Sign in to follow this  
TriforceBun

Should we start letting NOA know that we want an orchestrated OST?

I know this is very unlikely, but it would be nice to have an option of choosing between a synthesised MIDI soundtrack and an orchestrated soundtrack.

Edited by Dakhil

I know this is very unlikely, but it would be nice to have an option of choosing between a synthesised MIDI soundtrack and an orchestrated soundtrack.

It probably won't be happening in Dragon Quest anytime soon. Two versions of the same soundtrack have been done in other games on the 3DS (orchestrated and PC-88 styled FM synth to be precise) but we likely won't see that kind of option appear in Dragon Quest.

I know this is very unlikely, but it would be nice to have an option of choosing between a synthesised MIDI soundtrack and an orchestrated soundtrack.

It probably won't be happening in Dragon Quest anytime soon. Two versions of the same soundtrack have been done in other games on the 3DS (orchestrated and PC-88 styled FM synth to be precise) but we likely won't see that kind of option appear in Dragon Quest.

I can still dream, can I? But like I said before, it's very unlikely.

I'd probably have to wait until I can replace the music.

You can (especially since I never said you couldn't) as it would be a nice feature. I just don't see this kind of thing happening until someone else takes over the licensing rights to Dragon Quest music whenever Sugiyama passes on.

Speaking of which, does Sugiyama have a company who would retain the rights should he pass away, or would it be Square Enix who would become the rights holders? Hmm...

Yes, he has SUGI Label. It's on the spine of most Dragon Quest albums. That's where the music rights will go.

They have to sacrifice the soundtrack in order to include voice acting on the 3ds version. That is fine by me cuz I miss the voice acting on the android version.

They have to sacrifice the soundtrack in order to include voice acting on the 3ds version. That is fine by me cuz I miss the voice acting on the android version.

Explain then how the Japanese version can have full voice acting and the orchestral soundtrack then.

I don't agree with the idea that they needed to sacrifice the music for the voice acting, but if I had to take one over the other, I'd take the music any day. The voices are mostly dated but that soundtrack is timeless.

I stand in the same opinion i had on VII's music change: the change is probably due to the limited space due to the western version having 4 more languages and its not really that important. 

It's not a space issue. They're recorded "midi" tracks, not generated by the system, they take up the same amount of space that orchestrated tracks would.

• Upvote 1

they take up the same amount of space that orchestrated tracks would.

I'm not too sure about that. And even if there was enough space, I think licensing issues would be what prevented us from getting an orchestral soundtrack.

Replacing the existing music with midi is more work than necessary. They wouldn't bother doing it unless there were circumstances that forced them to do it. Fans "wanting the orchestral version" isn't going to suddenly change those circumstances.

And considering we know it's not space issues, licensing seems to be the only logical answer.

they take up the same amount of space that orchestrated tracks would.

I'm not too sure about that. And even if there was enough space, I think licensing issues would be what prevented us from getting an orchestral soundtrack.
They are definitely recordings, not actual sequence files.
  • Upvote 1