past now spring to life in battlefields with animations for every key moment: Attacks, deaths, even sleep!

these models also look absolutely fantastic.  Vibrant and glossy and well animated.

+ Lifelike, subtle touches are everywhere. Characters glance at you when talking.  Key items are actually seen as they are handed to you by NPCs.   Not even PS4 RPGs do this.

+ MIDI or not, the music has been improved over the original and sounds so sweet.  Honestly, the poorly looped MP3s of the symphonic suite (I think I'm told that was the case 3 years ago in Japan?) would've driven me up the wall.  This iteration of the music nails it.

+ The world map areas give me the same sense of life and exploration as DQ8 way back when.

+ the temple, both getting through it, and assembling the plinths, is streamlined and simple.  No hour long puzzly cave to the temple anymore.  Just 20 minutes of fetchquesting.  It still takes the same amount of overall time, with the surrounding events, to get to your first fight, but still... it's much smoother overall.

Not good stuff!

- that same map has crazy pop-in on the trees.  Everything else looks fine but them (the spawning monsters don't count).

- the camera turns smoothly, rapidly, and instantly on the interior areas, when it's allowed to.  It can even be instantly reset at the push of two buttons. The world map cam, however, has momentum and sluggishness that take some getting used to, plus, it has no recentering option.  Also the field of vision is a little wonky when things are closely packed.  When it presses against an impenetrable object, like a mountain or a town, you can't see anything. 

- that Saint statue puzzle... while I like how they streamlined the gathering of the relics, did they have to idiot-proof the placement of the items?  You literally can't get it wrong. It saves time that could be spend adventuring, yes, but I've liked to see it tax the ol' processor a little better... choose which one goes where, and scrub off the reliefs that provide the clues you don't need, 'cause you place the right object automatically?  If the statues are going to give hints to proper placement, why not let us mess it up once or twice, if we can't figure the baldfaced tells all over the place?  Make it the first real test?

- Framerates in battle and the overworld, especially with 3D on, take a few notable dips here and there.  I half expect it in a 3DS game, but it's still worth noting.

So we have a game, despite 3 years of age, pushes the envelope on technical achievement on 3DS, that retells one of the greatest stories of our fave fabled franchise, and pretty much nails it on most counts!  these nitpicks above are worth acknowledging, but nobody, and nothing is perfect.  this is an amazing game, and I look forward to the next 115 hours or so.

• Upvote 1

As someone who never played the original, here are my impressions (I am currently at Frobisher):

- I was initally disappointed when I heard the orchestral soundtrack was cut, but the midi-versions don't sound half bad. I still kind of wish we could have gotten the orchestral version, but overall I'm pretty satisfied with the quality of the music and sound.

- I like the characters already! I love Maribel's brattyness, and the way she competely changes her behaviour when talking to Auster's mother. 

- The opening was pretty slow - as expected, since the game is pretty famous for it's slow prologue. It's pretty unique, but after an hour or so of running from place to place I did find myself hoping it would end soon so I could finally try out the weapons and armor I bought. One thing that also disappointed me was the 'puzzle' with bringing the items to the knights in front of the Assembly Room. Getting the items was, once again, just running from place to place without any challenge. When I reached the temple, I spoke to the first knight to figure out which item belonged to him... just to have the game straight up tell me. Hmm. To the people who played the PSX game, is this puzzle more challenging in the original? Enough negativity though, because the next section of the game is amazing.

- Going into spoiler territory here: 

the first story is really, REALLY GOOD. I did not expect the first story to be so good. When I arrived at the town and Maeve didn't follow me, I assumed she was a ghost or something - she was hanging around graves, after all - I never thought she would turn out to be the boss of the monsters. By the time I reached the tower, I had clean forgotten about the origin of the town name, so the reveal came as quite a surprise. Her boss battle made me really sad - she never even attacked me. Visiting the graves at the end of the story was also sad, seeing the flowers and giving the wooden doll to Patrick. Overall, this would honestly have to be one of my favorite Dragon Quest short stories, 

-Can you actually sell the wooden doll?! After the mines I sold some of my equipment, and the shop listed the wooden doll as a sellable item worth 1G. You'd have to be heartless to sell an item like that.

- I really enjoyed the puzzles with the rainbow rocks in the mines. They were challenging, but not too difficult. I'm kind of hoping to get more puzzles like this later in the game.

- The story with the villagers who turned to stone was also very unique - it's not the first time I've seen this setup in a game, but it IS the first time I've seen it in which the cure had already been found, but couldn't be used due to how eroded the statues had become. It's a very creative take on an often-used trope. 

- Upon reaching Frobisher, I was confused to see robots. "Dragon Quest's worlds usually don't  have technology like this", I said to myself... and then remembered the existence of the Hunter Mech enemy. Oops.

Good game so far!

Yeah, in the original temple, you had to actually decide which items to put on which saint statues.  Here, they made it impossible to get wrong.  I miss that.

Would've been a great place to test the player's abilities, even if only a little.  the only consequence would be.. what? Take the item back and try again?

Still great game, just hope that's the extent of the handholding.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, in the original temple, you had to actually decide which items to put on which saint statues.  Here, they made it impossible to get wrong.  I miss that.

Would've been a great place to test the player's abilities, even if only a little.  the only consequence would be.. what? Take the item back and try again?

Still great game, just hope that's the extent of the handholding.

Kind of a shame they changed it. Why even include the puzzle if the player isn't allowed to find the answer by themselves? It didn't even seem like that difficult of a puzzle, I'm sure the average player could have solved it pretty easily. 

I'm glad the rest of the game so far has been less hand-holdy than the opening. Can't wait to finally get to Alltrades Abbey and get into the job system!

Hey everyone. For all of you complaining that the overworld camera rotates slowly (I know there was a couple of you that said that) Go into settings and change the field camera to type 2. It's a lot more responsive on rotating.

• Upvote 1

For me:

• Even though I already knew about it, the removal of the Temple puzzles is saddening. The running around the overworld isn't a very engaging replacement. Also, the Saint's directly ask if you want to put the correct piece on the pedestal. While the riddles were simple enough, I would rather be allowed to figure it out myself, like in the PSX version.
  • The translation actually seems proofread! Yay!
  • The game directly tells you if the Shards you have don't fit into a selected pedestal, and the shards are outlined. While I don't mind the landmass being pictured on the pedestal, the shard outlines made it a bit too easy.
  • I don't really like the shard names being changed from [element]Shard to Fragment. I would prefer if they were named Earth/Fire/Wind/Water Fragment, personally.
  • ...Why doesn't the fairy dude have a name?
I'm at Engow/Emberdale, currently.
  • Upvote 1

I'm glad I'm not the only one bothered by the loss of Fire/Aqua/Wind/Earth Shards. Calling them [insert color here] Fragments is boring.

I kinda miss the dark tone the shrine originally had when you stepped up to the pedestals to place shards. It had a proper dark tone. Now you have a cutesy fairy who operates the legendary and mysterious temple with the attitude of a fast food worker slinging you a Big Mac. Hell, the pedestal room is set up like a McDonald's menu to boot.

Overall, the changes were needed to smooth things out, but I wish they had picked a darker character to host things. Maybe a stereotypical wizard that speaks in semi-riddles. I'm ready to finish Ballymoral, and at least the dark tone there has been nicely kept intact.

• Upvote 1

Have you guys tried the battles with weak 3D setting on?  I cant seem to see any difference, maybe I was just tired last night, but the menus seems to input more smoothly when I used that setting with the 3D effect on.  Ill try it again later but lemme know what ya think. 

I never even played the original and I felt like something was wrong with getting the saint statue items. It was so boring just walking around, push two buttons to recieve item, repeat 3 more times.

It also bothers the heck out of me how the trees in the overworld just seem to pop in and out of existance when passing a certain radius around them.

I really didn't enjoy the first two hours of the game from a gameplay standpoint. There's a lot of wandering back and forth across the overworld with not a single monster to break the monotony, followed by what can barely be considered a puzzle.

Once I got the 3 yellow fragments, the game started to pick up, with actual monsters to fight and puzzles to solve. It actually started feeling like a Dragon Quest game at that point and now I'm enjoying it.

• Upvote 1

For everyone complaining--your complaints are true and valid and I recognized all of them...they just don't bother me, though. I don't know--framerates, midi/symphonic music, tiny menu delays, etc just don't bother me enough to even acknowledge. Stuff like that just doesn't bug me much in video games, I guess.

As for those talking about the overworld--as the other poster stated, use "Type 2" for "Field Camera". It's a MASSIVE improvement over "Type 1".

Moar:

- The flame-hats in Engow look ridiculous, not to mention dangerous... I prefer the torches.

- A lot of the statues in Dialac no longer glow :(

Honestly, the Saint statue bits were boring to me. They replaced the original prologue with a less interesting one that kind of spoils the mood of neglect and discovery that the original intro had. Don't get me wrong, it needed to be revamped and streamlined. But I feel like they could've found a better middle ground.

Never played this before, so I dug right in.

I just got to my first battle. So far, so good!

Maybe it's because I'm used to modern Zelda openings, but I didn't think the intro was all that slow. The characters and NPCs are very lively and the writing is a lot of fun. The game does a great job conveying people's personalities with just a couple lines of dialogue (Maribel in particular is pretty hilarious: "Thanks for the adventure. Let's never do it again.") and I'm digging the variety of accents as well. Like the Irish guy at the Rainbow's End Bank (I get it!) or the warrior near the graveyard having a Scottish accent.

The music is quite good but I still wish for the orchestral soundtrack...*sigh*

And yeah, I'll agree with the complaints about the Saint puzzle--it wasn't really a puzzle so much as a very straightforward fetch quest, and while the spirit of adventure was there, it would've been nice to have a bit more agency in choosing which piece goes to which statue.

Now looking forward to this strange new world I've been whisked off to...

Maybe it's because I'm used to modern Zelda openings, but I didn't think the intro was all that slow.

It's funny that you say this, because I've always considered DQVII to be the "Zelda entry" of the DQ franchise, with everything from the puzzles right down to Auster's pointed hat.

The music is quite good but I still wish for the orchestral soundtrack...*sigh*

When I booted the game up, the first thing I noticed was how disappointingly...synthesized the soundtrack was.

And yeah, I'll agree with the complaints about the Saint puzzle--it wasn't really a puzzle so much as a very straightforward fetch quest, and while the spirit of adventure was there, it would've been nice to have a bit more agency in choosing which piece goes to which statue.The music is quite good but I still wish for the orchestral soundtrack...*sigh*

To me, this was worse than the original opening. Yeah, the original was slow, but at least it was engaging. This opening was boring. and I personally don't like the feeling of the Assembly Room. It completely steals away the "ancient" and "untouched" mood that the fane ruins gave me when playing the PS1 version. I don't mind that they streamlined it, I just wish they'd executed it in a manner that is more fitting with the game's atmosphere. 

Edited by AustNerevar