Sign in to follow this  
ErdrickRotoLotoOrtega

Do prefer your monsters animated or static?

Do prefer your monsters animated or static?  

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Speaks for itself, really.

Personally, I prefer the 2D animated style from the DS remakes. If I had to choose a close second, it would be the static with animated attacks style from DQVI and VII. I'm not a big fan of the 3D ones so far--not as nice to look at as the much more detailed 2D bitmaps.

Edited by ErdrickRotoLotoOrtega

Where's the option to vote for both? I honestly don't care if enemies are static images, if they have movement, 2D, 3D, whatever the case.

Where's the option to vote for both? I honestly don't care if enemies are static images, if they have movement, 2D, 3D, whatever the case.

In my view, an option for both would defeat the purpose of this being a poll. I made this poll because I've seen this discussion many times on this forum as well as other Dragon Quest fan forums. There are definitely preferences out there and I've read enough to decide that a poll is appropriate enough.

I don't like "Neutral" or "All of the above" as a poll option, to be honest. That would be like asking someone: "What's your favorite DQ game?" and having someone vote "all of them". This is more to see what people would choose if they had to lean one way or the other (IE: If you were backed into a corner and had to choose, which one is more appealing to you?).

Edited by ErdrickRotoLotoOrtega

OK, I've edited the main topic to allow people to choose more than one option. I'm not personally a big fan of having more than one vote but I can see how it may look unfair to force a voter only make one choice. So, you guys should be able to have multiple choice now. :thumbsup:

I actually do prefer the 3D animated models myself... though the 2D fully animated sprites are definitely a close 2nd! :tounge2:  Both are really delightful to look at for me!♪  :)

I'm gonna echo this sentiment.

• Upvote 1

I personally prefered the 2d sprites of the older games wth the DS Remake style beong my favourite. Not that I don't like the 3d models, it's just that some monsters didn't transition all that well.

I like the style of 2D sprites just as much as I like pretty 3D models moving around. They both have their place, though I guess not so much anymore for sprites in modern Dragon Quest games.

That's a good point, eal.  We may not see sprites in DQ too much in the future.

I like animated 2D sprites. It's always looked better than 3D models to me.

My favorite would be the sprites in the DS remakes of the Zenithia games.

They were pretty awesome.

They look sooo good. It was like when I saw the SNES remakes for the first time, too.

I'm a big fan of strong animation, but I find this a little tough to answer. I do think the animations in the DQ games generally look great (especially the DS remakes, as mentioned). The downside is that...well, you fight a LOT of battles in DQ, and anything that slows the game down somewhat means you're spending a bigger percentage of your time watching things happen. Sometimes, snappy, static combat just helps a game flow better than seeing the same animation you've seen plenty of times before. So I don't really know what I'd say.

In the case for games like DQVIII, which really go for immersion and atmosphere, I think it works nicely. It's worth the trade-off for the extra presentational oomph.

Don't have a strong opinion. Both work for the games they're in. It's like picking a favorite DQ or sexual position, sure there's some slight preference, but they're all good times as long as you're in motion!!!

Edited by Plattym3

Don't have a strong opinion. Both work for the games they're in. It's like picking a favorite DQ or sexual position, sure there's some slight preference, but they're all good times as long as you're in motion!!!

You have a point there, man.  :laugh:

• Upvote 1

Hmmm... the "in motion" bit wasn't a good choice. Maybe I should've gone with:

They're all good times as long as you're playing.