Sign in to follow this  
DarkBaramos

What do you hope isn't in this game?

You guys need to check out channel 9...

Channel 9?

Yup.

To get things back on topic, I don't want the side quest system of IX to return. Make the side quests meaningful, such as the Sabrecat or Monster Arena side quests of VIII.

You could just cut down sidequests to the story related ones in 9.  Those were pretty solid.  Maybe a few fun ones as well, where maybe you actively bake a cake for someone and have a chance of screwing up or getting a rare item in the process.

Yeah, story related side quests with a few meaty extra ones is a good idea.

Sounds like Majoras Mask(my favorite game of all time) where all the side quests are meaningful(some more than others) I would love this for DQ.

To get things back on topic, I don't want the side quest system of IX to return. Make the side quests meaningful, such as the Sabrecat or Monster Arena side quests of VIII.

Although this topic is for wishful thinking, that desire may just be wishful thinking.

Hell, even DQHTWTWATBB had like 100 quests in it. I'm thinking this might have already become a DQ staple feature. Not that it's limited to this series, but it's crossed from mainline to spinoff games. It seems like DQX has TONS of quests to do if I read that forum right. And the DQB demo I played in Japanese was nothing but Quest after Quest after Quest, although they seemed to push the story forward. I wonder if there are semi-meaningless extra quests in DQB itself.

LOL, I love ya man.  It's been awhile since you've spent a lot of time here.  So what have you been up to?  Shrine work?  Lots of interesting journalistic work?  Other?

Being a mod, I'm here all the time, but I haven't posted much. Almost halfway done with two very difficult and busy months. I'm exhibiting at a local convention this weekend and have another two weeks later. I'll have a special DQ VII piece at the one in September. I posted an in-progress pic on my Instagram yesterday.

• Upvote 3

No pseudo open world, please. Games that stick this in are usu ally killed for me. I like my linearity in RPGs because they are telling a story. When you give no sense of direction like they did with DQ6 after a certain point, I got lost, and really had zero motivation to play after that. I don't find adding sandbox to an RPG to be too much fun. At least with the Elder Scroll Games you are given direction, even if you choose not to follow it.

Now I'm curious as to how they'll handle the travel... whether it'll be more linear or be a more open-world style Dragon Quest... I'm personally fine either way with no real preference, (My two fav Dragon Quest games are DQIX and DQVI so...) but it did get me thinking! :P

I hope they remove the alchemy pot and tension system. Their inclusion has diminished the series.

I hope they remove the alchemy pot and tension system. Their inclusion has diminished the series.

Out of curiosity, how so?

I'm split on alchemy. It annoys me finding all this stuff and not selling it because it might be useful one day. It's also annoying how well they plan on you not being able to make anything much better than what you can buy at the time.

I'm split on alchemy. It annoys me finding all this stuff and not selling it because it might be useful one day. It's also annoying how well they plan on you not being able to make anything much better than what you can buy at the time.

I don't like IX's alchemy pot because of how many recipes there are and how much material and farming is needed for the better equipment.

VIII has totally different issues. Most of the best equipment in the game is made through alchemy and requires older equipment that you'd much rather sell for money to buy better equipment. Sometimes, by the time you find the recipe to make something, it's already outdated. You could argue that this means you should be experimenting, but like I said, there are too few recipes for you to experiment around with and hope to get something out of it. Then, there's the delay you have to suffer through after you mix the ingredients and have to wait. Plus, you can't even use the alchemy pot unless you're with the carriage.

I hate item creation. Farming for materials is boring and I hate how the best stuff is locked behind it.

Tension is a different issue. It's overpowered and centralizes combat strategy

I hate item creation. Farming for materials is boring and I hate how the best stuff is locked behind it.

Tension is a different issue. It's overpowered and centralizes combat strategy

I wouldn't consider Tension completely overpowered, since enemies do it too (some have a "instant max tension" super-psych-up that the player, of course, does not get) and can completely destroy your tension in an instant with Disruptive Wave/Wave of Ice.

Actually, at least for VIII, I think enemies are better at it than the player because nobody in that game gets Disruptive wave and your only options are Angelo's Sarcastic Snigger (Which only reduces one level, when enemies that use tension often do so multiple times a turn) and immobilizing (Which is very unreliable).

IX tension is a bit less dominant than VIII, due to the removal of the Timbrel and Egg on being limited to the protagonist.

I'm not saying that it isn't central to strategy, just that enemies do have counters for it.

• Upvote 1

To each their own, I suppose. I've actually really enjoyed Alchemy in every Dragon Quest game it's been present in... though I will admit that I preferred it in DQIX than DQVIII's.

Anyway, I'd offer my own two cents about the tension aspect of it... but I'd basically just be reiterating exactly what Glaceon Mage just said, so... either way, I'm looking forward to whatever ways Dragon Quest XI spices up the formula!♪ :)

• Upvote 1

III/IX's class system since i find VI/VII's a lot better (and less grindy!), but seeing DQH2 i fear it'll return... if there are classes at all.

I dont want DLC nor multiplayer either, but a multiplayer dungeon (with the whole game being single player except this one extra dungeon) would be nice.

Random battles or poorly done visible encounters. I'm glad random encounters are slowly disappearing, but I'll admit poorly done visible encounters are just as bad.

It won't be a deal breaker as far as getting the 3DS/PS4 versions, but I'm more concerned about how encounters are handled in the NX version (if it's any different from the others).

Random battles or poorly done visible encounters. I'm glad random encounters are slowly disappearing, but I'll admit poorly done visible encounters are just as bad.

It won't be a deal breaker as far as getting the 3DS/PS4 versions, but I'm more concerned about how encounters are handled in the NX version (if it's any different from the others).

More random encounter games need a radar for how close a random encounter is about to happen. Atlus has been on the money by having that in most games, but I wish others would do the same. Or at the least have an option like in Bravely Default/Second where you can adjust the random encounter rate.

More random encounter games need a radar for how close a random encounter is about to happen. Atlus has been on the money by having that in most games, but I wish others would do the same. Or at the least have an option like in Bravely Default/Second where you can adjust the random encounter rate.

Yeah, all the ambushes without any warning can grow quite old... and that's coming from me, I love grinding...  :goofyslime:

I LOVED that option.

I LOVED that option.

Man, I did too. It let me make runs while conserving MP.

Generic party members like 3/9.

I have to agree. It is part of the reason why I couldn't get into Dragon Quest IX at all. It is definitely my least favorite game of the series.

Yeah. I think it was excusable in both of those games, 3 because it represented a new, innovative class and party system, and in 9 bc of multiplayer, but in a newer game like this I think it'd work a little less, especially since it seems like it's panning out to be a much more story based game, at least compared to 3 or 9. (And I never left, I just decided to lurk instead of post, lol)