Sign in to follow this  
YangustheLegendaryBandit

Yangus's Fantasically Final Fantasy 4 Heroes of Light Journal

(Gah, that might be the worst title yet for one of these.)

Well, here we are once again, another gameplay journal. I debated about doing this one, but hey, I figure since this game is the predecessor of the Bravely series, it's an honorary Bravely game so it gets its own journal. HOOOO WAAAAAAAA!

Anyway, on to talking about Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light on DS. I remember when this was one of the big games featured in Nintendo Power, and since it first appeared it's been stuck in my mind. Actually, a lot of games released have stuck with me whether I played them that same year or found out about them. Must've been a good year for games, especially with the likes of Tatsunoko vs Capcom, Etrian Odyssey III, SMT: Strange Journey, and Super Mario Galaxy 2 to name a few.

I'm not sure why I never bought 4 Heroes when it first came out, but better late then never. Plus playing and enjoying the Bravely games was the extra push to finally check this game out. With all that said, on to the game progress!

As of now, I have managed to get the full party and have returned to Horne Village to find (gasp) trouble. Who'd a thunk your home town would become cursed!

The gameplay is just like Bravely when in combat, with the exception that every action other than defending costs ability points, essentially this game's version of Brave Points. It's been easy to figure out, and I think it will make combat fun throughout the whole game.

I find it hilarious the job class system is literally hats. I like the idea of increasing their strength by placing jewels on them, so I guess grinding will serve a good way to build my collection. Besides, the Silly Hat Brigade (as I'm now going to call the party) must line their pockets with flashy trinkets galore!

It's funny to see enemies from Bravely in this game...or I guess it's technically the other way around. Either way it's cool to see how this game has ties to Bravely. Makes me wonder if the next Bravely game will make direct references to the world of 4 Heroes...

And we can't forget the Adventurer! Best save point.

The inventory system is reminiscent of Earthbound/Mother. It's not my favorite kind of inventory system, but after playing Earthbound so many times I know how to deal with this.

The graphical design/color palette of this game is very nice. Simple, bright, and eye catching. I've noticed a few sources say this game looks like a pop up book, and I completely agree. I know I'm still early on in the game, but this is a good looking game because it goes for a simple look. Almost reminds me of an N64 game...

One more thing: I'm really enjoying the music. The 8-bit sound helps create the classic feel. So now we've gone from 8-bit to symphonic (Default) to PS1-esque (Second) for sound in this series.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

I played it a while ago. I might have to pick it up again soon.

I was surprised that you only got one job class...er, I mean Crown after speaking with the Crystal. Figured it would start you out with the basic 4: Knight, Thief, White Mage, and Black Mage. I know gooie mentioned how you can obtain different crowns in another thread, but I'll be curious to see first hand what rewards me with new crowns for the party.

Before ending for the night, I found the desert town of Guera. I'm glad I wandered around the desert for a bit to gain the help of Kirdjh, and by the looks of it he has another crown the party could use....hmm...

It's a good thing I found him as his damage output was much higher than what Brandt or Yunita could do at the moment.

I loved that game! It was clearly a set up to lead into Bravely. Say hi to Rolan for me.

Well shoot, just before going to work I completed the desert area and lost Khidjh (or however his name is spelled). I reloaded my save in order to strip him of any goods he had, so the poor guy went into the boss fight with only a few potions and water stones to weaken the boss.

Looks like my next stop is a town called Andor. Good to see this game using punny names.

I reloaded my save in order to strip him of any goods he had, so the poor guy went into the boss fight with only a few potions and water stones to weaken the boss.

So you just decided to rob the guy? That's Krinjh-worthy behavior, Yangus.

I reloaded my save in order to strip him of any goods he had, so the poor guy went into the boss fight with only a few potions and water stones to weaken the boss.

So you just decided to rob the guy? That's Krinjh-worthy behavior, Yangus.

His loss is my gain. Plus he went off to....I don't know, moon heaven? Maybe he and his girlfriend went off to defend Fort Lune but couldn't even survive against a level 1 Ba'al.

Pssst don't worry, I have every single piece of equipment from every temporary party member ;)

YOU SICK FIEND! Stealing from one temporary is one thing, but all of them? For shame (but not really cause I'm gonna do it too) gooie.

As of now I'm in control of Aire (I swear her name has to be pronounced just differently enough that it doesn't sound like Airy) and Jusqua as they search for the Pirates. I didn't expect the narrative to shift between the characters, figured Brandt was the main character and the story would focus on him. It's a nice surprise.

All I need to do now is put on the Thief crown permanently :devil:

Edited by gooieooie

We'll have to start calling you The Jackal. ;)

I've managed to make a fair bit of progress:

-I sidetracked to the next town of Urbeth and upgraded Aire and Jusqua's equipment with some of the wares there. The Fire Harp really helped with the damage output of physical and magical attacks. I was struggling with the boss in the Pirate's Cave, so I made the detour to earn some extra EXP for the group. Changing my set up helped as well, making Aire a Black Mage and Jusqua a Wanderer (pretty sure that's the name of the first class, can't check at the moment).

-The whirlpool dungeon threw me off on where to find it. Turns out it appears at night inside the town of Liberte, not out in the ocean. I figured I would need the Pirates help to reach the dungeon. The dungeon itself was funny, as it gave me flash backs of Lord Jabu Jabu's Belly from Zelda: Ocarina of Time. That dungeon was very easy by the way, fire damage completely breaks that place open.

-Surprise cat adventurer which resulted in two new crowns, the Bandit and Bard! Wasn't too thrilled the cat adventure was cut short after after spending a lot of Gil on the higher level spells in Guera when finding Brandt.

-Now I'm back in control of Jusqua who is being followed by ANOTHER cat. Should've called this game Feline Fantasy...

I liked very much 4HotL when I played back in 2014. I only played it because I liked Bravely Default really much. Though in that 100 floors challenge (post-game) there is a floor that I just CANNOT find the stairs, it is ridiculous, I might never finish that.