What Game got you into gaming

Sesame Street on NES. Followed by Super Mario Bros. 3, McKids, Gumshoe, Bible Buffet, and a couple sports games, one soccer, the other baseball. My Mom claims she also got me Frogger, but my memories of those days are too muggy to confirm this.

The Kings Quest series on my IBM PCjr had a big impact on me as well, but that was a few years later. Had a couple Atari's in between there (2600, 5200). For one of my Atari's I remember having this large cartridge that you played cassette tapes into via headphone cable to play the game (Yar's Revenge I think was one of them). My neighbor had an Odyssey (Pick Axe Pete I remember, and some snake game).

My parents had a Commodore 64 and an Atari 2600 when I was born in 1981. We had a ton of games for both of them since they were so cheap and you could pirate Commodore 64 games easily enough. We had some cousins down the road that also had a Commodore 64, so we would "share" games. I have always loved video games from those games, to Arcade machines, to Tiger LCD games, to Gameboy games, to NES games, to Genesis, and onward. I can't tell you one particular game that has enthralled me because there have literally been dozens of games that I have loved playing over the past 30+ years. 

All of you guys talking about Atari 2600 and NES games make me feel young. The first console I ever got was a GameCube bundled with The Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition around Christmas 2003 (age 6), if I had to guess.

You are 20-21, you are young. Go out and have some fun, but stay off my lawn!

Sesame Street on NES. Followed by Super Mario Bros. 3, McKids, Gumshoe, Bible Buffet, and a couple sports games, one soccer, the other baseball. My Mom claims she also got me Frogger, but my memories of those days are too muggy to confirm this.

That reminds me. I played California games on the NES like crazy growing up

All of you guys talking about Atari 2600 and NES games make me feel young. The first console I ever got was a GameCube bundled with The Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition around Christmas 2003 (age 6), if I had to guess.

My first Nintendo-developed game besides Zelda was Mario Kart: Double Dash!!, for which I still have my original save file with the golden Parade Kart unlocked. My brother and I didn't know that you were supposed to enter your initials when you set a record in a Grand Prix or Time Trial, so the majority of the "initials" were whatever 3 letter word we could think of at the time.

That makes you 10 years younger than me!

When it comes to 3 letter initials, I usually put in Wes instead of WLO

My parents had a Commodore 64 and an Atari 2600 when I was born in 1981. We had a ton of games for both of them since they were so cheap and you could pirate Commodore 64 games easily enough. We had some cousins down the road that also had a Commodore 64, so we would "share" games. I have always loved video games from those games, to Arcade machines, to Tiger LCD games, to Gameboy games, to NES games, to Genesis, and onward. I can't tell you one particular game that has enthralled me because there have literally been dozens of games that I have loved playing over the past 30+ years. 

You are 20-21, you are young. Go out and have some fun, but stay off my lawn!

And don't go in that cave! You don't know whats in there!

Ahh, money well spent

The Kings Quest series on my IBM PCjr had a big impact on me as well, but that was a few years later. Had a couple Atari's in between there (2600, 5200). For one of my Atari's I remember having this large cartridge that you played cassette tapes into via headphone cable to play the game (Yar's Revenge I think was one of them). My neighbor had an Odyssey (Pick Axe Pete I remember, and some snake game).

I remember those tapes. There was a pirate radio station that would play the tapes so you could record the game to your own cassette tape and play the game that way.

Ooh, pirate radio that carried those, that is pretty cool, didn't know about that.

• 4 weeks later...

I was pretty young in the early/mid '80s, but my older brother had a computer and an Atari 2600.  The original King's Quest and Ultima had a big impact on me then, even though I barely understood what was going on.  It wasn't until a few years later when I got my own NES that I truly fell in love with gaming.  Those golden, first-generation NES games are what set me on the path that I still walk today.

Sonic the Hedgehog. I had a Genesis before anything else, and had both Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 for it. Man, those were some amazing times.

I'd have to say Ghostbusters & Temple of Apshi on the Commodore 64.

I'd had some Buck Rogers game for the TRS-80 and fooled around with a bunch of Atari games, but those 2 were the ones I'd put on and play for hours, long before I heard of Mario.

• 1 month later...

I think the earliest game I remember playing, was in a local mall's video arcade.  It was the sit-down console of Spy Hunter.  As a kid, I was a HUGE fan of Knight Rider, and so a game where you got to drive a spy car (whether it spoke or not) was totally up my alley.  I did not play well, but it was a fine gateway into the arcade scene.

• Upvote 1

I don't remember what the very first game I ever played was, I don't even think I have one specific game that really got me into gaming. But I do remember a set of games from around that time. I remember playing some snes games when my family went to visit a friend's house. I specifically remember something about spaceships. I was very young. The first console I ever owned was the ps1. I do remember playing a bugs bunny game, croc, final fantasy 9, tekken 2, rayman 1 and 2 and resident evil 1. never got far in any of them, and I was just running around in the first stages of the games. The console and the games came from a friend of my mother. I remember Resident evil 1 giving me nightmares at the time. But my fondest and clearest early gaming memories didn't come until I got my ps2. So many games, so much nostalgia. I have to admit, a lot of my past is a bit of a blur to me. But I do remember that being the time gaming stopped being a casual thing for me. jak and daxter being one of the first games I owned on it. kingdom hearts is a series I got day one, which also really stuck with me. Final fantasy X was an early one. Dark cloud. I could go on.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

We had a ColecoVision with the Atari adapter, but the first video game I ever remember playing was The Smurfs, for ColecoVision.  I also enjoyed Mouse Trap.  It was kind of a Pac-Man styled game where you were the mouse and you had to close trap doors to keep the cat(s) from getting you while you acquired pieces of cheese.  That was one of my favorite games in the early '80s, as a kid.

Mouse_Trap_COL_ScreenShot3.gif

Edited by Liamland

I mentioned on the first page that the first game I owned was a Rugrats game. When I saw people talking in his topic again I dug it up. It's called Castle Capers. It's actually quite bad. I can't believe THQ still made games with a password saving system in the GBA days.

My first game was Super Mario Bros. and Duck Hunt. I first played the games when I was about 5 years old, and at that time Super Nintendo was all over in the market. Growing up, I pretty much progressed through all the good NES games and got caught up on several SNES games before the N64 was released.

I also did play Dragon Warrior at about the same age too. But being so young, I didn't know what I was doing at all in the game. I had fun just exploring towns and cities.

• 5 months later...

If I had to pick, I would say it was the Intellivision my family use to own. Every couple months, my parents would take us to the toy store and buy a new game for it. Up until it broke, we had about 12-15 games.

Pokémon Crystal. I learned how to read playing that game. I'd hear crazy names spoken in the anime then see it written out in the game, so I'm pronouncing words like Gyarados and Pikachu at like age 6.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

I started with an Atari on a black and white tv. I liked Pitfall and Frogger. Soon after, we got an NES, and played a lot of Mystery Quest, and Turtles (not the arcade one, the one where you disarm the bombs in the lake early on).

My older brother visited us, and brought a Super Nintendo. He had a carrying case for it, and we played Super Mario World like crazy.

My Dad and I rented Donkey Kong Country 2 for two days, but we ended up keeping it a full week, and had to pay late fees.

Then I started renting Breath of Fire 2. I played it like crazy, and I read Ben Siron's manual on Gamefaqs (about 6000 lines of text).

So, I'd say DKC 2 and BoF2 were the point where I was a true gamer. I played those games for days at a time, and that's the point where I started looking up help so I could learn everything about certain games.