Sign in to follow this  
ErdrickRotoLotoOrtega

This remake seems heavily based on the Dragon Quest IX engine

I never really thought IX would elicit such strong reactions from people. I knew it was some peoples' least favorite game in the same way that VI is some peoples' least favorite, but I didn't think it was quite this polarizing, and this is coming from someone who joined back when IX was the big game everyone was discussing here.

It's a conversation worthy of its own topic in a lot of ways.

Reading through this topic, I honestly don't see any super strong reactions to DQIX, just opinions. Actually it's more the people reacting to others saying they don't like it that's the problem here. I mean, I didn't like one feature off FFXII and I jokingly go on and on about it as much as I much as I do about "It's not coming."

I mean, have you ever seen anyone here calling out people for LIKING a game? I mean, I laughingly do, and others poke fun, but no one gets pissed when people like something.

It's strong reactions to people saying they DON'T like something that's really becoming the dick moves around here.

That's a dick move around every corner of the Internet. It's basically the reason I don't go on a lot of forums or read most comment sections anymore. You're damned for liking something, you're damned for not liking something.

I guess the phrase "polarizing opinions" would have been better suited to the point I was trying to get across.

I never really thought IX would elicit such strong reactions from people. I knew it was some peoples' least favorite game in the same way that VI is some peoples' least favorite, but I didn't think it was quite this polarizing, and this is coming from someone who joined back when IX was the big game everyone was discussing here.

Reading through this topic, I honestly don't see any super strong reactions to DQIX, just opinions. Actually it's more the people reacting to others saying they don't like it that's the problem here. I mean, I didn't like one feature off FFXII and I jokingly go on and on about it as much as I much as I do about "It's not coming."

I mean, have you ever seen anyone here calling out people for LIKING a game? I mean, I laughingly do, and others poke fun, but no one gets pissed when people like something.

It's strong reactions to people saying they DON'T like something that's really becoming the dick moves around here.

That's a dick move around every corner of the Internet. It's basically the reason I don't go on a lot of forums or read most comment sections anymore. You're damned for liking something, you're damned for not liking something.

I guess the phrase "polarizing opinions" would have been better suited to the point I was trying to get across.

The thing is that there's always going to be people on both sides of the coin. It's one thing if someone constantly brings up their hatred or love of a game in any topic, even mostly unrelated ones, but when there's just normal discussion, there's no reason to get irritated. That's how arguments start. Discussions tend to naturally evolve as time goes on, and we all have to learn how to roll with it.

I'll own up to that "brings up their hatred," bit, but I hope people realize i'm not being 100% serious everytime. Especially that earlier post of "Short answer, Long answer."

The point I was trying to make was here at the Den I've not seen the "damned if you like it" bit at all.

Teasing, yes. But the damnation here has only been saved for the not liking. That's the part that just needs to become way less serious:

Talk in puns.

Use a funny accent.

Use more poop emoticons.

I'll own up to that "brings up their hatred," bit, but I hope people realize i'm not being 100% serious everytime. Especially that earlier post of "Short answer, Long answer."

I wasn't talking about you, Yangus. You make it exceedingly clear when you're joking. There are two specific people I had in mind over on GameFAQs. They constantly bring up their love of Persona 4 and claim it as the best of the series, and that it has the best protagonist, all the while altering quoted posts and pretending that Persona 1 and 2 are fan games.

If I had moderator powers, I'd ban them in a second due to the major annoyances they are.

I figured you weren't Sword, but I'm still guilty of it.

You're a good man, Yangus.

We don't have poop emoticons, so can we just use the other ones?

:):P:tounge2::thumbsup::wd_coolslime:;):whoa::cry2:>.<:laugh::gag:

They constantly bring up their love of Persona 4 and claim it as the best of the series, and that it has the best protagonist

I like Persona 4 as much as the next guy but how can anyone claim a game with a blank-slate protagonist has the best one?

Is it because he's such a blank slate that they can project themselves onto him, and with a character so like themselves, how could he not be the best character? Because that would be a warped perspective of a blank-slate protagonist.

They constantly bring up their love of Persona 4 and claim it as the best of the series, and that it has the best protagonist

I like Persona 4 as much as the next guy but how can anyone claim a game with a blank-slate protagonist has the best one?

Is it because he's such a blank slate that they can project themselves onto him, and with a character so like themselves, how could he not be the best character? Because that would be a warped perspective of a blank-slate protagonist.

I have no idea. Talking to them is like talking to a brick wall, and I can only do that for so long before I start to lose it.

I have no idea. Talking to them is like talking to a brick wall, and I can only do that for so long before I start to lose it.

Could be worse.  They could be me!  You can't spell ignasia without ign, and ign is the first three letters in ignoramus.

Could be worse. They could be me! You can't spell ignasia without ign, and ign is the first three letters in ignoramus.

Ignoramus is the last word I'd use to describe you.

I didn't know our very own Yangus created an internet meme.  lol  I'll say it again:  I loved DQ9, but everyone has their own opinions and that's fine by me.  I was expecting a huge letdown after VIII, with it being for the DS and all, but I really wasn't let down at all.  I still prefer VIII over IX, but I thought IX was almost just as good and in some ways better.  I think it's worth mentioning that I got really into the post-game stuff since that seems to be a large determining factor as to whether people like IX or not.

I feel like IX would probably be fun just to play through the story at least if it weren't for the horribly distracting localization. I probably wouldn't bother with all the quests, but I bet I'd enjoy the story if I could just get into it and not be pulled away from it.

I really wish DQ10 would come out here. It's quests are much more interesting, even the fetch quests don't feel cheap and lame like DQ9's. It takes pretty much every aspect of DQ9 and makes it better.

• Upvote 1

I think my biggest gripe with 9 will be those damn class unlock quests. They stop me from wanting to replay :(

And you know,1 save.

I still want to see an enhanced 3DS release with all the DQVC items, quests and guests unlocked without needing to connect online.

Like cycle it within the game based on Earth time.

3 saves, etc.

• Upvote 1

oh I really don't care to lose the save aside from having to repeat those dang quests :butbut:

• Upvote 1

So, I'll throw my 2 cents in.

1 - I love puns. L.O.V.E. I'm that quirky teacher that at least once an hour has a groan-evoking pun or joke. So the entire script for DQIX was perfect. It was like it was written just for my amusement. And the cultural references?! Awesome! Swindimples Academy gets me every time.

2 - I love jobs. There were quite a good variety. I wasn't pleased how they handled them, seems like DQVII 3DS has a good way of handling them without allowing 100% superpowered people with a billion skills/spells. But I enjoyed the jobs.

3 - I love quests. I may have been annoyed or whatever at some, but they were always fun in the end. Even the hard job unlock ones.

4 - Grottos were fun. I never got far into post game stuff until Liamland hooked me up with some great maps, but I may have done as much post game as normal game. Barely scratched the surface, but that's OK. I enjoyed it a lot.

5 - Story was fine. I didn't have complaints.

6 - Naming my characters and making them look certain ways gave them personalities and characterisation to me. Not ideal, but it didn't bother me. Sometimes you get Gabo, Jessica, and Taloon, sometimes you make your own. It's fine.

7 - Neat to have it on DS and be portable.

So, I completely see all the complaints, but we're all slightly different gamers. Luckily for me, it all worked.

Could be worse. They could be me! You can't spell ignasia without ign, and ign is the first three letters in ignoramus.
Ignoramus is the last word I'd use to describe you.
Ignorant he is not.

I prefer pre-determined portraits/looks for job classes. By using the look of the class, I can get an idea for a name and personality. It's why I like Dragon Quest 3's approach to the job system: each class has a unique look for the male and female option, so it gave me an idea for each on how to form a unique personality and create a name for each.

It's the same reason I enjoyed 7th Dragon III so much, as I could do the exact same thing.

• Upvote 1

I prefer pre-determined portraits/looks for job classes. By using the look of the class, I can get an idea for a name and personality. It's why I like Dragon Quest 3's approach to the job system: each class has a unique look for the male and female option, so it gave me an idea for each on how to form a unique personality and create a name for each.

It's the same reason I enjoyed 7th Dragon III so much, as I could do the exact same thing.

Is it odd that I preferred the female version of every class, barring the Fighter?

Nah, that's not odd. We all have our preferences.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

Okay, cool. After all, female Clerics and Mages were just better.

And hotter, but that's neither here nor there.

Okay, cool. After all, female Clerics and Mages were just better.

And hotter, but that's neither here nor there.

Looking at your signature, it's here, there, and everywhere.

No harm in that!

Is it odd that I preferred the female version of every class, barring the Fighter?

HAREM PARTY BEST PARTY

• Upvote 1

Maybe it's just me, but I always thought that DQIX felt a bit like DQIII. The similarities are definitely there:

-Hero falls from his world and is eventually unable to ever go home again

-The job class system is exactly the same: generic characters who will start back over at level 1 every time you change their vocation

-The dark world is a once light world that was bastardized by a demon lord and returns to light after you defeat the demon lord

-Erdrick's equipment is in the game

-Your party members more or less resemble their vocational look from DQIII (Warrior having red armor, etc)

While not a huge amount of similarities, the premise is the same: hero "from the heavens" saves the world and becomes trapped there, unable to ever go home again--just like the legend of Erdrick.

Thinking of similarities like that makes the story more appealing...to me, at least.