Sign in to follow this  
Plattym3

Quest #155 - #BuildingAFanbase all over the place!

Hey there all.  With the release of Dragon Quest Builders less than 2 months away, I thought we could do a Social Media quest to get the word out in both the digital world and the real world about this great game!  The Japanese website has had these paper folding cubes available for a while, but Woodus has been so kind as to personalize them for our contest.

(actually this is a version 0.95 image, we moved the date, but you get the idea)

24et0ky.jpg

Download Paper cubes here, there are 10 types!

Here are the details of this Quest:

1. Print out a cube or 10 and cut and fold them.

2. Take the cube somewhere public and take a picture of it there... and LEAVE it there (yes, leave it as an advertisement)!

3. Post the picture on Twitter/Instagram/Facebook with the hashtag #BuildingAFanbase.  Tag @DragonQuest & @DQDragonsDen if you're on Twitter!  

4. Post the picture here too!  Best case, a screenshot or link to your Tweet.

5. Rinse and repeat as many times as you can!

OK, I hear you non-social media people screaming and crying.  Never fear.  If it really is something you cannot do and you still want to participate, please post the pictures here and indicate that you're unable to share it.  Woodus or I or the omnipresent Westy will share it out.  Oh, also... Disclaimer: we're going to share any of your entries no matter how you post/share, so please know that's going to happen.  The point of this quest is to NOT JUST POST STUFF HERE!  We want the word out.  Online, in person, in the real world!

Badge Details:  For completing this quest, you will earn the following badge:

A Bronze Block Badge - share 1-3 block photos

A Silver Block Badge - share 4-6 block photos

A Gold Block Badge - share 7-9 block photos

A Plattynum Block Badge - share 10+ block photos

You have until the release date, October 11, 2016 to post as many pictures as possible.  Happy Questing!

• Upvote 5

Here are the first 3 I tweeted out yesterday. Was at Lowe's building The Hulk with Plattym4 and then Gamestop for the DQVII demo.

ec0aadc866ecb77fb95984ccb270e327.jpg

b731740af4c07610b63020110f1753fd.jpg

cda4ed6654a12ed83d03c6503936b1e4.jpg

• Upvote 2

No way to print these up myself...sorry Platty, and everyone else.  It's also almost a monthly thing for me to leave the house the past 5 months.  It'll change at some point, hopefully sooner rather than later.

I've got no way to print these up either, though even if I did, I'm not on social media anyway. I prefer to be a little harder to find than most.

I found ignasia one time on YouTube.

No way to print these up myself...sorry Platty, and everyone else.  It's also almost a monthly thing for me to leave the house the past 5 months.  It'll change at some point, hopefully sooner rather than later.

I hope that does change.  We had member here from south Florida that ended up being too much of a recluse and had to totally drop video games to get back to life.  Woodus posted a message from here a couple years ago, years after he'd disappeared.  It was sad.

I've got no way to print these up either, though even if I did, I'm not on social media anyway. I prefer to be a little harder to find than most.

Thus our offer to put them on social media for you.  But... we can't print for you, true.

Did you just change your Twitter handle, Platty?  I went to look for this exchange (from your screenshots) with Bururian and couldn't find it.  I had a similar experience with the demo where I was distracted, talking to the Nintendo rep.  1st Arus/Auster died, then Maribel got poisoned and later died.  The demo was fun, but I couldn't tell if it was just overall challenging because the characters were under-leveled or if I was distracted by both the rep. and focusing on the similarities and differences between the 3DS-demo and PSX-original.

I'll check with my brother to see if he has a color printer.  I'm visiting him this weekend.  Hopefully I can get some of these printed up soon.

Did you just change your Twitter handle, Platty?

Yep. I'd originally made it for school and then got shot down from using it. So, now it's all plattym3 all the time.

I'll get a bunch printed out and left around. I thankfully got my printer up and running recently!

• Upvote 1

My brother has a color printer and I'm visiting him this weekend, so I'll print out a bunch.

• Upvote 1

Nice! I have a couple more planned. I haven't been out and about shopping in a whole week, so nothing new yet.

How exactly would you print these? Beyond having special card stock, would you need a special printer? Those sheets look pretty big.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk

How exactly would you print these? Beyond having special card stock, would you need a special printer? Those sheets look pretty big.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk

just standard 8.5" x 11" is what I printed on, just plain paper for me. I haven't tried black and white to see how they look, but I am sure it would work.

I printed out all 10 sheets at my bro's place.  Now for the planning phase.

I want to leave them somewhere specific to gaming or kids.  For example, I'll definitely drop one at NintendoNY, the GameStop in Union Square that had the DQVII demo, Best Buy, probably the Dragon's Den store in Poughkeepsie, upstate...stuff like that.

The actual cube building is harder than it looks.  I think I'm getting confused by what the numbers mean.  Was there ever an official cube-building guide, or are we supposed to wing it?  For example, I'm not entirely sure what's a fold line versus a cut line.  I'm kinda just figuring it out as I try to fold-if something doesn't fold right, I cut it.

I think I've got it. I didn't even have to use tape to keep it closed.  After enough folding it sorta all just fit together.

dqDragonsDen-myFirstBuilderCube.jpg

Not my first entry, but it is my first Cube.  Here goes nothing.  I've got the cube stored in a small coffee tin and in half an hour I'll be on my way to NintendoNY to meet up with the Dragon Quest Tag Mode Tuesday group for the launch of Dragon Quest VII.  Unfortunately there is no official launch event...so then I don't feel bad leaving this ad for a PS4 game there.

The actual cube building is harder than it looks.  I think I'm getting confused by what the numbers mean.  Was there ever an official cube-building guide, or are we supposed to wing it?  For example, I'm not entirely sure what's a fold line versus a cut line.  I'm kinda just figuring it out as I try to fold-if something doesn't fold right, I cut it.

Don't cut anything attached to the big squares.  Fold on the lines of the big squares.  Cut the other lines.  That's about it.

I left 2 so far.  One at NintendoNY on the day of Dragon Quest VII's launch, and one on Sunday at a GameStop in Herald Square.  Pics are on my phone, so I'll post them later.  I have one I'm working on for Saturday that I'm bringing to a gaming store in Poughkeepsie called...Dragon's Den!

The GameStop one I left near Dragon Quest Heroes PS4 game, so it almost looks like an in-store Dragon Quest promo.  Maybe the Dragon's Den one won't get stolen or thrown out for awhile, because it has a logo that says "Dragon's Den" on it.

• Upvote 1

Here are my first two:

DQ Builders Block #1: NintendoNY

https://twitter.com/LiamKersting/status/779079909125853188

DQ Builders Block #2: GameStop, Herald Square

https://twitter.com/LiamKersting/status/779081547446190084

I've already built my third one that I'll be leaving at the Dragon's Den (no relation) store in Poughkeepsie (slightly upstate NY) on Saturday morning.

Edited by Liamland
  • Upvote 1

So what do you think of as these for the winning ranks

155_bronze.png

155_silver.png

155_gold.png

155_plattynum.png

Or would you rather not have them isometric and just a square in the color, maybe with the hero on it?

155_squareonly.png

OK, sounds good :thumbsup:

Sign in to follow this