Sign in to follow this  
ErdrickRotoLotoOrtega

DQV is technically the darkest story but is rather cheery game

Dragon Quest V is, without a doubt, the darkest hero story out of the entire series. I feel that few would argue with that. The hero loses both parents, is put into crippling slavery for ten years, has to watch his best friend, Henry, find his place in the world early on in his journey while he's stuck, roaming the wilds with no one to keep him company but his fellow monsters and loses the first ten years of life he could have been spending with his children.

....Despite all that, does anyone else find this to be a rather cheery game? It's funny to say that but, despite all the darkness in the hero's journey, it's one of those "good mood" Dragon Quests for me. I think it's the charm of the characters, more than anything. The characters are downright loveable in this game: Pankraz, Sancho, Bianca, Mr. Briscolletti, the children, Henry, etc. Recruiting monsters is another rather cheery aspect. Seeing the hero marching along with slimes, Drackies, etc behind him is a somewhat silly sight. It plays into DQIV's ending well where Psaro (in his new ending) concedes that maybe there is some virtue in humans afterall and that maybe there could be a union between humans and monsters one day. DQV plays into that aspect with the monster recruiting.

Getting married, having children and the family reunion are all feel-good moments. Also, despite such a sad journey, the DQV hero has a very happy ending: Parents are reunited in the afterlife, hero and his family live happily ever after in their palace, etc. The game's overall tone doesn't feel dark despite the rather dark story material. I really enjoy that aspect of the game.

Compare that to DQVII. DQVII feels much darker and more dreary, in my opinion, despite the hero having a far less tragic story than DQV's hero. The tone dictates everything in a story and DQVII has a much darker tone than V, in my opinion. I believe the tone of V is what saves it from being a dark and dreary story. It's very dark but the game doesn't play it up that way. That is one of the aspects of V that I admire the most.

For my own part, I actually find DQVII to be the darkest entry in the series. The dark tone, shadows, fog and all the sad subplots (Zebbot and Eri, Jann, the couple buried together in the churchyard, the town of stone people, etc).

That's what I love about V--it's the darkest STORY, but the tone and payoff never let you down or make you feel depressed. The hero gets his just rewards in the end, making the horrid journey worth the effort. It's a great story and feeds into the example of: "The night is always darkest before the dawn" and "Sometimes we must crawl through Hell in order to reach Heaven". You play the game, knowing the hero will one day end up happy. Dragon Quest VIII has a similar tone: very dark story material that never feels meandering or depressing because of the cheery/colorful tone of the game.

Does anyone else feel similarly regarding V?

• Upvote 4

Good points, all.  I felt badly for my character at several points, saying to myself, "Oh, no... don't tell me that they're gonna... yeah, they did...." At all the plot points the game throws at him.  Really drives in the point of perseverance.  Those who give up will never see a return on their investments in life, is the takeaway I get from that.  Despair is easy, living is hard.

It's like the Empire Strikes Back:  IS the Dark Side stronger?  No. easier, quicker, more seductive. 

Yes, I see the point, the events are grim and dismal, but the hope the character clings to is inspiring.

I also like how your main character is NOT the prophecy's savior of the world.. his SON is.  It's a neat twist that you are not playing the foretold, predestined hero, but you see them in your lifetime... actually sire them... and aid them.

• Upvote 3

I find DQ5 to be an emotional roller coaster. A lot of really dark, low points, but balanced out by a lot of cheery high points. This game blew my mind, because going into it, I wasn't expecting much in the way of story (having only played 9 and 3 prior).

• Upvote 1

For me, both DQ V and VI might have the darkest stories. But when you say "Hero story" as in referring to the main character, yes, V is the darkest one of all the ones I've played.

This is my order so far:

I, II, III, VIII, IV, V, VI

Playing VIII after having played III, didn't feel like so much story improvement. Sure there was more but I was almost disappointed because I thought that the series would only get better and darker, and more interesting. DQ VIII made me think that there was very little to see in IV, V, VI and VII.
But when I finally played IV, V and VI, I realized I was very wrong. These games are higher points in the series, story-wise, than at least VIII.

I'm still wondering how VII is going to be.

I wish that XI (and possible sequels) did to the series what V and VI did to its previous ones.

I played the game after playing DQ4, and yes. I agree pretty much. It has a darker overtone, but so many good moments in the game as well. It has such a great story that I admired more than the chapters that DQ4 offered, but are each good in their own rights.

I played the game after playing DQ4, and yes. I agree pretty much. It has a darker overtone, but so many good moments in the game as well. It has such a great story that I admired more than the chapters that DQ4 offered, but are each good in their own rights.

Yes, and V feels very rewarding to play. It probably has the most heart out of all the entries in the series. It's about family, friendship and perseverance. If you ask me, this could make for a good children's game in many cases...well...older children.

Can't have shadow without light! The cheery parts of DQV's story help to both contrast the darker parts, and help keep the player hopeful in overcoming all the obstacles thrown the hero's way.

• Upvote 2

You could say it's dark, but I think it's more emotional than dark. It sure is cheerful and full of hope. The ammount of optional dialog everywhere for your party members, the music, and the whole family theme they had going on. It almost has this Disney/Ghibli movie style emanating from it. I bet it's like repellent for the edgemasters who like dark-looking stories. I just love this game.

Edited by wiregu

I can't forget or get over Papas death. He was so cool.

Yes, Papas/Pankraz was awesome. I loved how he healed his son after every battle. Even though it's just a game, you can feel his love for his son.

The saddest part of that game is, in my opinion, the moment he allows the enemies to kill him in order to protect his son. That scene is difficult to watch every time.

Yes, Papas/Pankraz was awesome. I loved how he healed his son after every battle. Even though it's just a game, you can feel his love for his son.

The saddest part of that game is, in my opinion, the moment he allows the enemies to kill him in order to protect his son. That scene is difficult to watch every time.

Oh goodness yes. This tore me up and especially since I didn't see it going down like that. I expected maybe to get separated and save him but nope. My heart aches for the reasons you gave. Everything about that in-game relationship felt real and authentic. Also the part that hit me in the feels was having to choose my spouse. It was hard beccase I felt like my choice was a momentous one that would leave others I loved dejected and alone. I have played the game three times for obvious reasons and still knowing what I would do each time hurt. Finally the whole pregnancy thing was also a moment of pride in the game because I knew what that meant in terms of prophecy and fulfillment of my legacy in the game. It felt so good to share those emotions with my wife when she played the game as well. Though dark in its beginning I feel that V is the epitome the most life-like emotional roller coaster of a game. Heck I almost named my daughter Bianca.

Oh goodness yes. This tore me up and especially since I didn't see it going down like that. I expected maybe to get separated and save him but nope. My heart aches for the reasons you gave. Everything about that in-game relationship felt real and authentic. Also the part that hit me in the feels was having to choose my spouse. It was hard beccase I felt like my choice was a momentous one that would leave others I loved dejected and alone. I have played the game three times for obvious reasons and still knowing what I would do each time hurt. Finally the whole pregnancy thing was also a moment of pride in the game because I knew what that meant in terms of prophecy and fulfillment of my legacy in the game. It felt so good to share those emotions with my wife when she played the game as well. Though dark in its beginning I feel that V is the epitome the most life-like emotional roller coaster of a game. Heck I almost named my daughter Bianca.

Yes, DQV is the most akin to real life. I don't have children but I am married and I empathized with his relationship greatly. I only ever choose Bianca when playing that game as she is the canon wife and the best choice for the hero. Besides, Nera ends up better off because of it as she is able to marry the man she truly wants to marry.

Their honeymoon, the way they enjoy travelling together, worrying for each other--it all rings true and close to me as a married man.

A lot of people have stated that the saddest point in the game for the hero is the middle portion (The part where Henry elects to stay at the castle and the hero is off on his quest alone with only monsters to keep him company). I agree with that. This is the point where the hero is truly lost and having to set out in the large world to find his place, point and purpose. It's the "leaving home for the first time" phase that we all went through at one point. You FEEL just as lost and alone as he does while playing it at that point. It's also sad when he returns to his childhood town to find it mostly destroyed. Things are looking the most bleak for him at that point until the first ray of light hits with the marriage proposition. Then old faces start turning up, one-by-one, and the hero's life begins to approve exponentially.

The game is very warm, emotional and full of heart. It's the most...genuine installment in the series. What I mean by that is that it's the most

"real" and true to life.

I'd make the argument that dark stuff happening doesn't necessarily make something itself dark. For some reason, VI always felt darker to me. But I'd honestly say VIII was the darkest of them all. Trodain Castle felt bleaker than anything else in V. They essentially made it a dungeon that you must clear, when just before that, it was merely a concept with a brief flashback appearance that never fully got you invested in the journey until you came back to see exactly what Dhoulmagus had brought down upon the castle. You're even given a more fleshed out flashback of the event in all its tragedy and you get to listen to miserable music in the background as you make your way through. And if you want to collect all the stuff lying around, you need to make sure to check every nook and cranny. Both V and VIII makes you a witness to a tragic event, but in VIII you're forced to relive it personally by going through the castle.

Years ago, I made a topic where we all discussed the saddest moment in Dragon Quest and I still stand by my choice when I said going to Trodain.

You can chalk it up to the prettier graphics and all the components in the game that allow it to be more expressive than a simple pixelated game can try to convey, I guess.

Agreed.  DQV is a very interesting game when it comes to tones.  It can get dark as hell with enslavement, murder, horror, and then it has lots of typical DQ silliness and fun.  Crazy game bro.

23 minutes ago, Larzonerus said:

Who's still playing DQ in 2019/about to be 2020

You're asking a Dragon Quest fan forum so I'm gonna guess all of us.

39 minutes ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

You're asking a Dragon Quest fan forum so I'm gonna guess all of us.

Some people on here play Dragon Quest exclusively and no other games.

But ignore him because that was one of the most nakedly obvious troll comments I’ve seen, randomly attached to a topic that’s been dead for three years.

Yeah, that comment really comes across as bait. So...

spacer.png

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, eal said:

But ignore him because that was one of the most nakedly obvious troll comments I’ve seen, randomly attached to a topic that’s been dead for three years.

Should I just dump the account, or see what else gets posted?

1 hour ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Yeah, that comment really comes across as bait. So...

spacer.png

That was some g8 tasting b8 m8

37 minutes ago, Woodus said:

They created the account and posted that right away. If it's not clogging up any resources I would keep it but the next post better be a good one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Woodus said:

Honestly might be funny to see what he posts in my opinion.

Must be one of those Russian bots I've been hearing about, trying to sow discourse among communities. Hahaha.

Maybe we can teach it how to love...

Who's still playing DQ in 2019/about to be 2020
Right off YouTube comments!