Sign in to follow this  
TriforceBun

Should we start letting NOA know that we want an orchestrated OST?

Based on some recent impressions by players who attended the PAX DQ panel, it's been all but confirmed that DQVIII will feature a MIDI soundtrack for its US release, not unlike DQVII.

The reasons for this haven't been confirmed, but the common belief is that Sugiyama holds the rights to particular orchestrated versions that make releasing those particular songs tricky and/or more costly than the MIDI versions.

Now, seeing as how DQVIII doesn't come out until 2017, is there a way we can feature enough "backlash" on VII's lack of orchestrated music as to hopefully get NOA to reverse this decision, or find a way to incorporate the orchestrated soundtrack into VIII once again? I know internet petitions are pretty common, but on occasion, they do hit their mark (such as with Project Rainfall), and if NOA or Squenix feels that adding the orchestrated OST back into DQVIII means more money, they'd probably do it.

The problem is that I don't think a boycott is really the way to go; that'd probably just be mis-interpreted as DQ once again not having a sizable enough audience here, potentially leading to even less DQ games localized, which is even worse than getting inferior versions. So, I dunno, what do you guys think? Any sort of peaceful protest (maybe leaving polite-but-firm comments on twitter asking for the orchestrated OST) or common, catchy hashtag might work? #DQorchestr8?

Edited by TriforceBun

I don't think Nintendo of America is in charge of deciding whether or not Dragon Quest VIII has an orchestrated soundtrack or not. Nintendo of America's only responsible for publishing Dragon Quest VIII in North America. Square Enix, on the other hand, is responsible for the localisation of Dragon Quest VIII in the West.

I think it would be a good idea to personally send a letter to Noriyoshi Fujimoto (or whoever is the producer of Dragon Quest VIII on the Nintendo 3DS) telling him that Dragon Quest fans in the West want an orchestrated soundtrack for Dragon Quest VIII (considering that Noriyoshi Fujimoto talked about receiving a lot of letters from Dragon Quest fans in the West about wanting Dragon Quest VII released in the West). However, I don't understand Japanese nor can I write in Japanese nor do I know where I can personally mail the letter to.

Good point; the fan response for DQVII was significant enough to make that version a reality for the US, so a similar approach might be a good idea. Would physical letters be the best way to go, or is there some sort of online approach that might work as well? I don't speak Japanese either, but I do draw and could whip up some art or something that might get the idea across...? Maybe send off some e-mails to Mr. Fujimoto, I dunno.

That recent interview where he said that people can't really tell the difference between orchestrated and MIDI OSTs was kind of a strange one. Not sure if he really believes that or is just covering up whatever the real reason is for DQVII's MIDI.

That recent interview where he said that people can't really tell the difference between orchestrated and MIDI OSTs was kind of a strange one. Not sure if he really believes that or is just covering up whatever the real reason is for DQVII's MIDI.

As I said in another thread?  He's actually most likely right.  Sure, people like us will notice but that's because if you're on this board you're likely considered a bit of a super fan.  Your average person playing the game?  They'll have no idea.

if NOA or Squenix feels that adding the orchestrated OST back into DQVIII means more money, they'd probably do it.

Unlikely. If someone's not interested in the game already, the soundtrack won't change things. I liked the soundtrack for the FF13 games, but it wouldn't make me play them. And the money they stand to lose from the people who will foolishly boycott the games isn't significant either to make a difference.

This is a crappy situation but we kinda got deal with it. The series is still on life support here so the fact these games are coming out at all is a miracle. And honestly if the rights are that much of a headache to get (and I would believe they are), I'm not even sure I can blame them for going this route. It would suck if we were told "oh well the games aren't coming out here because we couldn't successfully negotiate the music rights".

This will be contradictory coming from me, but we should do nothing. Any attempts to raise attention to this issue will lead to nothing, or with responses similar to what Enclave and Fates said.

Voicing disappoint may give Nintendo and Square the idea that people would like to see the music left alone, but they will go with the most cost effective route.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Upvote 1

Importing DQ7 also has the region lock barrier.

Forget importing. I'm gonna play the English version, and I'm gonna deal with the loss of the symphonic music because I'm a fan of DQ. It sucks, but that's how the cookie crumbles.

• Upvote 1

I should have said is to support the English release and if you do want to enjoy the 3DS versions with the symphonic music then import Japanese 7 and 8 on 3DS. Support the English releases by all means so we can avoid another 3 and half year wait just for a few games, but if you want the other music then import if you wish. It's not cost effective, but it's an option.

Or plan B, have the symphonic soundtracks on standby on a constant loop while playing the english versions on mute (or at least turn the music option down while leaving sound effects on) so you can play the games with the symphonic music. That's what I'm planning on doing.

Or you don't do either. Really at this point we get what we get and I'm tired of discussing the music, but thank god the games are going to be in English.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

I stand in the same opinion i had on VII's music change: the change is probably due to the limited space due to the western version having 4 more languages and its not really that important. Yeah, DQ music is great, but having orchestral music on a handheld wont make a big difference, specially nowadays that the midi versions aren't half as bad as some of you seem to think.

If someone cares that much for the soundtrack, they can just buy the symphonic suit cd, or just listen to it on youtube.

Voicing disappoint may give Nintendo and Square the idea that people would like to see the music left alone, but they will go with the most cost effective route.

Music... alone... Theatrhythm!? Do it

To quote my twinsie: "It's not coming."

To quote my twinsie: "It's not coming."
0e0ec1c59d65d68569158399d2791d45.jpg

Thank you, Platty. It seems like we haven't said that in awhile.

On a side note, it would be perfect to put that image on a t-shirt.

As long as no single guys wear it on dates, I'm fine with that.

tumblr_inline_o0np7xIlFY1tzwkwy_500_zpsh

That would be the funniest thing I've seen in a long while. Hell, I'll do it just to see a girl's face when she sees it.

I almost made an #OSTGate post on their facebook but I decided to wait until I actually got hold of DQ7 and hear the music myself. For all we know, now that they've acknowledged our cries for the symphonic version, they'll patch it in to make themselves look good. (Surely first prints are on their way to distributors already.)

I think we should pick and choose our battles. Until we have a US release date for XI and DQHeroes II, thats where our focus should be.

I think we should pick and choose our battles. Until we have a US release date for XI and DQHeroes II, thats where our focus should be.

Yeah, I agree. XI especially needs to get confirmed for out here.

I don't think we should. Honestly, there's already a US version of DQ8 that has the Orchestral OST. If you want that, go play the PS2 version. It's there and really cheap.

I almost made an #OSTGate post on their facebook but I decided to wait until I actually got hold of DQ7 and hear the music myself. For all we know, now that they've acknowledged our cries for the symphonic version, they'll patch it in to make themselves look good. (Surely first prints are on their way to distributors already.)

I think doing something like an #OSTGate thing would do more harm than good for Dragon Quest in the West.

• Upvote 1

I think doing something like an #OSTGate thing would do more harm than good for Dragon Quest in the West.

I agree, we should continue supporting DQ, not complaining about certain things.

• Upvote 1

You know, it would be pretty stupid if we didn't get the orchestrated soundtrack this time when the original DQVIII it was the other way around and only western versions got it.

Like I said many times, I would be disappointed if the western version of Dragon Quest VIII has a synthesised MIDI soundtrack instead of an orchestrated one.

But then again, I wouldn't be surprised, considering I've heard Koichi Sugiyama's very stingy when it comes to licenses.

I'll shut up now.

Considering how many FF soundtracks Square Enix has up on their store for overinflated prices, you'd think they'd throw Dragon Quest a bone and have the soundtrack for a game or something up there. That could be something music-wise I'd rally for.