Sign in to follow this  
Dakhil

What type of soundtrack do you think Dragon Quest VIII will feature?

I'm curious to what anyone thinks, considering that the western version of Dragon Quest VII will feature a synthesised MIDI soundtrack in comparison to an orchestrated soundtrack in the Japanese version.

I don't know yet, but I hope that the western version of Dragon Quest VIII will feature an orchestrated soundtrack just like the Japanese version. But who knows? Maybe Square Enix decides that the western version of Dragon Quest VIII, like with the western version of Dragon Quest VII, will feature a synthesised MIDI soundtrack. I personally hope that's not the case.

(I do apologise if I sound like I'm being extremely repetitive.)

Edit: The title should say "What type of soundtrack do you think the Western version of Dragon Quest VIII will feature?"

Edited by Dakhil

I hope it keeps the orchestral, but time will tell.

I'm fine (if a bit upset) with DQVII removing it since the PS1 version didn't have it, but for DQVIII we did in fact get the orchestral OST in the west for the PS2 version, and it would feel worse, so to speak.

Orchestral. We probably won't get it since VII lost the symphonic music.

Orchestral. We probably won't get it since VII lost the symphonic music.

I have no intentions of being rude, but your statement sounds contradictory. You said that you think that Dragon Quest VIII will feature an orchestrated soundtrack; but then you said that the Western version of Dragon Quest VIII probably won't feature an orchestrated soundtrack since the Western version of Dragon Quest VII won't feature an orchestrated soundtrack, unlike the Japanese version. (Unless you're trying to say that the Japanese version of Dragon Quest VIII features an orchestrated soundtrack, but the Western version of Dragon Quest VIII won't, because the western version of Dragon Quest VII doesn't feature an orchestrated soundtrack, in comparison to the Japanese version. If that's the case, ignore what I said.)

I'm sorry if I sound super repetitive.

I would like for the western version to feature the symphony soundtrack like the western PS2 version.

However, because we lost the symphony music for the western release of 7, the same thing will probably happen to the 3DS version of 8.

So to answer your question, the western version will end up with enhanced midi/synth instead of the orchestral music.

Yeah if the suspicions of a license issue are true than this game will also lose it's symphonic soundtrack.

On a related note, the London Orchestra DQ boxset comes out in Japan later this month.

I've never played VIII so I'm not used to either soundtrack yet :P

If licensing issues are a problem though, I could see the release using a synth soundtrack.

I've never played VIII

Then you're gonna love this game. Dragon Quest VIII was a fantastic game, especially when it had been so long since a mainline DQ had been released back then.

• Upvote 1

I would like for the western version to feature the symphony soundtrack like the western PS2 version.

However, because we lost the symphony music for the western release of 7, the same thing will probably happen to the 3DS version of 8.

So to answer your question, the western version will end up with enhanced midi/synth instead of the orchestral music.

Now that I think about it, I have a bad feeling that Square Enix will implement a synthesised MIDI soundtrack for the western version of Dragon Quest VIII, which makes me feel really sad and disappointed. I dearly hope I'm wrong, but I have a feeling my gut feeling's right.

I've never played VIII so I'm not used to either soundtrack yet

If licensing issues are a problem though, I could see the release using a synth soundtrack.

I've seen a Lets Play of VIII by verticalsandwich.

If that counts.

If they release it with synth I'm gonna be a bit pissed, but if they don't have voice acting then I'll still buy it but I'll probably just plain PS2 version.

They decide to pull Koshiro in and its a FM Synth soundtrack.

They decide to pull Koshiro in and its a FM Synth soundtrack.

I like the way you think. Plus he could provide an orchestrated version for sure and even let you switch between the two!

Is perfect.

How insulting, you'd want to change Sugiyama's music? In VIII of all games? VII was Sugiyama's peak, and VIII was pretty close.

Oh it would still be the exact same soundtrack, just in a PC-88 FM synth style soundtrack (like if you NES-ified the soundtrack). Plus Koshiro has his own group for orchestral stuff, so it would provide a new symphonic rendition (biggest difference being it would just sound like there were fewer people).

If you've heard any of Koshiro's orchestral arrangements (the ActRaiser symphonic rendition comes to mind) you'd realize he's up to the task. For all we know he could perfectly re-create the symphonic suite style of Sugiyama, not to mention Sugiyama would probably supervise Koshiro's work and give him pointers to maintain his original work.

I've said elsewhere that Dragon Quest 8 has my favorite soundtrack in the series, but if there's any composer I would trust to keep the spirit of Sugiyama and Dragon Quest alive through song, it would be Yuzo Koshiro.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

If they mess with the classic soundtrack I remember, I'm not sure if I want to buy it. That's how important it is to me. I'm on the fence if it happens, would have to listen to the new soundtrack first.

If they mess with the classic soundtrack I remember, I'm not sure if I want to buy it. That's how important it is to me. I'm on the fence if it happens, would have to listen to the new soundtrack first.

I would probably be on the fence as well, considering that the Western version of Dragon Quest VIII on the PlayStation 2 had an orchestrated soundtrack.

Sorry for being off-topic here, but are you on the fence about Dragon Quest VII on the Nintendo 3DS, considering that the Western version has a synthesised MIDI soundtrack?

• Upvote 1

Unfortunately, it seems that the western version of Dragon Quest VIII will use a synthesised MIDI soundtrack, just like with the Western version of Dragon Quest VII.

(Go to 39:50)

Of course, I'm hoping that would change. But I'm not holding my breath.

Edited by Dakhil

Nevermind.

Oh well lol

A loss. But I'm still excited.

How is it "lol" worthy?

Fun fact: That direct is nearly a year old.

Unfortunately, it seems that the western version of Dragon Quest VIII will use a synthesised MIDI soundtrack, just like with the Western version of Dragon Quest VII.

(Go to 39:50)

Of course, I'm hoping that would change. But I'm not holding my breath.

Oh god, judging from that trailer they're using the new soundbank instead of just reusing the PS2 midi soundtrack. Not a fan of the new style of synth, if the new versions of 'Expressing My Thoughts Through My Harp' and the night-version of 'A Peaceful Community' from the Japanese 3ds soundtrack are anything to go by. Still praying we may somehow get the symphonic rendition, but I'm not keeping my hopes up. Ah well, at least we're getting the game :/

How is it "lol" worthy?

Fun fact: That direct is nearly a year old.

I could be wrong, but I think Fate is saying "lol" to the fact that I'm so worked up that the western version of Dragon Quest VIII will have a synthesised MIDI soundtrack instead of an orchestrated soundtrack.

Whilst it is true that Nintendo Direct is more than 6 months old, that Nintendo Direct showcased the western version of Dragon Quest VII to have a synthesised MIDI soundtrack instead of an orchestrated soundtrack. And that's what we're getting when Dragon Quest VII is released on 16 September 2016.

I'm not denying the possibility that when Nintendo showcases Dragon Quest VIII in the next Nintendo Direct, that there is confirmation that the western version of Dragon Quest VIII will have an orchestrated soundtrack (via the music playing when Nintendo presents Dragon Quest VIII in the next Nintendo Direct). In fact, I HOPE that's the case. But I'm thinking that the possibility of that happening is rather low, unfortunately.

Until we see a more recent English video that showcases the game and gives us a good chance to hear the soundtrack, no one here can say if the game will be getting midi or not.

That was the case with 7: the direct had midi music, but until E3 this year and recent gameplay showcases there was no way of knowing what exact soundtrack the English release would have.

Until we see a more recent English video that showcases the game and gives us a good chance to hear the soundtrack, no one here can say if the game will be getting midi or not.

That was the case with 7: the direct had midi music, but until E3 this year and recent gameplay showcases there was no way of knowing what exact soundtrack the English release would have.

We need more confirmation before claims are made.

That's true. I hope the western version of Dragon Quest VIII does have an orchestrated soundtrack when it gets released. But we'll see.