Sign in to follow this  
MacLarensPub

Based upon the success of VII, VIII and XI...

I very much wonder if Square-Enix will consider remastering IX for 3DS. Something similar happened for Inazuma Eleven, and the screen ratio and such was optimized for 3DS. I figure, if they could adjust the screen ratio, perhaps upscale their textures a bit, the game would actually perform quite well. IX was made with the StreetPass in mind, and while it was brilliantly conceived, it was poorly executed (at least in the West) due to having to keep the DS in "search mode". 

But I would purchase the game again in a heartbeat if they remastered it for 3DS and utilized it's wireless capabilities. I know some of you don't hold much love for that entry, but I easily put over a hundred hours into it. Gah.. it just kills me that the overall American/English fanbase for DQ isn't as strong as Japan's. 

What do you think the odds are that if VII & VIII sells either meeting or surpassing their expectations... that we'll see a localized XI? And, better yet, within a reasonable time frame? We're on the verge of the Nintendo NX, and despite not knowing much about it now, I do know they have a portable counterpart. That has the potential of affecting 3DS sales. Still early to say, obviously, but let the fanboy dream.

IX & XI. We never thought we'd see VII & VIII, so I'm keeping the hope alive.

• Upvote 1

I don't see it necessary. I can't think of enough to add to IX that makes a remaster worth it, especially when it would just be going to another handheld system.

Aside from that, we need to see how well VII and VIII sell before considering anything of the sort, and I would rather the effort go into getting DQXI here anyway.

If anything, DQ9 will see a remaster, not due to success, just due to practice and that it's unlikely DQ8 will see another release prior to DQ9 getting some sort of reboot or enhanced port.

If I had to guess, the NX or PS4 would be the most likely systems.  NX, if it does well, as I believe it will, is more likely due to being portable, and Horii's penchant for remakes on portable systems.

• Upvote 1

Oh yes, trust me, I'm all on board with XI before getting any sort of remaster. No question about that. I don't know the process of remastering any DS game for 3DS, and I don't know if it was much work for that Inazuma Eleven re-release or not. But seeing how Square-Enix has been handling re-makes/reissues/remasters in the past 10 years, I wouldn't completely rule it outside the realm of possibility. Now on the realm of probability... that's another story. But I'm the kind of person who really enjoys the pick up/put down aspect of IX. How it's just something I can hack at for a while, but still work towards a larger goal. It may be the one DS title I keep going back to over and over. Like that favorite movie or book.

I would keep it low on the priority list, but it's still on the list.

If they do get around to it, I don't foresee it being anywhere close to soon. However, there would need to be a good reason to actually remaster it. As of right now, it still looks quite good, and if there are no gameplay elements to add, what's the point?

If they do get around to it, I don't foresee it being anywhere close to soon. However, there would need to be a good reason to actually remaster it. As of right now, it still looks quite good, and if there are no gameplay elements to add, what's the point?

Well, DQ's 1~3 were remastered with the SNES and GBC.  The first being one system after the NES, which they were initially released on ;).

DQ4 was remade on the PSX, DQ5 on the PS2.  Then both remade again on the DS along with DQ6.  Then immediately after 9, 7 is remade on the 3DS, the next console, and soon after, we get what is essentially 8's "remake."  9 is now 7 years old, around the same distance in time for most of the remakes.  We also have a precedent for "next system" and the NX is two systems later, like with all the rest of the remakes (essentially in terms of generational relationships, not direct system relationships).

So based on the history of DQ remakes 9 is primed and ready.  Plus with DQVC offline, and only cheating/save state hacking/access to people with the online quests to tag with, it's kind of limited.  Sure it holds up well, and the 3DS lets you play it, but it's well within time and practical approaches to remakes for DQ9.  Plus the NX would provide a huge jump in power, or the ps4 pro.  Either way DQ9 would see DQ11 quality PS4 graphics, or potentially better.  I just see it happening because it fits in with Horii's pattern.

Edited by ignasia7

The issue with your case is that each remake either came about because of a desire for a graphical upgrade, or to make the game more accessible. DQIX is still recent enough to look great, and is on a system a veritable crapton of people had.

Even so, I see your point, and acknowledge that Horii may indeed want to do so. However, I'm just pointing out that this is the one time it may not happen.

Honestly though, if I had the chance to request a remake, I'd just ask for the remakes of DQM and DQM2 to be brought over.

Who didn't see this coming? DQIX 3DS?

4a1b7fcb34a1bcfcf8151a5936e8534f.jpg

DQIX Nintendo NX though? Only in Japan.

Who didn't see this coming? DQIX 3DS?

4a1b7fcb34a1bcfcf8151a5936e8534f.jpg

DQIX Nintendo NX though? Only in Japan.

...and with that, guaranteed to cross overseas.

Guaranteed? Then where the flying fudge is the rest of the stuff I want?

Guaranteed? Then where the flying fudge is the rest of the stuff I want?

He never stamped for those...so they're definitely not coming.  Sorry buddy.  *pats back*

I would love to see a remake of DQ9 already, but I think it still might be a few years. In the grand scheme of things, IX is still pretty new. As soon as I got my 3DS, I started thinking how amazing it would be if IX could utilize the StreetPass features from the system.

3ds release for DQ9 would be unlikely since it's already playable on the 3ds. Sony and Microsoft get games like that (PS3 games ported to PS4), but I can't remember too many instances of Nintendo doing that. I think they put the Gamecube version of Mario Tennis on the Wii.

I don't think that DQ11 would interfere since it's probably coming. The fact that it's on 2 consoles with lots of JRPGs to me makes it more likely.

Edited by Destructor526