Sign in to follow this  
Dark Slime

Voice Acting and Strategy Guide

Does anyone know if the Voice Acting will be in this game? I really hope it is, but I wonder if some of the characters like Jessica will be a new voice actor.

As far as I know, they cant just release the remake with the same voice dialogue used on the PS2 version unless the original voice actors sign off on it. I am sure all of them would for the money, but with the game changes made they probably will require new audio to be recorded.

We all know that the actress who played Jessica def wont be back, but I wonder how many other original actors besides Yangus they can get to come back to re-record lines if needed.

Also I have yet to see any release of a Japanese Strategy Guide for the 3DS version. Makes me wonder if there will be a U.S. Strategy Guide, would be nice to have one due to the game changes and additions. It looks to me like Official Strategy Guides are dying off though.

I honestly hope they re-record everything. Video game voice acting has made huge leaps since 2005 and VIII really shows its age at certain points. You can barely hear Angelo at some points because he voice gets lower and lower during certain bits of dialogue until the last few words he says are buried in the music in the background. Morrie performed the majority of his lines incorrectly. He calls the Hero "ragazzo," which is Italian for "boy" but he says it like a verbal tic after a sentence, not as the way he's addressing him. I could go on.

It would be a shame that so many of the good performances would be lost though, so maybe they'll just Persona 4 Golden it. We could just as easily get the voice acting only in Japanese though, which honestly, wouldn't bother me.

Eh, I doubt they'll re-record.  They'll probably want to use as much of the old material as they possibly can to reduce costs as much as possible.

I'm also fine with that.  Dragon Quest VIIIs voice acting has stood the test of time well enough.

Edited by Enclave
  • Upvote 1

Nintendo tries to release a quality product as best they can. If they wanted to reduce costs, they wouldn't bother with voice actors in the first place and stick with the Japanese cast like they did with Tokyo Mirage Sessions. If they did use old recordings and create new ones, I'm sorry, but whoever replaced the original Jessica is no Matthew Mercer. You could tell from a mile away what she would and would not have recorded for all of her new lines and what was used from the original game. It's either re-record the whole thing or don't do it at all instead of doing a slapdash job of it. People can accuse Nintendo of a lot of things, but cutting corners in the most embarrassingly obvious way possible like that isn't something they'd do.

Wait, they didn't get Emma Ferguson back?

Then yeah, any VA's they couldn't get back I feel they should redo the VA work for them.

Edited by Enclave

Nintendo tries to release a quality product as best they can. If they wanted to reduce costs, they wouldn't bother with voice actors in the first place and stick with the Japanese cast like they did with Tokyo Mirage Sessions. If they did use old recordings and create new ones, I'm sorry, but whoever replaced the original Jessica is no Matthew Mercer. You could tell from a mile away what she would and would not have recorded for all of her new lines and what was used from the original game. It's either re-record the whole thing or don't do it at all instead of doing a slapdash job of it. People can accuse Nintendo of a lot of things, but cutting corners in the most embarrassingly obvious way possible like that isn't something they'd do.

I thought Square Enix's responsible for the localisation of Dragon Quest VIII whilst Nintendo's responsible for the publicisation of Dragon Quest VIII in North America and Europe.

And I could be wrong, but Square Enix has cut corners before.

For Heroes at least. She was voiced by someone else. She sounded fine, but only had a passing resemblence to the original VA.

That's why I felt, if anything, they'd need to P4G it. In Persona 4 Golden they replaced actors that didn't return with new ones, while keeping the ones that would. Chie and Teddie, for example were recast and re-dubbed totally, while the remaining original actors recorded their new lines but preserved their old ones. Matthew Mercer would go on to replace Troy Baker as the voice of Kanji and a couple other continuing roles Baker had that he would no longer do. However, Troy Baker still did the first half of the Persona 4 anime while Matt Mercer came in an did the second half. Baker said it was because he went on his honeymoon but he never returned to the role again or any other anime role for some other reason.