Sign in to follow this  
ErdrickRotoLotoOrtega

This remake seems heavily based on the Dragon Quest IX engine

I think DQIX was quite good; I'd probably rank it somewhere near the middle if ranking the entire series. Granted, consider that I find all the mainline DQ games to be very consistent in quality.

It's true that DQIX is decidedly less grand than its predecessor (that's what happens when you go from the PS2 to the DS), and that's kind of a mild disappointment. But at the same time, it feels like a pretty tight streamline of a lot of what makes DQ work. There are tons of things to do and craft, I felt the battle system and class system were very refined, the episodic/town plot elements were about as interesting as in any other DQ game, and the overarching story--while it didn't involve your party members--was pretty solid in its own right. I actually just wrote up a full review of the game on another message board, which you can read right here (I'm trying to get a review out for all of the mainline games as I play through them--III should be next!). 

By and large, DQIX feels like a modernized version of DQIII, which is in no way a bad thing. Even if some of the quests are admittedly tedious with paltry rewards!

• Upvote 1

I think DQIX was quite good; I'd probably rank it somewhere near the middle if ranking the entire series. Granted, consider that I find all the mainline DQ games to be very consistent in quality.

It's true that DQIX is decidedly less grand than its predecessor (that's what happens when you go from the PS2 to the DS), and that's kind of a mild disappointment. But at the same time, it feels like a pretty tight streamline of a lot of what makes DQ work. There are tons of things to do and craft, I felt the battle system and class system were very refined, the episodic/town plot elements were about as interesting as in any other DQ game, and the overarching story--while it didn't involve your party members--was pretty solid in its own right. I actually just wrote up a full review of the game on another message board, which you can read right here (I'm trying to get a review out for all of the mainline games as I play through them--III should be next!). 

By and large, DQIX feels like a modernized version of DQIII, which is in no way a bad thing. Even if some of the quests are admittedly tedious with paltry rewards!

I agree that DQIX is similar to DQIII--especially the class system.

I think the story would shine as it was meant to if the localization had kept the same level of humor the original had (instead of converting every line of text into a bad and forced joke).

By the way, I think VIII was a step back from VII (except in graphics). Its focus was on contemplating the beautiful world (even the subtitle focuses on that), but it was simply "less" of everything else.

I prefer pre-determined portraits/looks for job classes. By using the look of the class, I can get an idea for a name and personality. It's why I like Dragon Quest 3's approach to the job system: each class has a unique look for the male and female option, so it gave me an idea for each on how to form a unique personality and create a name for each.

It's the same reason I enjoyed 7th Dragon III so much, as I could do the exact same thing.

What I dislike of this in a game like III is that the old, long moustached magician becomes the big, muscular soldier, then tall and lean sage... What name do I choose then? And they are meant to be the same person, just with another class.

It is just like the sixteen year old king of Romalia looking like any other old king out there.

• Upvote 1

Ok so it may be "based around" the IX engine, but it feels different to me.  The way the world map is set up is probably the most similar thing (I.E broken into small sections with different screens to load).  But things definitely feel a lot smoother, the graphics are less cel shady and more colorful and 3D looking.  The walking animations look better and different characters have more noticable height differences (a lot of this stems from the fact that your characters aren't created by you with a few options).

And then there's the battles.  The battles couldn't look more different.  Firstly your party stands very close to one another (as oppose to them running around during action parts), and the camera zooms out of the enemies while your party takes action.  It looks quite good in stereoscopic 3D, and the battle animations are cooler in this than DQ IX.  A lot of them are "short and sweet" where as DQ IX (and VIII even) purposely drag out certain animations for moves, as part of the style for those games. 

Edited by Neko
  • Upvote 1

VIII was intentionally taking a step back.

It simplified the skill system.  Simplified character growth overall.  Simplified its enemies, reverting back to old-hat style and virtually its entire roster is borrowed, and what few new enemies are present have simple design aesthetics more reminiscent of 1~6.  While 7 was the first game to really expand the artistic style and approach to enemy design.  However it's more cartoonish in 7 than in 9.  9 sees a more realistic approach to new enemy aesthetics, however, it's fun to note that 3, 7, and 9 all see the most drastic changes in expanding the types and artistic approaches to the design aesthetics of characters, npcs, towns, dungeons, and monsters.

The story was simplified as well, but focused more on in-the-moment scenarios that the party is constantly trying to get ahead of.  The individual town scenarios are short, almost as short as they were in 6.  The level of emotional depth and sophistication of the vignettes is on a similar level to 4, with maybe two reaching 5's appeal to familial relations, but only in terms of loss and sacrifice.  They lack the complex political, philosophical, and spiritual connotations present in 6 and 7 (and in one key element of 5's storyline...slavery).  There's VERY little nuance and required reflection to figure out any particular meaning, with the sole exception of Ascantha, but even then, every story element is very easy to grasp, and requires little to no extraneous thought process to comprehend even the most complex elements inherent in the sub-plots and main plot.

The characters are simplified in their growth and connection to one another, with the exception of Medea and Trode, especially Trode.  Even then, everyone, at the very end, remains identical to their origins, with a slight exception of Jessica, and one moment for Angelo (when he saves his half-brother's life), but these are momentary reflections only relevant to that particular point in the storyline.  Even Milly shows more gradual change by the end.  Nevan becomes less arrogant and more helpful and refined.  Ashlynn less of an airhead.  Nevermind the complex and artful changes apparent to DQ7's characters.  Even 5's characters show depth and change over time, though very slight, with the exception of Deborah in the remakes, but then she requires such a change, as one cannot remain tsundere without adopting a more open, enlightened, and giving personality (neither Nera nor Bianca shift their personalities, though Bianca does become even MORE attached and appreciative, but this is due to Horii preferring the player to choose her, and I'm going from standard text in the original, not party chat).

Yangus, for all the love I bear him, is actually no different on the boat, with his guv' than he is after forming a new partnership with Red at the end.  His attitude, demeanor, and personality never once shift.  He's already the same changed man due to the hero's benevolence.

It's definitely done to make things clear-cut, dry, and refine various elements and approaches, while expanding the interface system drastically with real 3D.  It allowed for the changes in 9 and 10 to the skill system.

In a way, it's like a return to 4.  4 was a much simpler game than is 3.  More complex story, more nuanced plot, but gameplay elements are cut and dry, much like DQ8 is to 7 and even 6.

Edited by ignasia7
  • Upvote 1

I think the story would shine as it was meant to if the localization had kept the same level of humor the original had (instead of converting every line of text into a bad and forced joke).

By the way, I think VIII was a step back from VII (except in graphics). Its focus was on contemplating the beautiful world (even the subtitle focuses on that), but it was simply "less" of everything else.

I prefer pre-determined portraits/looks for job classes. By using the look of the class, I can get an idea for a name and personality. It's why I like Dragon Quest 3's approach to the job system: each class has a unique look for the male and female option, so it gave me an idea for each on how to form a unique personality and create a name for each.

It's the same reason I enjoyed 7th Dragon III so much, as I could do the exact same thing.

What I dislike of this in a game like III is that the old, long moustached magician becomes the big, muscular soldier, then tall and lean sage... What name do I choose then? And they are meant to be the same person, just with another class.

It is just like the sixteen year old king of Romalia looking like any other old king out there.

You know, when I saw you had commented on this topic, I had a funny feeling you would respond to one of my posts. Sure enough you did, so I wasn't disappointed.

I'm sorry you have problems with the way III handles itself and that you have naming issues.

• Upvote 1

You know, when I saw you had commented on this topic, I had a funny feeling you would respond to one of my posts. Sure enough you did, so I wasn't disappointed.

I'm sorry you have problems with the way III handles itself and that you have naming issues.

What can I say? I love DQ III, but I cannot imagine that whole appearance change when the party changes classes.

It is like having The Adventure of Dai's Masopho suddenly looking like Apollo or Baron just because he started learned priest spells.

masopho_by_miaovic-d4guaw8.png

apollo_by_miaovic-d5n5mc9.png

baron_by_miaovic-d4hbwh7.png

For me IX just felt like a weak entry in the series. Partly because it came after something as grand as VIII. Lofty thing to overcome.

But there were other things that rubbed me the wrong way in it, one of those being the challenges you had to do to unlock classes. Some of them were ridiculous and only served to frustrate you.

And the grottos... got really boring after a while. I wish they had different music.

Somebody gets it, especially that first paragraph.

There are many reasons I hate IX. It's the only game I've played in my 20 years of gaming that I can say I genuinely hate.

It was nearly 10 years between me playing DQ8 and DQ9, but I had just recently played the first few games, 3 especially, so it wasn't so bad that way.

And then there's the battles.  The battles couldn't look more different.  Firstly your party stands very close to one another (as oppose to them running around during action parts), and the camera zooms out of the enemies while your party takes action.  It looks quite good in stereoscopic 3D, and the battle animations are cooler in this than DQ IX.  A lot of them are "short and sweet" where as DQ IX (and VIII even) purposely drag out certain animations for moves, as part of the style for those games. 

I think DQ7 3DS is the perfect incarnation of DQ combat visuals. Keeping the classic first person view with a look at your party's actions, too.

• Upvote 1

I didn't care for the graphics or writing of IX, but when I actually sat down and played through some quests with a friend, I had more fun than I've had in any other DQ game. Not my favorite in the series, but the multiplayer wins it a special place. Its a shame that most people in America can't experience that since they're the only DQ fans in their respective state.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk