Sign in to follow this  
ErdrickRotoLotoOrtega

This remake seems heavily based on the Dragon Quest IX engine

I've never been a fan of A.I. control. If I can manually take command of my team, I will.

The only game I didn't mind it at all in was FFXII, because the Gambit system worked wonderfully in organizing my team's actions.

I've never been a fan of A.I. control. If I can manually take command of my team, I will.

The only game I didn't mind it at all in was FFXII, because the Gambit system worked wonderfully in organizing my team's actions.

Time for my semi-weekly shout out to the only game that literally just played itself. That game was my first and only Let's Play. On the PS2. Before YouTube was invented.
  • Upvote 1

Time for my semi-weekly shout out to the only game that literally just played itself. That game was my first and only Let's Play. On the PS2. Before YouTube was invented.

I didn't use Gambits on my party leader. There were still things that could go wrong, and you never knew when you wanted manual control over something. This is especially true when status effects came into play.

I must be one of the few people who didn't mind the alchemy speed in 8. Only time it was annoying was towards the end of the game, but that's mainly because you have to wait till then to make all the best stuff like Timberals of Tension.

It was fun running around to create new items.

The flak is deserved for IX.

Yeah no. IX is a great game with a deep job system and more content than most other DQ games. This meme needs to stop.

• Upvote 1

I didn't know it was considered a meme now.

Either way, I stand by what I said.

Yeah no. IX is a great game with a deep job system and more content than most other DQ games. This meme needs to stop.

The meme that needs to stop is Spongecave Manbob.

This is also true.

This is also true.

It's not a meme. DQ9 lacked proper character development, had a boring class system which offered little reason to switch classes, had all the decent classes locked behind infuriating, boring, and arbitrary quests, and while I won't say it had a bad story, the annoyingly over the top localization ruined the delivery of the story. It's the only Dragon Quest game I've ever played where I actually lost interest in continuing not because I got stuck, but because the story wasn't entertaining me. And how could it be entertaining when every other line of text causes me to groan at some pun?

Edited by Erdrick The Hero
  • Upvote 2

It's not a meme. DQ9 lacked proper character development, had a boring class system which offered little reason to switch classes, had all the decent classes locked behind infuriating, boring, and arbitrary quests, and while I won't say it had a bad story, the annoyingly over the top localization ruined the delivery of the story. It's the only Dragon Quest game I've ever played where I actually lost interest in continuing not because I got stuck, but because the story wasn't entertaining me. And how could it be entertaining when every other line of text causes me to groan at some pun?

I don't really play video games for story, so that doesn't bother me.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Erdrick gets it. Especially the character/job class comments.

Even if this is some meme or not, it's status doesn't change what I would normally say.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Upvote 1

*twiddles fingers...*

I won't go there...

O_o...no, and no.

I'd like to see DQ9 get completely re-localized by a competent team.

• Upvote 1

That was pretty shitty of me, so I'm removing the comment.

Edited by ignasia7

You know, I was going to do a Yangus Thoughts on DQ9 to give my full thoughts (both what I did and did not like) on the game, but I don't think I will anymore. Because even though I $#!&@ and joke about 9, I don't think it's a bad game. I just don't like it.

You know, I was going to do a Yangus Thoughts on DQ9 to give my full thoughts (both what I did and did not like) on the game, but I don't think I will anymore. Because even though I $#!&@ and joke about 9, I don't think it's a bad game. I just don't like it.

Therein lies the huge difference. Gotta toe that line all the time with these products I get willy nilly for free from Amazon vendors that I don't like or care for, but really do exactly what they claim they do.

I'm sorry man, that was wrong of me to write that.  I shouldn't be so hard on you or Erdrick, or even Platty.

You've a right to your opinion, and I shut that down.  I apologize for my lack of decorum and respect for your opinions.

Don't worry about it.

It's true I don't like DQ9, and that will probably stick around. But like I said, just because I don't like it, that doesn't mean I think it's a bad game by any means. There are just a number of things I don't care for that the game did.

But I'll save my full thoughts for later. I figure it's time I clear the air on my feelings towards that particular DQ game.

Don't worry about it.

It's true I don't like DQ9, and that will probably stick around. But like I said, just because I don't like it, that doesn't mean I think it's a bad game by any means. There are just a number of things I don't care for that the game did.

But I'll save my full thoughts for later. I figure it's time I clear the air on my feelings towards that particular DQ game.

Yangus basically feels the way I do, with the only difference being that I like DQ9...to a point. There's just things about it that are severely lacking.

I honestly have a low opinion of Dragon Quest IX as far as Dragon Quest games go.  I still really love the game though.  That's the crazy thing about Dragon Quest, even the games that I like the least I still like enough to do multiple play throughs throughout the years.

• Upvote 2

Holy $#!& people.

This thread went boom.

That's because people let their dislike for DQ9 get ahead of themselves, and focused on that.  Sometimes, if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all.

Plenty of elements of DQ9's system used in DQ7 that could have been discussed openly as to why it's good, rather than steer it entirely in the negative, or focus on why you hate 9...seriously getting sick of it.  Though I can't say much because it isn't like I tried to steer it back into a constructive conversation.

Too much hardline black and white opinions these days.  Not enough grey and colour.  Humanity is more polarized than at any point in our history, and arguably more so than in the 70's.

• Upvote 1

I never really thought IX would elicit such strong reactions from people. I knew it was some peoples' least favorite game in the same way that VI is some peoples' least favorite, but I didn't think it was quite this polarizing, and this is coming from someone who joined back when IX was the big game everyone was discussing here.

It's a conversation worthy of its own topic in a lot of ways.

I never really thought IX would elicit such strong reactions from people. I knew it was some peoples' least favorite game in the same way that VI is some peoples' least favorite, but I didn't think it was quite this polarizing, and this is coming from someone who joined back when IX was the big game everyone was discussing here.

It's a conversation worthy of its own topic in a lot of ways.

Reading through this topic, I honestly don't see any super strong reactions to DQIX, just opinions. Actually it's more the people reacting to others saying they don't like it that's the problem here. I mean, I didn't like one feature off FFXII and I jokingly go on and on about it as much as I much as I do about "It's not coming."

I mean, have you ever seen anyone here calling out people for LIKING a game? I mean, I laughingly do, and others poke fun, but no one gets pissed when people like something.

It's strong reactions to people saying they DON'T like something that's really becoming the dick moves around here.

• Upvote 2