Sign in to follow this  
Dakhil

What type of soundtrack do you think Dragon Quest VIII will feature?

How is it "lol" worthy?

Fun fact: That direct is nearly a year old.

I could be wrong, but I think Fate is saying "lol" to the fact that I'm so worked up that the western version of Dragon Quest VIII will have a synthesised MIDI soundtrack instead of an orchestrated soundtrack.

No it was not directed at you or anyone or thing in particular. Just kind of my way of putting a nonchalant shrug in message form.

Trust me, I'm disappointed in the news but I am used to the BS and I'm just happy the game's coming out here and DQ is getting another shot in North America. Don't have to agree with me or anything that's just how I feel.

How is it "lol" worthy?

Fun fact: That direct is nearly a year old.

I could be wrong, but I think Fate is saying "lol" to the fact that I'm so worked up that the western version of Dragon Quest VIII will have a synthesised MIDI soundtrack instead of an orchestrated soundtrack.

No it was not directed at you or anyone or thing in particular. Just kind of my way of putting a nonchalant shrug in message form.

Trust me, I'm disappointed in the news but I am used to the BS and I'm just happy the game's coming out here and DQ is getting another shot in North America. Don't have to agree with me or anything that's just how I feel.

Ah ok, that makes sense. :) My apologies for talking s**t about you.

Dang and I was just now listening to Strange World Marching Through The Fields and praying to Numen this was the version we got.

Dang and I was just now listening to Strange World Marching Through The Fields and praying to Numen this was the version we got.

Wrong game. Pray to the Goddess.

Wrong game. Pray to the Goddess.
That must be why it didn't work!
  • Upvote 1

Pardon me for sounding dramatic, but I'll be really bummed out if they don't include orchestrated music for the US DQVIII. DQVIII's one of my favorite games in the series, and its best attribute is the wonderful, grand atmosphere it had. The excellent visuals, voices, and music all contributed to that, and listening to the original (JPN) OST really leaves something to be desired for me. I don't mind it as much in DQVII since the original didn't have it, but it missing in VIII is almost enough of a reason for me to reconsider getting it.

After all, I can experience the game with better visuals and orchestrated music on my PS2 right now...at some point, the quality-of-life features are going to outweigh stuff like no random battles and two extra characters...

I don't mind it as much in DQVII since the original didn't have it

Quote of 95% of Den users about the music in the international version of 7.

It's such a let down that after 3 and half years of waiting, the one thing I was really excited about in the remake was stripped away for the English release of 7 3DS.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

After all, I can experience the game with better visuals and orchestrated music on my PS2 right now...at some point, the quality-of-life features are going to outweigh stuff like no random battles and two extra characters...

I want the orchestrated music to be there too, but I won't let it stop me from buying the game. Portability is a big bonus to me, especially when my PS2 is chilling in storage, and I don't feel like dragging it out.

I don't mind it as much in DQVII since the original didn't have it

Quote of 95% of Den users about the music in the international version of 7.

It's such a let down that after 3 and half years of waiting, the one thing I was really excited about in the remake was stripped away for the English release of 7 3DS.

Could always pick up the soundtrack. That's what I did.

And to clarify, it's not so much "don't mind", I do mind, believe me. I have pretty strong feelings about game music, as I can't stand FFX HD due to it absolutely butchering the soundtrack (I don't think this is as bad as that though, as that was atrocious). Having our soundtrack switched is like a kick to the nuts. But I wanted this game so much that I'm willing to hold that L.

It'll be even worse in VIII though since I associate it with it's orchestral soundtrack. But once again I'll take the kick to the nuts.

EDIT: I guess I should also point out that I thought the DS DQVI soundtrack was butt and worse than what we are getting for VII, but that's another issue as Japan had to deal with it too.

Edited by Fates

I do have the soundtrack. But it's a different experience actually hearing it while playing the game versus listening to it without playing the game. While I can do this with the Japanese version, I can't understand Japanese to save my life, so the idea of playing the game in my native language with an improved soundtrack was like a dream come true. But then unexplained reasons happened.

What I don't understand is why all those censorship people from a few months ago haven't raised arms about the musical change. Isn't changing audio of any kind another form of censorship?

I associate the 7 remake with the orchestral soundtrack, so losing that aspect is, as you put it, a kick to the nuts.

What I don't understand is why all those censorship people from a few months ago haven't raised arms about the musical change. Isn't changing audio of any kind another form of censorship?

Anime tiddies are serious business :D

I guess if there are changes to the international version that don't involve costumes or major dialogue changes, it doesn't drum up much back lash on the Internet.

See, Fates knows what's up.

It's kinda sad when you think about it. There's many places to see some tig ol' anime bitties. Edited by Sword_of_Dusk

Based on the most recent Nintendo Direct from Nintendo of Europe, it still seems probable that the western version of Dragon Quest VIII will have a synthesised MIDI soundtrack.

(The music plays from 19:13 until 19:35 in the video above.)

But of course, there's still a chance that the western version of Dragon Quest VIII will have an orchestrated soundtrack, considering it would be released in 2017 in North America and Europe (I hope so).

Edited by Dakhil

Nevermind.

Is it a new recording? Doesn't really sound like the iOS version of the track (which I presume is the japanese original one?)

Is it a new recording? Doesn't really sound like the iOS version of the track (which I presume is the japanese original one?)

I believe so (at least from what I'm hearing).

(My apologies for the double post.)

Apparently, there were some footage of the western version of the Nintendo 3DS version of Dragon Quest VIII shown at the end of the Dragon Quest VII Developer Discussion at PAX West 2016. And it's apparently confirmed that there's no orchestrated soundtrack. However, there's apparently English voice acting, which sounded like the voice acting in the PlayStation 2 version.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=216244600&postcount=439

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=216245062&postcount=441

Yeah, it seems like the western version of the Nintendo 3DS version of Dragon Quest VIII will not have an orchestrated soundtrack, but instead a MIDI synthesised soundtrack. I would be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed. But I hope I can be proven wrong (though I highly doubt it).

At this point, I just want an explanation on its removal, both in this game and in DQVII. I can look past no orchestrated soundtrack in VII since it originally had none, but not having it in VIII is total BS. I seriously want to hear their reasoning, because I'm not in any way happy to hear this.

I'm going to let the following videos explain how I feel if this is indeed true. First we have this video:

Followed by this video:

Then we have this video and what I want to do to whomever made this decision:

And finally, this video:

• Upvote 1

I just want a $#!&ing reason at this point.

Are they too cheap? Do they even care?

The more I dwell on this, the more pissed off I get. Yangus, you mind if those videos serve as the way I feel too?

The more I dwell on this, the more pissed off I get. Yangus, you mind if those videos serve as the way I feel too?

Go right ahead. Hell, change the order, replace any of mine, do whatever it takes to properly show off how mad you are.

http://lparchive.org/Mega-Man-Battle-Network-4-6/Update%2015/21-capture_26102010_235026.png

That face conveys my current feelings quite well. No need for another video.