3DS game buy list help!

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I meant in terms of both enemy and player units.  Typically there's always several units that represent purely physical, to slight degrees.  Several that represent purely defensive, to slight degrees.  Then units that were purely magical, again to slight degrees.  Physical trumps magic, defense trumps physical, magic trumps defense.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Put my first glowing recommendation for Shin Megami Tensei IV.  It IS an awesome game, with a similar air of mystery as to the nature of the world it takes place in to DQ7, actually.   they tell you v

Tales of Berseria is a really interesting entry in the series. I'm about 40 hours in; just picked it up yesterday after putting it down at the end of summer.   It's a very different kind of

Good, you started wisely with the only game you have so far.     For a new one, I'd recommend Bravely Default. But rather than explain it here, allow me to point you to my Thoughts on the game whi

I meant in terms of both enemy and player units.  Typically there's always several units that represent purely physical, to slight degrees.  Several that represent purely defensive, to slight degrees.  Then units that were purely magical, again to slight degrees.  Physical trumps magic, defense trumps physical, magic trumps defense.

Oh, both the Jugdral games (Genealogy of the Holy War and Thracia 776) and the 3DS games include hybrid classes. For example, Awakening's Dark Flyers use Tomes/Lances, while War Monks/Clerics use Axes/Staves, etc.

These classes are pretty much all promoted ones, though.

There are many different unit types in Fates, though I don't think it's ever been that simple.

Let's take a General. They are tough tanks with high HP and Defense, and are hard to break through. Magic would always be a good option, but if you took a sword user and gave them an Armorslayer, which is super effective against armored units, even they could dent them. Same applies to axe users and the Hammer. The Weapon Triangle adds even more to the mix.

And Awakening added numerous skills that shake things up, and Fates has even more. It is not as simple as you seem to think it is.

Fates does have an issue with giving you too many OP units though. With Conquest, my units were pretty much exclusively the siblings, Gunter, and Effie. If the challenge gets to be too much, you'll end up leaning on your best units, whether that's good or bad for you in the long run.

Edited by eal

Fates does have an issue with giving you too many OP units though. With Conquest, my units were pretty much exclusively the siblings, Gunter, and Effie. If the challenge gets to be too much, you'll end up leaning on your best units, whether that's good or bad for you in the long run.

You actively gimped yourself by using Gunter. His growth rates are so, so poor. His personal skill is useful for boosting Corrin, but there are better options for deployment.

As for OP units, only the royals are truly OP. Everyone else needs to get to that point, though some can reach that point faster than others. The point of Conquest was to be like older games and give you limited experience earnings, forcing you to pick a team you want to use and focus on them. Eventually, you want to have about 10 to 12 units you field regularly.

Edited by Sword_of_Dusk

Fates does have an issue with giving you too many OP units though. With Conquest, my units were pretty much exclusively the siblings, Gunter, and Effie. If the challenge gets to be too much, you'll end up leaning on your best units, whether that's good or bad for you in the long run.

You actively gimped yourself by using Gunter. His growth rates are so, so poor. His personal skill is useful for boosting Corrin, but there are better options for deployment.

As for OP units, only the royals are truly OP. Everyone else needs to get to that point, though some can reach that point faster than others. The point of Conquest was to be like older games and give you limited experience earnings, forcing you to pick a team you want to use and focus on them. Eventually, you want to have about 10 to 12 units you field regularly.

I know all that. The point I'm trying to make is that they give you too many OP units, which becomes a problem when the game gets tougher. Suddenly, you find yourself relying to heavily and falling back on strong units when the challenge starts to feel insurmountable. I eventually let Gunter go down, as I also ended up doing with Keaton and a couple other good units, yet I could still charge through the game with nobody else but Corrin, Leo, Xander, and Effie. Final two chapters was just them, minus Leo after he ended up getting overwhelmed and killed. So just Corrin, Xander, and Efiie alongside some support healers.

Fates does have an issue with giving you too many OP units though. With Conquest, my units were pretty much exclusively the siblings, Gunter, and Effie. If the challenge gets to be too much, you'll end up leaning on your best units, whether that's good or bad for you in the long run.

Don't all Fire Emblem games have a problem like this? Like, in Binding Blade, there's a massive difference in usefulness between Rutger and Perceval vs Dorothy and Treck.

Balancing issues are hardly exclusive to Fates as far as FE is concerned.

I'm talking solely about Fates in this particular instance. I'm well aware of all of the issues Fire Emblem games have with useful and useless units. I'd make the argument that Fates and Awakening are the most blatant apparent about it though.

I guess it boils down to play style. I always use a full squad, never just using four or five people. Much more fun that way.

I'm talking solely about Fates in this particular instance. I'm well aware of all of the issues Fire Emblem games have with useful and useless units. I'd make the argument that Fates and Awakening are the most blatant apparent about it though.

Oh, I see, yeah.

FE13 in particular had the sheer power of the Galeforce skill pretty much defining optimization.

Oh, I see, yeah.

FE13 in particular had the sheer power of the Galeforce skill pretty much defining optimization.

A lot of units in particular also had an issue where they displayed either a limited or an exponentially cartoonishly high level of growth. Morgan and Donnel being the most obvious examples of that. Morgan starts of pretty strong to begin, but depending on the second parent, they can cull an entire battlefield by themselves if you wanted them to.

Oh, I see, yeah.

A lot of units in particular also had an issue where they displayed either a limited or an exponentially cartoonishly high level of growth. Morgan and Donnel being the most obvious examples of that. Morgan starts of pretty strong to begin, but depending on the second parent, they can cull an entire battlefield by themselves if you wanted them to.

I let Donnel slide because he was really only usable in Normal. Maybe Hard if you felt like going the extra mile. In Lunatic? Hell no! He would only be a detriment on a mode where you couldn't afford it.

His awesome growth is due to Aptitude, anyway. Take it off and he isn't as good. Fates did a good thing by nerfing Aptitude, as it only increases each growth rate by 10% instead of 20%.

I didn't even bother with Donnel. I only ever used him for his support conversations, which were always really fun to me for some reason. I sometimes go back and play on lower difficulty settings to unlock the supports I missed from not utilizing weak units like him or Sully or whoever else.

I didn't even bother with Donnel. I only ever used him for his support conversations, which were always really fun to me for some reason. I sometimes go back and play on lower difficulty settings to unlock the supports I missed from not utilizing weak units like him or Sully or whoever else.

On Normal, he's totally worth your time. You get the kind if killing power Morgan has, but much earlier and easier. Get him to level 10, promote him to Mercenary, and you will have the beginnings of a one man army on your hands. Even better is that his absurd luck means that Armsthrift activates a lot with him, thus equipping him with rare and powerful weapons is a really good option.

And Sully isn't weak. She's just the representative for the other cavalier type that has always been in FE. She's the speedy and skillful one, though a reclass to Wyvern Rider can help her Strength issues somewhat.

Edited by Sword_of_Dusk

On Normal, he's totally worth your time. You get the kind if killing power Morgan has, but much earlier and easier. Get him to level 10, promote him to Mercenary, and you will have the beginnings of a one man army on your hands. Even better is that his absurd luck means that Armsthrift activates a lot with him, thus equipping him with rare and powerful weapons is a really good option.

And Sully isn't weak. She's just the representative for the other cavalier type that has always been in FE. She's the speedy and skillful one, though a reclass to Wyvern Rider can help her Strength issues somewhat.

Regardless, she's not a useful unit worth carrying through most of the game. I usually drop her from my regular lineup generally around the time I pick up Cordelia. Not that she's her replacement, I just usually don't play around with Sully past that point. I honestly don't utilize any units of her kind. I mostly work with Archers and similar units and anyone that can wield a tome.

Regardless, she's not a useful unit worth carrying through most of the game. I usually drop her from my regular lineup generally around the time I pick up Cordelia. Not that she's her replacement, I just usually don't play around with Sully past that point. I honestly don't utilize any units of her kind. I mostly work with Archers and similar units and anyone that can wield a tome.

She was useful to me. For one, she's a mounted unit, and they are always useful in some capacity, especially in the games with the Rescue command. For another, I know how to work around her stat deficiencies and have her contribute. There's also the fact that Kjelle is stronger if Sully's been trained.

Moving on, I'm glad you use Archers. Most of the fanbase seems to dislike them, primarily due to lack of enemy phase combat. However, Awakening has no really good Archers. There's Noire if she has a good dad, otherwise your best bet is to use Robin as one, or even Chrom. The better bet is to use a Bow Knight, and Stahl does a damn good job as one.

She was useful to me. For one, she's a mounted unit, and they are always useful in some capacity, especially in the games with the Rescue command. For another, I know how to work around her stat deficiencies and have her contribute. There's also the fact that Kjelle is stronger if Sully's been trained.

Moving on, I'm glad you use Archers. Most of the fanbase seems to dislike them, primarily due to lack of enemy phase combat. However, Awakening has no really good Archers. There's Noire if she has a good dad, otherwise your best bet is to use Robin as one, or even Chrom. The better bet is to use a Bow Knight, and Stahl does a damn good job as one.

I've actually gotten a lot out of Virion for some reason. I never expected him to be very good, and going by stats, he really isn't, but he comes in handy more than I expected. I think Fates has some really useful Archers in particular. I just like being able to hit from a distance. There's a lot of uses you can get from it. I even used Felicia in Fates because of her slight range.

You say it like Felicia isn't good. She struggles early due to low Strength, but once you acquire the Flame Shuriken, she wrecks stuff. I've had her slay Generals!

I used Virion once, and I regretted it. He could do stuff, yeah, but I had better units I could field in his place. You wanna know the best Sniper I had? Freaking Kjelle, man. She was this ridiculous high Defense Sniper that took hits like a champ, then dished out the pain on player phase.

Fates has one really good Archer, and that's Mozu. Setsuna is fast, but lacks power. Aside from Mozu, you've just got Outlaw Niles, and strong units with bows as secondaries. There's also Midori, if she's got a good mother.

...Well, since we're on Fire Emblem, here's a song I'm glad they added to Smash 4 Wii U. It's become my only song for the Coliseum stage.

I love that song. I have it on my Soundcloud, and I learned all the words. However, Smash should've used this version. More fitting for battle:

Love both versions of that song. I actually manages to find the Japanese version off iTunes, even though I like Rena Strober's version more. Wish Nintendo would consider producing more OSTs other than just Zelda. But in terms of non-vocal songs, this one is the stand-out to me:

https://youtu.be/OQ8AHS5bRBY

I find it relaxing to hear while fighting. But then again, Calling to the Night was one of my top songs for the Metal Gear stage back in Brawl.

(Has sudden remembrance that Snake isn't in Smash 4)

God I wish Snake was back for Smash 4...

I actually prefer if~hitori omou to Lost in Thoughts All Alone. Both are really pretty though, Rena Strober did a really good job singing the English version.

I do wish Smash Bros included more arranges/remixes of Binding Blade tracks, Shaman in the Dark (Idoun's battle theme) would be epic

Possibly with transitions to and from The Last Dragon (Jahn's Battle theme)