Sign in to follow this  
wiregu

"Nintendo took half of the bill!" for DQVII3DS

I just wanted to link to this interview where Noriyoshi Fujimoto, the producer of DQVII 3DS, says a lot of interesting stuff!

There are a lot of things that everybody did to make this happen, but one of the things was a Facebook petition that was very active. I think the thing that influenced us the most were the letters that people sent us. These letters came to the Square-Enix office from all over the world. I thought it was pretty normal for Dragon Quest producers to receive these letters, but the fans actually sent letters to the President, Vice President, Executive team, even Final Fantasy producers and producers of other titles as well! These letters started piling up on my desk. Every day I would come to work and somebody who received a letter would bring them to my desk. Once it started piling up, I realized that I really needed to reconsider and make this happen. The letters aren't just copied and pasted; they actually catered the content for each of the addressees!

The sheer translation volume of Dragon Quest VII is more than 2 times Dragon Quest V, so it's a gigantic game. It was really hard to make the business decision to localize the game. With Nintendo, we were able to work it out and work hand-in-hand and make it happen together. To be completely blunt, it's like Nintendo took half of the bill!

I can't believe that they acknowledge our letters, and that Nintendo was so eager to help. Nintendo does great stuff behind the scenes and get little credit for it. Anyway, I'm really happy that things ended up like this. I spent some time with a broken 3DS until I found this article so it's like a reminder to get a new 3DS asap lol!

Edited by wiregu
  • Upvote 4

That's pretty cool.

I hope this gives the franchise the kick it needs here.

• Upvote 2

I have come to the conclusion that the DQ fan base is one the most dedicated fan bases in all of history.

• Upvote 6

I have come to the conclusion that the DQ fan base is one the most dedicated fan bases in all of history.

I heard this Jesus guy's been getting a lot of groundswell lately.

• Upvote 5

I'm really thankful that they did this. I really hope it sells well. :)

• Upvote 1

That guy all the way over in Palestine? Nah two thousand years from now he'll probably be forgotten, he would have to be some crazy radical claiming to be the Son of God, or something, and even then he'd have to like I don't know come back from the dead or turn wtaer into wine.

• Upvote 1

Really? I read that this "reading" thing is an inconvenience and the bible never took off.

Really? I read that this "reading" thing is an inconvenience and the bible never took off.

I don't think I'd want to live in a world without reading.

I see what you did there. :D

I am so glad that this game is finally coming over here.I waited four years for this day.

God is that you? We were just talking about your son, say, how is he?

I mean, it's mostly being sold at little independent bookstores right now, but I'm sure it'll reach a wider audience soon enough. I'm hoping it will follow the trend of YA novels being made into movie franchises and TV shows on cable networks.

• Upvote 1

I mean, it's mostly being sold at little independent bookstores right now, but I'm sure it'll reach a wider audience soon enough. I'm hoping it will follow the trend of YA novels being made into movie franchises and TV shows on cable networks.

Think HBO will get the rights?

I hope not. They couldn't do it justice. The Bible Series really needs to be portrayed 100% accurately and with no deviations for it to be a good adaptation. A lot of people are putting they're on spins and interpretations on it lately and I'm just over it.

I'm so glad this happened. Now I can finally experience DQ7 for the first time.

• Upvote 1

I just wanted to link to this interview where Noriyoshi Fujimoto, the producer of DQVII 3DS, says a lot of interesting stuff!

There are a lot of things that everybody did to make this happen, but one of the things was a Facebook petition that was very active. I think the thing that influenced us the most were the letters that people sent us. These letters came to the Square-Enix office from all over the world. I thought it was pretty normal for Dragon Quest producers to receive these letters, but the fans actually sent letters to the President, Vice President, Executive team, even Final Fantasy producers and producers of other titles as well! These letters started piling up on my desk. Every day I would come to work and somebody who received a letter would bring them to my desk. Once it started piling up, I realized that I really needed to reconsider and make this happen. The letters aren't just copied and pasted; they actually catered the content for each of the addressees!

The sheer translation volume of Dragon Quest VII is more than 2 times Dragon Quest V, so it's a gigantic game. It was really hard to make the business decision to localize the game. With Nintendo, we were able to work it out and work hand-in-hand and make it happen together. To be completely blunt, it's like Nintendo took half of the bill!

I can't believe that they acknowledge our letters, and that Nintendo was so eager to help. Nintendo does great stuff behind the scenes and get little credit for it. Anyway, I'm really happy that things ended up like this. I spent some time with a broken 3DS until I found this article so it's like a reminder to get a new 3DS asap lol!

Yep, I have to agree.  I really appreciate that they've stopped the ridiculous corporate lines, and are starting to give it to us straight up.  I like that.  It puts SE higher up in my esteem as a company (I've been finding myself in a very forgiving mood since the change in CEO/President, and the gradual shifts towards a more modern and communicative company...especially now that they've finally discovered social media...took'em what, 8 years in the dark ages under Wada?).

In anycase, it's nice to see some recognition.  I guess we better start pushing DQ11 soon, but I'm all out, and my energy is going to my FAQs for now.  So if anyone else wants to take up the torch in starting letter bomb campaigns, that would be awesome!

Also, darn it all, but my up vote quota has long since been reached for the day.

Edited by ignasia7
  • Upvote 1

So, where do I find the addresses of the people I need to send letters to for Dragon Quest XI?

So, where do I find the addresses of the people I need to send letters to for Dragon Quest XI?

http://www.woodus.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=30404

I likely need to update it.

• Upvote 1

I hope not. They couldn't do it justice. The Bible Series really needs to be portrayed 100% accurately and with no deviations for it to be a good adaptation. A lot of people are putting they're on spins and interpretations on it lately and I'm just over it.

It's probably so they can fit their world views into a book which states the world was created in seven days, they completely messed up the main characters origin story too.

*Back on topic*

That is pretty cool of them acknowledging Nintendo and their role for them getting this game out.

So I notice in that interview he says 

Kiefer will actually have a new story that will be made available for download!

Wouldn't that be great if the new story was just Caravan Hearts?

Edited by Bururian

That would make no sense. Caravan Hearts takes place before DQVII, and I can't see it adding too much to Kiefer's story.

That would make no sense. Caravan Hearts takes place before DQVII, and I can't see it adding too much to Kiefer's story.

Oh I'm just joking. 

It always irritates me when everyone and their brother seem to bash Nintendo online. Stories like this only reinforce how much Nintendo cares about video games. 

When DQVII was first announced for the 3DS, I saw so many people (not here, mind you) replying with: "They need to port it to PS4 or XBOX. I'm not giving Nintendo a dime of my money."

I'll never understand why Nintendo is demonized by so many gamers nowadays. Seems like PS4 and XBOX's libraries are mostly FMV movies with menu options and 500 generic first person shooters. Nintendo still makes classic-type games and people bash them, for some reason.

Thank you for sharing this story--it's great to see things like this. I've been a lifelong Nintendo fan and they've never let me down. This story just reinforces that more.

I was quite irritated when I saw all those complaints about DQVII only be for the 3DS and scores of gamers saying: "I'm not giving Nintendo any money."

If this crap keeps up, Nintendo will go the way of Sega (or worse) and the market will become even MORE oversaturated with generic zombie shooters and Call of Duty garbage.

Nintendo pulls through again! :)

Edited by ErdrickRotoLotoOrtega