Sign in to follow this  
ErdrickRotoLotoOrtega

This remake seems heavily based on the Dragon Quest IX engine

I know I'm sounding like Captain Statingtheobvious here but it looks very similar to Dragon Quest IX in many ways:

-The setup with a static old map on one screen with the gameplay on the other

-Grotto/grotto-style system

-Battle menus

-The way your characters change costumes

-The battle screens themselves

-The way there are several sections of map that change as you cross the "gates"

I've noticed that Dragon Quest IX receives a lot of flak. While it's not my favorite of the series, you have to admit--it had an incredible graphical setup and nice-looking battle system.

While I prefer the classic battle screens more, I don't mind the more "active" screens either.

I also love how they borrowed from the DS remakes as well in terms of town and castle sprites and the overall graphical format.

All-in-all, the game looks gorgeous and polished--like an updated version of Dragon Quest IX.

Edited by ErdrickRotoLotoOrtega
  • Upvote 1

As well it should, Captain.

Yeah, it's like the Pokemon remakes. They use the current graphics and such to remake old games. I loved DQIX so I'm happy this will be reminiscent of that.

The flak is deserved for IX.

So, what is that everyone hates about IX? While it's not my favorite, I was a bit surprised to see it so hated.

What is it that people dislike about that game?

Short answer: Everything.

Long answer: Everything but the music.

Well, I didn't like the absence of party talk and I didn't like how much of the game is reliant upon post-game content, but the story mode seemed like standard Dragon Quest fare. Aside from the those aspects, I'm not sure why everything else is perceived as bad.

For me IX just felt like a weak entry in the series. Partly because it came after something as grand as VIII. Lofty thing to overcome.

But there were other things that rubbed me the wrong way in it, one of those being the challenges you had to do to unlock classes. Some of them were ridiculous and only served to frustrate you.

And the grottos... got really boring after a while. I wish they had different music.

For me IX just felt like a weak entry in the series. Partly because it came after something as grand as VIII. Lofty thing to overcome.

But there were other things that rubbed me the wrong way in it, one of those being the challenges you had to do to unlock classes. Some of them were ridiculous and only served to frustrate you.

And the grottos... got really boring after a while. I wish they had different music.

Somebody gets it, especially that first paragraph.

There are many reasons I hate IX. It's the only game I've played in my 20 years of gaming that I can say I genuinely hate.

Is that what it is, then? The post game content? Seems like every single conversation I've read regarding DQIX involves complaints about trying to unlock some grotto or quest post game, finding the elements, etc. Is that what it is? Everyone is angry about the post game content? The main story mode itself is rather passable, though. Nothing special but nothing terrible.

I will say that IX is rather..."Standard". It feels like something that would have been better suited as a sequel to Dragon Quest III. From my recollection,  you don't even acquire the ability to fly until post game. THAT I didn't like.

Maybe it's the Dragon Quest VIII effect, as  you specified. I was shocked at how much better that game is after playing it. I was late to the party with Dragon Quest VIII (didn't play it for the first time until a few years ago) and it's such a grand and superior game.

To be honest, I have interest in Dragon Quest X at all (I hate the idea of having to pay for a constant online service built into the game just to play it). It really seems as if this series may have peaked with Dragon Quest VIII. Simply nothing has looked as impressive since. Even X, with its graphics, doesn't seem as appealing because it seems like a generic World of Warcraft knockoff. XI has me excited, though. I hope that XI finally brings party talk back into the series.

• Upvote 1

Pft, it's a lot more than the post game content that's the problem.

Is that what it is, then? The post game content? Seems like every single conversation I've read regarding DQIX involves complaints about trying to unlock some grotto or quest post game, finding the elements, etc. Is that what it is? Everyone is angry about the post game content?

No that's just one issue. A minor one too because it's completely optional.

Now, I supported the franchise being on the DS. So it not being DQ8 really was not the issue.

The story let me down, it felt like a reinterpretation of IV. The music was OK, nothing remarkable though. The gameplay is solid, but I never really got the whole chain attack thing... you couldn't really build strategy around it and it became something that seemed tacked on. Flight being post-game only I found odd, too. And once again, oh man did the "hey go fight metal slimes with sticks" to unlock classes was... weird.

It feels like a weak entry. Like it was made to fill some kind of contractual obligations (this happens in music... and you get less than stellar albums). Just because it was on the DS doesn't mean it couldn't have had the all around quality that 8 had, visuals aside.

I mean, I'd still give it like a 7/10. It's just a weaker entry in the franchise. Is it the most disappointing? Nah. That probably goes to the VI DS remake. That one completely got rid of the darker atmosphere of the SFC original that made VI feel so unique.

Edited by Fates

OK, I'll list what I don't like:

-I don't like how the party is generic. I liked in in DQIII because it was a product of its time and that's OK. But after the personality was injected into the parties in IV and beyond, I would expect only that and nothing less for all future installments.

-Stella was annoying. This is a complaint that I will gladly agree with.

-Story mode too short. The game feels smaller than even DQIII and that disappointed me.

-Story is definitely uninspired and boring. That I'll give you.

-I'll admit that those weird "find me a sprig of spring" quests were annoying.

-I didn't care about the characters. I felt nothing when the hero's mentor died.

-I'll admit that I didn't like how the main hero didn't really have an identity. He's just one of those "build your own hero" sort of things.

-I don't think it's a bad game, though. On its own merits, it's decent. As a Dragon Quest installment, it's definitely weaker than any other entry.

Well...after reading through my list, I guess I can understand the hate more, heh heh!

I mean I don't hate the game... hate's a strong word lol. Don't let people's opinions sway yours :)

I played through it and enjoyed it. If it weren't for the class unlock quests, I probably would have replayed. Just a weak entry in the series.

As far as IX's influence on VIII remake... there are definite elements from IX being carried over. Armor doesn't reflect but classes change appearance. Enemies appear on screen, too.

The flak is deserved for IX.

Blah blah.

:P

I guess we could refer to the VII remake as "Dragon Quest IX done right" then. :P

Nah--no one's opinion can sway mine. I can better understand now after this conversation why it's hated but I can't help but like it. It still has that Dragon Quest...magic as far as I'm concerned. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

You've pretty much captured my feelings on the game. I still like it, but it's very low on my list.

I'm just giving ole Yangus a hard time, I accept he doesn't like the game.

It's personally one of my favorites, but I can see it's not for everyone.

• Upvote 1

DQ9's story uninspired and boring?  I can't agree with that.  I found the story compelling, unique, distinct, tragic, and with a few fun twists.  Maybe anticlimactic, but I still like how the ending worked out.

I really don't feel like articulating this time around.

By "uninspired" I was referring to the Observatory. It is very similar to Zenithia. Even its nature and purpose are reminiscent of Zenithia and even the sky fanes from Dragon Quest VII.

I liked the angel from Heaven losing its wings concept of it as well as the hero having to make peace with becoming human in the end--I just felt that it was a bit a of a rehash of Zenithia in many ways.

By "boring" I meant that we really don't delve much into that Observatory aspect. We have Stella as the narrator while all the potentially interesting entities (Apus Major, the god of the world, etc) are barely touched upon. I DID find the idea behind the story compelling--I wanted MORE of it. I hated how so much of that aspect was swept under the rug as soon as you beat Corvus. The story had potential but I feel that it was restrained and never really explored in the manner that it should have. Look how much more we know about Zenithia than we do the Observatory.

What really would have been more interesting (in my opinion) is if Dragon Quest IX was somehow revealed to be a prequel to the entire series. There are elements there that could have made such a revelation work.

I'm not sure how you can classify that as uninspired simply because they're both observatories.  That's rather limiting in the number of various ways you can have overseers present in the physical world, since you're saying that two completely distinct versions of the same thing is somehow lacking in uniqueness.  What do you want, space aliens in space?  Flying balls of goo or spiritual balls of light that fly down and then appear human only when seen by humans?  In the sky, they live in space...on the sun, on venus?  Maybe in the Earth?

It's not much of a rehash from Zenithia, since that was never actually done in the previous games.  It's still a unique take on a similar concept.  So I can't say I agree.  In virtually every way shape and form it is distinct.  Their form, their function directly, how much interaction, the nature of the Observatory takes elements from both 4/5 and 6 sure, but it is more closely tied to Christian/Zoroastrian/Jewish/Western overtones, while 4/5 and 6 are very closely tied to eastern philosophy on the nature of overseers/watchers.

• Upvote 1

Dragon Quest IX is still a good game.  My issue with it is due to the custom characters you lose a LOT of the character development you usually get in a Dragon Quest game and the villain isn't a strong enough of a personality to make up for that.

• Upvote 1

I agree. What's frustrating, too, is that you meet many characters along the way full of personality who really SHOULD be your party members but end up just being townspeople in need. What a shame.

• Upvote 1

I was neutral on IX. I was never anticipating Dragon Quest games when it came out here so there wasn't the sense of disappointment that a lot of people who were long-time fans felt. I like elements of it. The music, like Yangus, mentioned is pretty good, I like the antagonist, character customization was a nice experiment, I'm the only person on this board I'm sure that liked Stella, monsters appearing on the map instead of random encounters was nice.

I can't really say I liked any of the locations, and the whole post-game is a horrible grindfest. Back when I could play games for hours and hours on end that was fine, but I don't have time in the day right now to devote to mindless Liquid Metal Slime hunting unless I really need to to beat the game, which isn't an issue you deal with in post-game obviously.

But on the subject of the remake looking like IX, it's most likely a matter of uniformity. Some of the stuff that we've seen from the 3DS XI has that aesthetic and so did X. In fact, when X was first announced, I almost thought it was a sequel somehow to IX. It's probably the stylistic approach for handheld games going forward.

I think most folks didn't like the plot of IX and perhaps because the graphics and sound were a step down from VIII.

I appreciate IX for its versatility, mainly the large post-game, full cosplay support, local multiplayer and seemingly infinite grotto system.  The plot was pretty heavily influenced by Paradise Lost, and I don't really think party chat makes or breaks a DQ game, so I didn't mind it missing.  Party chat in DQIX is finding 3 people to play it with, which I understand can be difficult if you don't live in a city, and don't have local DQ fan friends.  That's one way I can justify people disliking IX, in that there's much of the game many don't get to experience.

I also played through and beat IX before I've played through and beat VIII (I only played through as far as acquiring Angelo in the PS2 version, back in 2005.)  So now that I'm giving VIII a full play-through on mobile, I'm finding both things I like better in VIII (graphics, animation, character development) and things I like better in IX (like fully supported cosplay for a unique design-your-own-character feel, the versatility to have any character be omnivocational in a weapon tree, and an easier accrument of skill points via vocation changing.)

Edited by Liamland

Nah, I liked Stella too.

But she was quirky, funny, $#!&@y, yes, but she definitely added to the world and the game itself.

Edited by Tiael
  • Upvote 1