Sign in to follow this  
ErdrickRotoLotoOrtega

This remake seems heavily based on the Dragon Quest IX engine

DQX looks nothing like DQIX stylistically. (It does pull many gameplay elements from IX, as IX was basically a scaled-back prototype for X. X is a much better experience though, too bad it hasn't been released in the west...)

DQX looks nothing like DQIX stylistically. (It does pull many gameplay elements from IX, as IX was basically a scaled-back prototype for X. X is a much better experience though, too bad it hasn't been released in the west...)

In terms of basic character design and looks, a lot of the human characters look like they were made with the IX character creator.

• Upvote 1

Nah, I liked Stella too.

But she was quirky, funny, $#!&@y, yes, but she definitely added to the world and the game itself.

Stella was great. Nothing wrong with a sexy fairy.

I didn't mind her at all but I'd be lying if I said a gyaru doesn't seem out of place in Dragon Quest. I can see why people would have issues.

Eh, DQ has had best dressed contests :P

Plus with the DQIX dress up aspect, I think she fits perfectly.

I enjoyed IX a he'll of a lot more than I did VIII. VIII was pretty, but it was a step down from VII in terms of gameplay and story. Great world design though.

• Upvote 2

Speaking of best dressed.

DQ7 3DS, can Maribel/Aira see their external appearance change with particular pieces of gear?

Lot of differing opinions on IX based on what you look for in a game, that's really what it comes down to. You could say it's a positive that a series has so many different entries that try something new while still sticking to its roots. Final Fantasy certainly can't say the same as it tries to adapt more and more to what others are doing.

• Upvote 1

Speaking of best dressed.

DQ7 3DS, can Maribel/Aira see their external appearance change with particular pieces of gear?

Maribel's appearance will change to the special armor you can claim from the God battle, aka the pink night gown.

^ LEWD

On a different note, IX will probably be the most polarizing game of the franchise.

I enjoyed IX a he'll of a lot more than I did VIII. VIII was pretty, but it was a step down from VII in terms of gameplay and story. Great world design though.

I look at VIII as a "back to basics" kind of DQ, and it worked well for that game.

I look at VIII as a "back to basics" kind of DQ, and it worked well for that game.

Damn straight it did.

DQIX is probably my 3rd favorite main-line game behind VIII and V.  In fact, I believe DQIX is my favorite DS game.

I will say that IX improved over VIII in one way--the Alchemy Pot. The Alchemy Pot in IX was instantaneous--no wait time like VIII. However, I've read many times before that many people, for some reason, prefer the slow-cooking pot of VIII over the instant one of IX. Now THAT I don't understand...

• Upvote 1

I will say that IX improved over VIII in one way--the Alchemy Pot. The Alchemy Pot in IX was instantaneous--no wait time like VIII. However, I've read many times before that many people, for some reason, prefer the slow-cooking pot of VIII over the instant one of IX. Now THAT I don't understand...

I've actually heard that the Nintendo 3DS remake of Dragon Quest VIII has an instantaneous Alchemy Pot as well.
  • Upvote 2

Yeah, as does the mobile version.

And you could get it as a reward from the Dragovian Trials in the original, they changed the reward in mobile and the 3DS release since it's already instant.

Wow, I didn't know there was an instant option in DQVIII-PS2.  I hadn't played that far.  Thanks!

I'm enjoying alchemy in DQVIII-mobile, but I notice it's slightly different from IX in that sometimes pieces are missing and they'll only give you a basic description.  "Something sharp" for example.  So you have to kind of guess and try things out.  I feel like IX was pretty cut and dry when it came to recipes.  You either had the recipe or you didn't.  The only guessing was done blindly or through word of mouth, or FAQs/strategy guides.  I think I like DQVIII's a little better, because it makes you think more and gives more incentive for experimentation.  The wait time in the original, though...

There's also fewer things to make in 8's Alchemy Pot. Trying to make every recipe in IX was a tedious chore for completions sake. And most everything in 8 has a use if you make it at the right time.

Wow, I didn't know there was an instant option in DQVIII-PS2.  I hadn't played that far.  Thanks!

I'm enjoying alchemy in DQVIII-mobile, but I notice it's slightly different from IX in that sometimes pieces are missing and they'll only give you a basic description.  "Something sharp" for example.  So you have to kind of guess and try things out.  I feel like IX was pretty cut and dry when it came to recipes.  You either had the recipe or you didn't.  The only guessing was done blindly or through word of mouth, or FAQs/strategy guides.  I think I like DQVIII's a little better, because it makes you think more and gives more incentive for experimentation.  The wait time in the original, though...

Thank goodness the Alchemy Pot is instantaneous in both the mobile version and the Nintendo 3DS version of Dragon Quest VIII. As much as I love Dragon Quest VIII on the PlayStation 2, I absolutely hated that how fast items can be made in the Alchemy Pot depends on the number of steps you take. 

Thank goodness the Alchemy Pot is instantaneous in both the mobile version and the Nintendo 3DS version of Dragon Quest VIII. As much as I love Dragon Quest VIII on the PlayStation 2, I absolutely hated that how fast items can be made in the Alchemy Pot depends on the number of steps you take. 

The problem I have with this is the balance was based around this very concept of traveling around making alchemy items.  They should have increased the exp gains by 10~20% to compensate.

Not until the post-game stuff, but yeah.

Better late than never I guess XD

I don't think the game balance was based on the alchemy travel at all. See, the original PS2 version from Japan, at least from what I've been told, had instant alchemy from the get-go. The wait time was added by Level 5 when they decided to change a bunch of stuff for the western releases.

I don't think the game balance was based on the alchemy travel at all. See, the original PS2 version from Japan, at least from what I've been told, had instant alchemy from the get-go. The wait time was added by Level 5 when they decided to change a bunch of stuff for the western releases.

Actually, the Alchemy Pot in the Japanese version of Dragon Quest VIII on the PlayStation 2 isn't instantaneous (just like with the Western version).

(Go to 12:20)

Edited by Dakhil
  • Upvote 1

I never minded non-instantaneous pot. It just was as it as when I played DQVIII. Now, after you know what it could be... Then yeah.

It's like AI control of characters. Never missed it until I knew it could be done in later games.