Sign in to follow this  
Dark Slime

Best PC Game Controller?

I was starting the SNES version of Dragon Quest 6 yesterday for the first time ever, and 10 mins into the game my PC Controller stops working. Looks like I will need a new one, any suggestions?

Maybe this one?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002B9XB0E/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1/166-5522973-7116812?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_r=VJFJ9GKPNY309ZHZTCD3&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=1944687462&pf_rd_i=B00000JKMB#Ask

This is the one I was using. I have had it for probably 15 years, they dont make it anymore:

https://www.amazon.com/Kensington-Gravis-Gamepad-Pro-USB/dp/B00000K4TQ/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1469982757&sr=1-4&keywords=gravis+gamepad

I'm not sure what kind of controller you're looking for or what price range, but I fell head over heels for my Steam controller.

Maybe I should get a wireless one, but I am worried they wont work on Laptops.

My Gravis Gamepad worked fine on my Windows 7 Laptop for years. It was even fine yesterday while playing DQ6 until it stopped 10 mins into the game. Doesn't work on any other USB ports either.

I assumed it was the Laptop and plugged the Gamepad into my Windows 10 Desktop PC and my old Windows 7 Desktop and it worked fine on both. I have a new Windows 10 Laptop that I wanted to only use for work, but I just tried the controller on that Laptop and it does not work.

So for some reason the controller all the sudden does not work on any Laptops, but still works fine on Desktops. I really want to play emulators on Laptops so I can sit on the couch instead of a PC chair at my desk to play them.

• Upvote 1

A wireless controller won't operate any differently on a laptop opposed to a desktop. IF you get a wireless Xbox controller, you'll need one of the dongles to connect it as normal. And the Steam controller comes with its own really small USB dongle.

As for any "offbrand" controllers, I'm not certain as to how well made they are.

Go with an Xbox branded controller. Even if it's slightly offbrand (like Afterglow).

They work with pretty much -every $#!&ing PC game ever- and you might already have one, if you do, and it's a 360 controller, get an officially-branded charging cable, and it'll work as a USB controller.

I also (and it's old as $#!&) use a PSX controller, as in original non-Dualshock PSX, for some emulation purposes. But my cable for it came from Radio Shack. ^o^;

I used to love the Gravis Gamepad Pro, it was great for PS1 games back in the day.

Nowadays I almost exclusively use my Steam Controller for every game on my computer. (I only switch to a Wii Remote if I'm playing Wii games in Dolphin.)

I'm not sure what kind of controller you're looking for or what price range, but I fell head over heels for my Steam controller.

See, I've heard nothing but the total opposite of that from a lot of people.

I don't have much else to offer the conversation since I'm not much of a controller connoisseur. Cheapest, most functional controller works for me, so I just use a wired Xbox 360 controller.

• Upvote 2

I like that the Steam Controller can be configured however you want for each game.

Plus, the Gyro in the Steam Controller is good, it makes a better steering wheel for kart racers than the Wii Remote.

Edited by Erdrick The Hero

I heard it tried to be a Jack of Alltrades but ended up being a Master of Nu'un, mostly because of, ironically, the touchpad controls. Maybe it's just the critics that thought that. I don't care enough about controllers or upgrading my standard 360 one to get anything else so I didn't really look at anything other than professional reviews. So long as a buyer's happy that's all that really matters.

• Upvote 1

I heard it tried to be a Jack of Alltrades but ended up being a Master of Nu'un, mostly because of, ironically, the touchpad controls. Maybe it's just the critics that thought that. I don't care enough about controllers or upgrading my standard 360 one to get anything else so I didn't really look at anything other than professional reviews. So long as a buyer's happy that's all that really matters.

Anyone who says that it's a master of none likely hasn't tinkered with the customization. There are just too many possibilities for it ever be classified as such. Now there are some games you will just want to play with joysticks, but these touchpads are shockingly easy to use. And I'm somebody who hates touch controls in any game. The only time the touchpads suck is when they're used to emulate joysticks. They aren't that great at that.

Sent from my Nexus 6

PS3 controllers can be used with XInput games.

It isn't hard to set up at all. You got a bluetooth dongle? Wireless. I think they're like $20, the bluetooth dongles.

Edited by Kirk

Actually, if you -really- like the feel of the controller, the XB1 controller can be customized and ordered online, works with Windows 10 and Steam via bluetooth.

Wait, XB1 controllers work with Bluetooth?  I may have to get me one of those.  I've heard so much love and hate for the Steam controllers that I don't know what to believe.  I definitely WANT to like the Steam controller, though.

I buy adapters for console controllers. I played through Ys 1 & 2 Chronicles on Steam with an SNES controller, and the games surprisingly supported them. I have a 360 SFIV Fight pad that I use mostly, and a 360 controller for stuff that doesn't support my other controllers.

(Video Ball supports PS4 controllers by USB on Steam)

I primarily use the Dualshock 4 when playing PC games that I feel should use a controller.  To make it work in games that require xinput I use inputmapper.