What Game got you into gaming

When I started playing video games, I liked it but I didn't really realize how great games can be. When I was like 6 I would buy whatever game at the store without really thinking about it, this lead to me regrettably buying a lot of shovelware and licensed games, I enjoyed Mario but outside of that I had never really played a non licensed game, however that all changed when I bought this little game called Pokemon, before I bought that game I hadn't played a game in a year, I played it through the whole night and day until I beat it, really if it wasn't for that game I don't think I'd be the gamer I am today, that was the first time I realized just how great a game could be, through Pokemon I became a big Nintendo fan which eventually led me to discover Zelda, which led me to discover Dragon Quest, which led me to discover Final Fantasy, which well you get the point.

So do any of you have a game like that, that got you really into video games, or were you always a huge game fan from day one.

My parents had an Atari that they borrowed from my aunt, it was a 2600 and they had Frogger. I loved playing Frogger. It introduced me to gaming and I played the Atari for several years in the 80s until my parents got an NES. That same aunt bought me a copy of Final Fantasy, but I was too young to really understand a complex RPG like that at the time, so my dad played it as I watched him. That was what really got me into video games. 

Original Pong home console, good times ;)

• Upvote 1

I'm trying to organize my memories to figure it out. I remember watching the Pokémon anime and then being shocked to find out that it's also a video game and getting in that way. I wanted a Gameboy specifically for Pokémon, and my friend letting me play his copy of Pokémon Red or Blue for whatever reason for a few minutes was my first actual hands-on introduction to games. At least I think so because I remember us having a PS1 and playing games on that, particularly that hype-ass Spider-Man game. But I don't remember any jarring "whoa, this is a video game. What am I doing?" feeling when it comes to the PS1 so that first exposure to the Pokémon games has to be it, even if it wasn't the first game I played on my GBA. That would be a Rugrats game that I still have. Regardless of what came first, Pokémon was the catalyst. I even remember going to the Walmart and buying Crystal. The Pokémon game not the meth, though I'm sure you could also get that there in the parking lot.

The one with the controllers wired to the system and took about 4 D-Cell batteries to operate?

I remember an ultra pong system.

The one with the controllers wired to the system and took about 4 D-Cell batteries to operate?

I know the controllers were wired, but I don't remember what powered it

Super Mario World when I was 3 years old. I vaguely remember what all happened, but I do know this: I was at my grandparents, and went exploring around the house. I found a Super Nintendo in the basement plugged into a TV, and next thing I know I was greeted by that familiar title screen music. I never could figure out how to get past Vanilla Dome 1 (if I was even lucky enough to get past Morton's Castle!) but that was the first game I remember playing. It's crazy playing that game nowadays since I can breeze through Super Mario World no problem, but whenever I play certain levels I remember how happy I was when I heard that end of level jingle. I hope when I have kids someday, they'll have the same experience (and hopefully with Super Mario World as well!).

Ever since, I've been a lifelong Mario fan.

Also, quick fun fact: I was born on the same day as Super Mario All-Stars released here in the U.S. (August 2nd, 1993). When I found that out, I knew I was born a Mario fan.

• Upvote 1

I know the controllers were wired, but I don't remember what powered it

This is the one I played a bunch of:

bdf93bd9da3c51682988dfc92af22f42.jpg

I am sure most people had this one though:

Atari_Super_Pong.jpg

I even remember going to the Walmart and buying Crystal. The Pokémon game not the meth, though I'm sure you could also get that there in the parking

Jeez Eal what kinda Wal-Mart did you go to, are you sure you weren't at my local park?

• Upvote 1

The Nintendo was the newest thing, and I was a little kid who was interested in it from the commercials.  So my mum went out and bought one for Christmas.  I don't recall my age.  I was maybe 7?  In preschool anyhow.  Mario and Duckhunt, the pack-in...I was hooked.  My best friend at the time had an Atari 2600, so it was my apartment (we were living in New York City at the time) that saw the most time spent in.

Edited by ignasia7

I even remember going to the Walmart and buying Crystal. The Pokémon game not the meth, though I'm sure you could also get that there in the parking

Jeez Eal what kinda Wal-Mart did you go to, are you sure you weren't at my local park?

It's just hyperbole. This Walmart in particular was actually the nicest I've been to. It's just a joke about Walmarts. That being said, a co-worker told me they went to a Walmart where there was just a gun lying on the crowd. Just lying there. No reaction from anybody.

My mom was a big gamer, and she had her Atari 2600, NES and SNES by the time I was born and I grew up with it. The first memory of gaming was Super Mario 1

I had seen someone playing Legend of Zelda during a family trip when I was ... 6? 7 maybe? Coulda been 5, Idk.

Also something called uh, I can't remember the name of it but it was a left-to-right autoscroller where you're a car that has to avoid obstacles, and it ends with the car door opening and a tornado comes out of the car and ...I don't remember what happens.

Anyway, fast forward a year or so, and my sisters ask my mom and dad to go to a local video rental shop and rent a Nintendo. I guess we just got the Super Mario Duck Hunt combo.

The rest, as they say, is history. My sisters were playing it, and I was just looking at it like, "Wow shiny." Eventually they let me play a bit, but I couldn't have been any good at it at that point.

Videogaming has been a major part of my life ever since. It's what got me into music, in fact, cuz I couldn't stop whistling and humming those catchy NES chiptunes all the time, which are pitch corrected by computers, and tempo regulated by computers. I believe this is where my sense of pitch and rhythm comes from. I wouldn't have been as interested in getting good at music if I hadn't wanted to reproduce those tunes as a kid.

When I finally got my own NES, the first game I got (outside the pack-in) was Double Dragon.

And suddenly, the difficulty of gaming hit me very very hard. I was blown out of the water by how white knuckle gut poundingly hard that game was. It was, I remind you, the second NES game I'd ever had the pleasure of owning. And the next game I got turned out to be even harder; it was Ninja Gaiden 2.

Something weird happened at that point, though...my mom, as she had been about Skeletor and Mumm Ra before, was worried that Ashtar was too demonic for a child's game. I did my best to explain to her that it just made me want to beat him more, but she still sort of pulled the Marge Simpson groan and wrung her hands about it for a long time.

I don't recall how my video game collection progressed after that, just that it was pretty much dominated by Mario up to the time I finally discovered RPGs, which I jumped right on board with. Got Final Fantasy for Christmas one year, and loved it to death. Beat it in a month, in fact. Don't recall how I ended up in Alefgard, though I do remember playing Dragon Quest 1 at a friend's house at a certain point after Final Fantasy was introduced to me.

Anyway, now that I'm in Alefgard, I may as well start going around playing my Silver Harp and founding villages.

I think it'd have to be a Buck Rogers game on the old TRS-80. It was on a tape player you plugged in.

After that it was Commodore 64. Top games were Ghostbusters (by far), then a bowling and golf game. The bowling game I had down to a pixel where to place it. I'd play 8 games at a time and usually get 3-5 300s. There was a randomness that kept it from being 100% strikes. Also, loved a game called Temple of Apshi for Commodore.

After those I got a used Atari and like 20 games. Had fun, yet not memorable times with it.

Finally got a NES when the SNES came out and soon got DW. Bionic Commander was my favorite for a long time, but DW and then Tecmo Bowl became my favorites.

It's just hyperbole. This Walmart in particular was actually the nicest I've been to. It's just a joke about Walmarts. That being said, a co-worker told me they went to a Walmart where there was just a gun lying on the crowd. Just lying there. No reaction from anybody.
Walmart sells guns.

Walmarts are dirty, stock lying around everywhere.

Thus, gun on ground = no reaction.

So you do know what hyperboles are.

I think it'd have to be a Buck Rogers game on the old TRS-80. It was on a tape player you plugged in.

After that it was Commodore 64. Top games were Ghostbusters (by far), then a bowling and golf game. The bowling game I had down to a pixel where to place it. I'd play 8 games at a time and usually get 3-5 300s. There was a randomness that kept it from being 100% strikes. Also, loved a game called Temple of Apshi for Commodore.

After those I got a used Atari and like 20 games. Had fun, yet not memorable times with it.

Finally got a NES when the SNES came out and soon got DW. Bionic Commander was my favorite for a long time, but DW and then Tecmo Bowl became my favorites.

Walmart sells guns.

Cleary this means we should abolish the 2nd amendment, cleary.

Half my posts are overblown hyperbole.

Half your posts are a town in Zelda?
  • Upvote 1

My favorite game as a little kid was Pitfall on the Atari. I also played Frogger quite a bit.

I was very hooked on Super Mario World when it came out. Then we got hooked on Donkey Kong Country.

The first RPG I got hooked on was Breath of Fire 2 for the SNES. I was probably about 8 or 9 when I first got hooked. I've been playing it off and on for over 10 years now. I even read Ben Siren's entire manual on Gamefaqs, even though some of the formulas were described using college level math.

I remember renting Chrono Trigger around that age, and getting stuck in the future factory. I loved that game, but for some reason didn't rent it again.

My Dad and I rented Donkey Kong Country 2 for two days at the video store. We kept it for 7 days and paid the late fees! We both LOVED that game.

One last shout out to Super Nintendo is Super Metroid. Both my Dad and I played that game a ton.

I got Pokemon Red a few months after it came out and got hooked. I loved the glitches in the game most of all.

When DWM came out, I played it even more than Pokemon. My game clock maxed out (99:59) long before I stopped playing it. I have a folder of loose leaf papers in my room filled with breeding charts, boss monster info (some auto-join, some require meat, and some won't join), skills, etc... I like the DWM games more than Joker, so it has truly stood the test of time.

For GBA, I was hooked on Golden Sun, and Megaman Battle Network games.

For N64, I played GoldenEye, OoT, Smash Bros, and Perfect Dark. Oh, and Silicon Valley.

So, if I had to pick some, I would say DKC 2, BoF2, and Super Metroid really got me into gaming. I was only 8 or so, and those SNES games got me totally hooked.

I'm trying to organize my memories to figure it out. I remember watching the Pokémon anime and then being shocked to find out that it's also a video game and getting in that way. I wanted a Gameboy specifically for Pokémon, and my friend letting me play his copy of Pokémon Red or Blue for whatever reason for a few minutes was my first actual hands-on introduction to games. At least I think so because I remember us having a PS1 and playing games on that, particularly that hype-ass Spider-Man game. But I don't remember any jarring "whoa, this is a video game. What am I doing?" feeling when it comes to the PS1 so that first exposure to the Pokémon games has to be it, even if it wasn't the first game I played on my GBA. That would be a Rugrats game that I still have. Regardless of what came first, Pokémon was the catalyst. I even remember going to the Walmart and buying Crystal. The Pokémon game not the meth, though I'm sure you could also get that there in the parking lot.

I got two copies of Crystal about 3 years ago, about a week apart!

Fortunately, the battery replacement went well. I still keep my file backed up on a Memory Card, because I don't know how long the battery will last.

Walmart sells guns.

Not in Massachusetts. We have strict gun laws and businesses need to jump through hoops to be able to become a gun dealer, so I don't think a single Walmart in the state sells guns, just ones of the air and pellet variety. And ammo. But that's about it.

• Upvote 1

Ah, in Florida it's all batshit crazy. Take your hunting rifle and Bud Light and go through the self checkout aisle.

Oh wait, that's ridiculous.

Keystone Light & handgun. Duh.

All of you guys talking about Atari 2600 and NES games make me feel young. The first console I ever got was a GameCube bundled with The Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition around Christmas 2003 (age 6), if I had to guess.

I played the original Zelda and the demo of Wind Waker on it for a short while before I got killed very quickly on NES or the 20 minute time limit on the demo ended. Seriously thought Toon Link was a girl all those years ago, by the way. I didn't revisit the disc or the series until I was about 11 with Majora's Mask.

The first game that I played a lot was Finding Nemo on GameCube, believe it or not. Blame my parents at the time for not knowing to not buy licensed games. I distinctly remember how playing the game eventually led to me having to wear glasses from age 7 onwards, and I didn't bother to beat the game until years later.

My first Nintendo-developed game besides Zelda was Mario Kart: Double Dash!!, for which I still have my original save file with the golden Parade Kart unlocked. My brother and I didn't know that you were supposed to enter your initials when you set a record in a Grand Prix or Time Trial, so the majority of the "initials" were whatever 3 letter word we could think of at the time.

GameCube was the very first system I bought and paid for myself. I saw an ad for $100 GameCube bundled with Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness, and I happened to want both that game and Pokémon Colosseum (notice a pattern here?) so I did yard work for money and bought it just in time for Christmas and got a bunch of GameCube games as gifts. Well, aside from Dragon Quest VIII.   

All of you guys talking about Atari 2600 and NES games make me feel young. The first console I ever got was a GameCube bundled with The Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition around Christmas 2003 (age 6), if I had to guess.

Nothing wrong with that. But in 2003 when you were 6, I was graduating high school. :P

Ah, in Florida it's all batshit crazy. Take your hunting rifle and Bud Light and go through the self checkout aisle.

Oh wait, that's ridiculous.

Keystone Light & handgun. Duh.

good ol' keystone.

Around here, we had a dude that everyone would see that would buy ammo and a 30-pack of Milwaukee's Best. Once a week. 

It takes me over a week to go through a 12 pack, but this guy was such an alcoholic he was doing that in a week or under. I wouldn't be surprised if he was supplementing liquor in with that.

Edited by Bururian