3DS game buy list help!

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ok, this is a list of any and all 3DS games I need to get, but first I wanted your opinions about the first game that isn't DQ7, DQ8, or the only game I currently have, Etrian Odyssey: Untold.  DQ7 is hopefully on the way soon, and DQ8 should be pre-ordered as well and ready whenever it comes out.

I should have enough money left over to snag an additional game, and I'm not sure of the list of 12, which I should get first.  I'm leaning towards Fantasy Life or Xenoblade, just because I have trouble running it in my Wii, and I don't want to eat the motor just yet, because it's running smooth with everything else.  Maybe it's just my paranoid fear about a potential motor shutdown because it's done so three times already, and I've had to go inside and clean, which I don't want to do, and frankly, I could play XBC all day long.  However I have a feeling XBC will be easy to get in a year's time, while Fantasy Life will be harder to obtain.  Same goes for the EO games, especially Untold 2.

Zelda I put up...because frankly it's Zelda.  I love Zelda, and this one reminds me of my second favourite in the series, A Link to the Past.

Any other games I should get, please feel free to list below.  I'm not as privy to the Mario RPG series, though I do enjoy them.

1) Apparently DQ8 is NOT yet pre-ordered, so this comes first.

2) XBC

3) Fantasy Life or BD (whichever is more expensive comes first)

4) BD or Fantasy Life (whichever is less expensive comes next)

5) LoZ: ALBW

6) EO:U2
7) EO4

8) SMT4

9) Rune Factory 4

10) Tales of the Abyss
11) 7th Dragon

12) SMT4: Apocalypse

13) Bravely Second (assuming I really like BD)

14) Persona Q

15) Other recommendations...not sure yet...I'll leave this as is, put this list in the first post

Edited by ignasia7
  • Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Put my first glowing recommendation for Shin Megami Tensei IV.  It IS an awesome game, with a similar air of mystery as to the nature of the world it takes place in to DQ7, actually.   they tell you v

Tales of Berseria is a really interesting entry in the series. I'm about 40 hours in; just picked it up yesterday after putting it down at the end of summer.   It's a very different kind of

Good, you started wisely with the only game you have so far.     For a new one, I'd recommend Bravely Default. But rather than explain it here, allow me to point you to my Thoughts on the game whi

Good, you started wisely with the only game you have so far.

For a new one, I'd recommend Bravely Default. But rather than explain it here, allow me to point you to my Thoughts on the game which I'll a link to in a second.

http://www.woodus.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=34249

And of course I'd recommend the other Etrian games because...well, it would be out of character for me not to. I'd recommend starting with 4 and then Untold 2. 4 has a really good story going for it, and thanks to the balance of classes you can play through the game with just about any party you want to. Untold 2 is my favorite of the 3DS bunch so far thanks to the story mode and the great improvements to the Untold take on Classic mode. I mean, how can you beat 15 class options to build a party out of? Just don't worry about the DLC other than the Highlander and Bonus Portrait DLC. Those ones are worth it, especially since the latter is free.

Just don't get a digital copy of EO4. I've had odd luck with my digital copy randomly crashing even after repairing it via the eshop. So go physical for sure.

After that, probably SMT4 and then 7th Dragon III. SMT4 is my favorite 3DS RPG, and one I've sunken well over 200 hours into across my playthroughs. The beginning parts of the game can be hell to get through, but once you're past Medusa (the second major boss) the game begins to even things out difficulty wise. As for 7th Dragon, definitely check it out. I was surprised how much I enjoyed the game, and the further I went the more I enjoyed it. Random battles are pretty easy, but dragon and boss encounters make up for it. Plus it's fun to swap out teams and try new combos for optimal results.

But overall, I say start with Bravely Default.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Upvote 1

Put my first glowing recommendation for Shin Megami Tensei IV.  It IS an awesome game, with a similar air of mystery as to the nature of the world it takes place in to DQ7, actually.   they tell you very little about why things are the way they are, and gradually pull back the curtain on more.  You'll need to be patient, as the game does not reveal it's secrets easily, but it's truly worthwhile for after EOU or DQ7.

• Upvote 2

Bravely Default if only because it is getting progressively harder and harder to get, as Yangus mentioned in his link. In fact, in terms of the games on your poll, Yangus is probably your best friend right now since he's played the majority of those games and has good opinions to listen to on them.

Recommendations not on your poll, the only special edition I'd throw in is Fire Emblem Awakening. Even if you're not good at SRPGs or something, there are a number of ways to tailor the game to suit your skill level and still make it a pleasant experience. You can make it as simple or as difficult as you want it to be. At Normal you can roll out with OP units like Fredrick, Robin, and Morgan alone and plow through enemies, or you can set the difficulty higher and instead put more emphasis on team composition and their positioning and equipment. It's a good localization, there's a lot of freedom in how you want to plan out your strategy, the music is a treat to listen to, supports are up and down in quality but none of them are bad, waifus and husbandos, etc.

• Upvote 1

I'm not as privy to the Mario RPG series, though I do enjoy them.

I'm surprised I missed this.

You're not missing much, really. I've heard Paper Jam is pretty stale (haven't played that one for myself but I'd like to at some point) and Sticker Star...just no.

I would recommend Dream Team though, but after you've played the others on your list above. While I didn't enjoy the over use of tutorials and the game length feeling like it dragged on (these are common complaints across the board) I still really enjoyed it. Bowser's Inside Story didn't do much for me after playing Superstar Saga and Partners in Time (I swear I must be the only guy who actually liked PiT), so Dream Team was a nice surprise. The writing for some characters can be real forced for the sake of making you laugh, but the gameplay was solid, the areas were fun to explore, and it gives my man Luigi his due credit when exploring the Dream World. A solid and fun RPG all around, just check it out after playing some of the others on your list.

• Upvote 1

Damn, depends on how much I have left over...I'm going to wait a bit until the NX release.  I shouldn't be surprised to see Bravely Default is still 49.99.  That's the only way to guarantee I can afford a game to go along with it, since the N3DS should see a price cut due to the NX.

Based on price changes, and that Amazon is no longer selling directly, XBC 3DS is becoming scarce as well.  Damn me that I'm coming into this system so late in the game.  First time since my college years.

I have not played Partners in Time, but I did enjoy Dream Team.  Sticker Star Saga is...amazing.  However, everything I've seen and read of the Paper Mario line since...it's just depressing the direction the games have gone in, especially after that high note.

Edited by ignasia7

Persona Q was my personal game of the year for 2015, so I'll let that speak for itself. Although, if you already have Etrian Untold, you may find PQ a little samey (Maybe.) Of course, the final decision relies on what you want. Shin Megami 4 is an awesome game that you can replay a bunch of times for different results. Bravely Default (start with Default) has an great Job system and Fantasy Life is a fun little game, but I'll admit it's better with friends. I'd have to recommend you stay away from Tales of The Abyss. I dunno why, I loved the other Tales games because they combat reminded me of Star Ocean, but for some reason, Abyss just didn't deliver.

• Upvote 1

I'm really biased for ALBW, sooo...

I'd also recommend Majora's Mask 3D, especially if you never played the original. And even if you have, some bosses have been changed (All of them now have a "Majora Eye" as a weak spot, though in terms of difficulty, Oldolwa is easier, Goht is pretty much the same, Gyorg's N64 phase is eased but there's a new second phase that's harder than the original, Twinmold is now very hard in comparison to how it used to be). Some masks are moved (Shiro is now in the Pirate Fortress, Giant Mask is now obtained after beating the Blue Twinmold), the Owl Statue save system has been revamped, Song of Double Time is made more convenient while Inverted Time got nerfed, Anju now remembers the Link with the reservation was a Goron, some stray fairies got moved, etc.

/reasons why MM3D is the best 3DS game.

• Upvote 1

Damn, depends on how much I have left over...I'm going to wait a bit until the NX release. I shouldn't be surprised to see Bravely Default is still 49.99. That's the only way to guarantee I can afford a game to go along with it, since the N3DS should see a price cut due to the NX.

Based on price changes, and that Amazon is no longer selling directly, XBC 3DS is becoming scarce as well. Damn me that I'm coming into this system so late in the game. First time since my college years.

I have not played Partners in Time, but I did enjoy Dream Team. Sticker Star Saga is...amazing. However, everything I've seen and read of the Paper Mario line since...it's just depressing the direction the games have gone in, especially after that high note.

Did you just combine Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga and Paper Mario: Sticker Star into one game?

And you've already played Mario and Luigi: Dream Team? Well now I'm curious as to what other 3DS games you've already played. Tha would make a difference in what to recommend right away.

All of the above, of course.

I say go with Shin Megami Tensei IV. Bravely Default is hard to find, but SMTIV is the better game.

• Upvote 1

Also if you like SaGa styled games and random skill sparks or stat gains, check out The Legend of Legacy.

Go for Stella Glow too.

Also Devil Survivor Soul Hackers, DS Overclocked and DS2 Record Breaker.

• Upvote 1

Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers is another good one, but it's pretty cheap at this point and is easy to find via Amazon. Same applies to SMT4 and Etrian 4. Those three are around $20-25, so that's not too bad.

Also if you like SaGa styled games and random skill sparks or stat gains, check out The Legend of Legacy.

Go for Stella Glow too.

Also Devil Survivor Soul Hackers, DS Overclocked and DS2 Record Breaker.

I do, but I'll wait on that one.

It's not my favourite style of game, so I usually snag it for collections and eventual play when I get around to it.

DS:SH is a must at some point, but less pertinent than SMT4 or even P:Q...certainly far less than EO4 and EO:U2

Hopefully I'll have enough in the bank by the NX to just buy up all of these great games.

Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers is another good one, but it's pretty cheap at this point and is easy to find via Amazon. Same applies to SMT4 and Etrian 4. Those three are around $20-25, so that's not too bad.

Yeah, that's one reason I'm not too worried about it right now.  I am wondering why no one recommends Fantasy Life.  I'm guessing it's a bit of a miss?  I know it has a number of Dark Cloud elements thrown into the game.

All of the above, of course.

At some point for sure

Damn, depends on how much I have left over...I'm going to wait a bit until the NX release. I shouldn't be surprised to see Bravely Default is still 49.99. That's the only way to guarantee I can afford a game to go along with it, since the N3DS should see a price cut due to the NX.

Based on price changes, and that Amazon is no longer selling directly, XBC 3DS is becoming scarce as well. Damn me that I'm coming into this system so late in the game. First time since my college years.

I have not played Partners in Time, but I did enjoy Dream Team. Sticker Star Saga is...amazing. However, everything I've seen and read of the Paper Mario line since...it's just depressing the direction the games have gone in, especially after that high note.

Did you just combine Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga and Paper Mario: Sticker Star into one game?

And you've already played Mario and Luigi: Dream Team? Well now I'm curious as to what other 3DS games you've already played. Tha would make a difference in what to recommend right away.

Yes I did.

I'm really biased for ALBW, sooo...

I'd also recommend Majora's Mask 3D, especially if you never played the original. And even if you have, some bosses have been changed (All of them now have a "Majora Eye" as a weak spot, though in terms of difficulty, Oldolwa is easier, Goht is pretty much the same, Gyorg's N64 phase is eased but there's a new second phase that's harder than the original, Twinmold is now very hard in comparison to how it used to be). Some masks are moved (Shiro is now in the Pirate Fortress, Giant Mask is now obtained after beating the Blue Twinmold), the Owl Statue save system has been revamped, Song of Double Time is made more convenient while Inverted Time got nerfed, Anju now remembers the Link with the reservation was a Goron, some stray fairies got moved, etc.

/reasons why MM3D is the best 3DS game.

I forgot about MM 3D.  That and Ocarina.  I can always play that again.  Would be nice to see a rerelease of LttP on the system, but I digress.  Glad they took the same approach as OoTMQ version.  That was a blast to play, though I haven't beaten it yet, but seeing the changes to some boss fights and changes for some bits like the Skullchula positions, was kind of fun, despite not being a proper remake.

I'm guessing both you and Tiael picked ALBW. 

Just wait for Platty to find this topic. He's your man for Rune Factory 4 and Fantasy Life. I have both, but I only have about 20 hours into Fantasy Life (but would like to play more soon enough) and I haven't started Rune 4 yet. I only feel I can officially recommend a game once I've beaten it so I can give a full opinion if necessary. Only 4 of those games on your list (the two I mentioned in this post, Tales of the Abyss, and Xenoblade) are the only ones I haven't finished.

I say go with Shin Megami Tensei IV. Bravely Default is hard to find, but SMTIV is the better game.

I'm guessing I'll feel the same, give I'm not as privy to auto-battle systems without anyway of shutting it off, but if the story is good, and if it feels like I have enough control, I'll probably like BD enough to overlook that aspect.  The main thing is time and money...SMT at least is likely to stay new and in normal to cheaper price range for awhile.  Though given the reviews, I may just reconsider.  SMT3 was a great game, though I haven't beaten it yet...I don't recall what I got stuck on, I'd have to restart.

You can turn the auto-battle feature on and off at will in Bravely Default.

I'd also be remiss if I didn't mention the Ace Attorney Trilogy. Not only are you getting three games for the price of one, but they're excellent games to boot. If you care about story and good characters in any strong capacity, get the trilogy.

No, I didn't vote yet, ALBW is a good choice.

Also if you get a New 3DS (XL), you can get A Link to the Past for it via the eShop.

I'd also be remiss if I didn't mention the Ace Attorney Trilogy. Not only are you getting three games for the price of one, but they're excellent games to boot. If you care about story and good characters in any strong capacity, get the trilogy.

I appreciate it, but Ace Attorney has never interested me.

Like, cop drama's I can't get into the court-room focused shows, but the forensics and detective work, especially CSI: NY and original CSI, is my cup of tea.

You can turn the auto-battle feature on and off at will in Bravely Default.

Excellent :)

Edited by ignasia7

I forgot about MM 3D.  That and Ocarina.  I can always play that again.  Would be nice to see a rerelease of LttP on the system, but I digress.  Glad they took the same approach as OoTMQ version.  That was a blast to play, though I haven't beaten it yet, but seeing the changes to some boss fights and changes for some bits like the Skullchula positions, was kind of fun, despite not being a proper remake.

Yeah, I picked ALBW as far as the poll choices go, though my overall vote would be either it or Majora's Mask. Both have their perks. ALBW actually manages to bring up a surprisingly deep question... in the last 20 minutes of the game, but still.

There's also Mario and Luigi: Dream Team, which is normally considered better than Paper Jam (from my observation), though it's debatable. Sticker Star is outright bad though... at least, compared to fans were expecting. Sticker Star was initially announced alongside the 3DS as a back-to-TTYD game after the radically different Super Paper Mario, and the final product completely betrayed those expectations, while simultaneously vindicating Super since at the very least, Super had plot and NPCs besides generic Toads.

Whether Sticker Star would receive the backlash it did if it wasn't saddled with the Paper Mario name is unknown.

Then there's the problem that IS wants to make Sticker Star the new Paper Mario formula and hand "RPG" totally over to Mario and Luigi.

...I'm just ranting now, ignore me.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I picked ALBW as far as the poll choices go, though my overall vote would be either it or Majora's Mask. Both have their perks. ALBW actually manages to bring up a surprisingly deep question... in the last 20 minutes of the game, but still.

There's also Mario and Luigi: Dream Team, which is normally considered better than Paper Jam (from my observation), though it's debatable. Sticker Star is outright bad though... at least, compared to fans were expecting. Sticker Star was initially announced alongside the 3DS as a back-to-TTYD game after the radically different Super Paper Mario, and the final product completely betrayed those expectations, while simultaneously vindicating Super since at the very least, Super had plot and NPCs besides generic Toads.

Whether Sticker Star would receive the backlash it did if it wasn't saddled with the Paper Mario name is unknown.

Then there's the problem that IS wants to make Sticker Star the new Paper Mario formula and hand "RPG" totally over to Mario and Luigi.

I really should get more sleep...

Ok, so I apparently suck with names on the SMRPG series.

SMRPG games I've played:

Super Mario RPG

Paper Mario

Paper Mario:The Thousand Year Door

Super Paper Mario (the Wii game, which somehow I thought had a subtitle and confused it with superstar and sticker star)

Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga

Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time (never finished it...or even came close, though you're not the only one who likes it Yangus, life and other games with greater priority came into my life).

...so no worries on the rant.  I tend to find myself often in agreement, or at least appreciating your input Glaceon, so I do rather enjoy reading your posts and rants.  It's not like you ramble on about nothing.  You always have good points.

I'm not as privy to replaying MM again, as I am other Zeldas.  I'm one of the few who didn't enjoy it as much.  I really can't handle time limits on games very well.  So it's definitely something I plan to play again, but I rather enjoy the puzzles and more traditional approach to Zelda that ALBW seems to capture.  Especially art styles more similar to ALttP or the Celda approach.  I really really love Celda's stylistic design aesthetics.  It's the only thing I find tolerable about the DS Zelda releases, as I don't enjoy the touch screen controls.

I really should get more sleep...

Ok, so I apparently suck with names on the SMRPG series.

SMRPG games I've played:

Super Mario RPG

Paper Mario

Paper Mario:The Thousand Year Door

Super Paper Mario (the Wii game, which somehow I thought had a subtitle and confused it with superstar and sticker star)

Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga

Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time (never finished it...or even came close, though you're not the only one who likes it Yangus, life and other games with greater priority came into my life).

...so no worries on the rant.  I tend to find myself often in agreement, or at least appreciating your input Glaceon, so I do rather enjoy reading your posts and rants.  It's not like you ramble on about nothing.  You always have good points.

I'm not as privy to replaying MM again, as I am other Zeldas.  I'm one of the few who didn't enjoy it as much.  I really can't handle time limits on games very well.  So it's definitely something I plan to play again, but I rather enjoy the puzzles and more traditional approach to Zelda that ALBW seems to capture.  Especially art styles more similar to ALttP or the Celda approach.  I really really love Celda's stylistic design aesthetics.  It's the only thing I find tolerable about the DS Zelda releases, as I don't enjoy the touch screen controls.

Partners in Time is actually my favorite Mario RPG, despite the linearity. I had a lot of fun with the piggyback mechanics.

If those are the ones you've played, I would recommend both Bowser's Inside Story and Dream Team, particularly Dream Team.

The thing about Sticker Star is it got rid of a lot of things that made people love the first two Paper Mario games (TTYD in particular), leaving it very watered down overall. The plot is a basic "Bowser kidnaps Peach, Mario goes to save her, the end" sort of thing, there is absolutely no level system whatsoever, no NPC variety (practically everyone is a generic male Toad), and the battle mechanics make everything into inventory management (Mario needs an item to jump).

As for MM, yeah I understand, particularly since the Inverted Time nerf makes the 3DS time limit more pressing than the N64 one. MM is definitely in my top three Zeldas with The Wind Waker and ALBW, personally.

ALBW is something that does a really good job of breathing new life into an old world. The Wall merge mechanic is really easy to get in your brain, and offers a lot of exploration ALttP could not. The dungeons are top notch as usual, and Ravio's item-rental system is actually really good at making you want to avoid dying and opening the world quickly. Also, Ravio himself is awesome.

• Upvote 1

I appreciate it, but Ace Attorney has never interested me.

Like, cop drama's I can't get into the court-room focused shows, but the forensics and detective work, especially CSI: NY and original CSI, is my cup of tea.

Your loss. The game is half investigation segments too, since the prosecutors are the only ones who ever have police help. If you change your mind, there are demos on eShop for both Dual Destinies and Spirit of Justice. I'd be curious if you find your tune changing.

To be fair, that PiT comment was more of an exaggeration than anything. The only other place I've looked for opinions on that game was on GameFAQs, and we all know what that place can be like...

Hell, the Final Fantasy XV board just loves bashing on FFVI in certain topics but without giving real reasons to back up their claims.

• Upvote 1