Sign in to follow this  
Mimas

Trip Report: Dragon Quest Spectacular Tour & Museum

I got back from my trip to Japan last Friday (July 29). Other than Dragon Quest, this trip I went to Shikoku, Kyushuu (Checked out Haus Ten Bosch), Osaka (Universal Studios Japan), and Tokyo (Disneysea, original Yoshinoya). Obviously though, the thing people on this site are probably the most interested in though was the Dragon Quest Spectacular Tour and the Dragon Quest Museum.

While both debuted on the same day, I went to the show first (July 22, opening night) and the museum on the 23rd.

fGiXX29.jpg

The Spectacle Show started out in Saitama, which is about a one hour train trip from Tokyo.

t2XplrA.jpg

I got there about an hour before the doors were supposed to open, planing to get dinner and then line up to enter. This was a bad plan. I was expecting that they would sell Dragon Quest merchandise within the Saitama Arena itself, and you would only be able to buy once you got in. This is not the case. They were already selling things by the time I arrived. By the time I made it to the front of the line for merchandise they were already sold out of many of the items, including the shirts in any size smaller than large.

lohvqh0.jpg

Outside they were also selling shaved ice in commemorative plastic Slime Tower cups (Slime Stacks). They only have two flavors, Mango and Strawberry. I did not eat one myself (but did pay to have the cup) but heard that unlike good shaved ice it was hard like a snow ball. The shaved ice was in a cup in the slime cup, so it was easily removed and the slime itself was perfectly clean.

tVkUSYN.jpg

^Where the Shaved Ice was sold

qFW9GnX.jpg

^Sign for Shaved Ice.

mPuBa0a.jpg

^Cosplayer

xE6kZgY.jpg

^Cosplayer entertaining people while we line up to get in.

6zitYAw.jpg

McXPDte.jpg

^Statues near the entrance.

After I picked up what I could from the store it was about time for the doors to be opening soon. The place was flooded with people. Many who you could tell had been to the museum earlier in the day.

LJSux4w.jpg

Upon entering there was a large row of flowers for the performers sent to them by various people and groups.

There was some expensive non-Dragon Quest food that could be bought in the Arena but I did not want to miss anything, so I just went hungry. There was a long line for both the men's and women's restrooms, so I would suggest that if you go to go before you go.

On every seat there was a wrist band with a large light attached to it. You are supposed to wear it during the show and then put it back when it is over. There was some security walking around telling people that you were not to record any part of the performance. I took a picture of the stage on my cellphone before the show started though to give you guys an idea of what the stage was like.

Svve6qu.jpg

The stage is surrounded at each side by the seating with branches that reach out to the seating. It is from these branches that characters and enemies often emerge. My seat was near where key characters would often emerge. That meant that I mostly always saw their backs. There was some seating on the ground, which had some interaction with the characters, but I have doubts on how well they could see the stage in general. There were large rectangular curtains hanging from the ceiling that formed a cross centering the stage. These could be raised or lowered and were used for projecting background and effects.

At the start of the show there were two merchants at either end of the stage that told jokes. They also told the audience how to do the Torneko Shorts dance (Underpants Dance). You could by a washrag that looked like them that they wanted you to use for the dance, but they said if you had not purchased it that you could use a hat instead. We were told that in the performance Torneko would request of us to do the dance with him.

Torneko made a brief appearance then, telling a few jokes with audience participation before the show started up.

Putting the story in spoiler tags.

It has been over a week now, so I might have some small errors in the order of some of the events and details.

The show started up introducing the main characters from the various Dragon Quest games excluding 3. They then stood around as a fight started with Ortega and King Hydra. Watching is Ortega's wife and young son. After Ortega's defeat the young son (the hero) is surrounded by all of the other hero's and the narration voice then asks "What is your name?". He then emerges as an adult and the other hero's leave. The scene transitions to the hero meeting with the King who tells him that he is commanding him as he asked to go and defeat the evil Baramos. At the next scene we see a village that is suffering from a monster attack. Alena starts up fighting the monsters and is soon followed by Terry, Yangus, and then Panon who all are introduced through their fighting (or in Panon's case his very bad jokes).

After they defeat the monsters we find out that they all are together because they were summoned to this world after a voice asked them their name and they replied. Alena is also looking for Clift who she is worried about. We also find out then they also have managed to get most of the orbs already, and they talk about their journey up to now which brings on a sort of "dance" scene with the queen of Isis and the queen of Japang coming out and some pole dancers or silk climbers the side of the room.

If I recall correctly, when the performance is done we find out that the town is suffering from the King who is acting strange. The characters then go around asking questions from the audience until they figure out/ are told that the king is being impersonated by a monster and that they need the mirror of Rar to expose him. After some more battles they find the mirror though it is hanging from the ceiling. The hero does some wire walking and almost reaches it but can't quite (this part was a little hard to follow what was happening). The mirror though then falls to earth and they catch it and go back to the castle. They then prove that it is really the real thing with them doing audience participation where someone in the audience ends up having a monster in their heart. Now knowing that it works they are able to expose the king when he tries to capture them, but they are able to use the mirror to turn him into the Boss Troll, and some of his soldiers also turn in monsters. With all of them working together though they are able to defeat him.

We then find ourselves in a town (maybe the same one?) where Alena finds Crift. He expected to find her there since it is where the monster arena is. The two of them then enter a competition fighting against Berserkers. You then get the classic joke of Crift casting defeat until it works. I think this is also where we had to do the dance, but it might have been another one of these fights. After that Minea and Manya who are also there (and who Alena recognizes) do a dance and a fight (could be wrong about the fight part). Then Bianca and Flora come out and they are going to fight each other instead of monsters. After the fight starts off though Panon gains their anger and they both turn against him and then get together to go to a nice cafe to relax. Alena then has Torneko take Clift back home with him.

When it starts up again the king tells the hero where the lass orb is, which is a ghost ship, and he has to go all by himself. There is then a spooky fight scene with some more wire based acrobatics along with the ghosts on silks on the side of the stage. The hero is victorious of course. With all of the orbs now the hero and party meet up with the Dragon Queen and the two priestesses for Ramaia. Ramia is then summoned and the hero is lifted up by the puppet Ramia and carried to the side of the stage for intermission. (I swear the thing looked like a giant chicken, but the lady behind me kept on saying Sugoi! (Amazing) so I might have been the only person thinking that.

After intermission we get to the fight with Baramos, which ends with his defeat, and then the whole place collapses as Baramos tells him that this is not the end. They find themselves in a world where monsters are attacking villagers but the villagers lack hope. The heroes encourage them telling them that they will save the world and defeat Zoma who is the real Demon Lord. Encouraged, the villages then tell them about how to make the rainbow drops so that they can reach Zoma's castle. They then all split up and find the various artifacts needed to make the drops. They then go to the castle where we see Ortega fighting King Hydra. He is able to defeat him, but is so wounded that he cannot see and does not recognize the hero. He tells the hero that if he ever comes across his son to tell him he is sorry he failed. They then go to the Zoma's castle though I don't remember the exact point, maybe at the rainbow drops they got the ball of light from the Dragon Queen. The fight against Zoma goes bad, and they are losing even after using the ball of light (when the ball is used all of the arm bands shine white). The hero falls into disappear at all of his companions being incapacitated. It is then that all the hero's from the previous games pop up again and ask what his name is (there is more arm band lights during this whole thing). Across the curtains various names pop up and remembering his name the hero is now filled with courage again. With the power of the other heroes he is able to defeat Zoma. Everyone then comes out for a bow and the show ended. There was then a small part where some children from a local school came out and played DQ music as a band.

This video from the official promotion gives a pretty good look into what the show was like.

Edit: Added in the rest of the pictures. As there does not seem to be any interest in this write up I won't bother with one for the Museum.

Edited by Mimas

I want one of those slime tower cups. Cant seem to find any for sale anywhere. :(

I'm going later this month for the same stuff, yay! I love that you saw the first performance -- I have tickets for the last one! 8D I'm thinking I may just go to the arena the first day it's there to buy merchandise, since it seems to be selling out fast. That said, maybe after Saitama they learned to have more stock on hand at later shows, who knows??

Thank you for the write up,  :thumbsup:  it was a fun read, wish I could make it over there to see it. And for the photos. :)

I really want to make it over there sometime. Ive been fantasizing about seeing Luida's bar.

I really want to make it over there sometime. Ive been fantasizing about seeing Luida's bar.

Yeah. The "bar".

2a4df14b0503d8294dd4f56f4bf624bc.jpg

Eyes on the bar, eyes on the bar!

I want one of those slime tower cups. Cant seem to find any for sale anywhere.

http://page11.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/n180317413 Fornow I think you will only find them on Yahoo Auctions and you will need to pay a middle man for it (In the past I have used Celga).

I'm going later this month for the same stuff, yay! I love that you saw the first performance -- I have tickets for the last one! 8D I'm thinking I may just go to the arena the first day it's there to buy merchandise, since it seems to be selling out fast. That said, maybe after Saitama they learned to have more stock on hand at later shows, who knows??

Yeah, if you have the time in your schedule try going ahead of time. I could not believe that they could sell out day one, they have got to have more stock again by then. I bought the slime party t-shirt since it was soo cute even though it is too big, but at least it is a Japanese size large so it isn't quite nightgown size. I wanted the slime hero plush though and they were out of that, hopefully they are making more or only have a certain amount set aside for each show. Good luck shopping, and good luck in your seating.

I haven't been looking since I got home but they were updating the status of the goods sales on twitter @dq_lst

Pretty sure they were starting fresh each day w new set of items reserved for that day except for a few things that were entirely sold out (they had all size tshirts on 7/30 for example but there was a line of about 200 people when they opened the sales)

Too freaking cool. I've got exactly zero DQ swag. Within the next six months or so, I'll be turning my spare room into a nerd cave. I'd like to add DQ to my Decor in an elegant fashion.

• Upvote 1