Seeming Western Music Change in DQ VII 3DS Release

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While the lack of an orchestrated soundtrack is dissapionting (if it turns out to be the case) really how much of a difference is it gonna make to the overall game, a lot of games have had great sound

The iOS version used the MIDI soundtrack that we've been hearing from Nintendo's streams and trailers. You can find it in the music section on the den main die if you want to listen and compare. It's

I still point fingers to a possible licensing issue with the Tokyo Metropolitan recording. Or just Sugiyama and his fascination for synth over orchestral within the games.   Who knows though. If Erd

http://www.woodus.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=34525

I started up a topic.  I haven't finished or written a letter.  I'm going to skip finishing it tonight, as I've had second thoughts after a lot of thinking, and breaking down potential reasons for the change.  I don't see this anymore as being screwed over.  DQ7's soundtrack is, for me, the best overall soundtrack.  I mean, it's par excellence.  I can actually see the localization team and management listening to the tracks and coming to the conclusion that having the full track is better than having a partial, but higher quality track.  Especially given how each one builds up slowly in complexity.  The better parts really are towards the end.

There's another issue I can see.  SE has to consider the mobile release as well.  I get the impression they would prefer no specific improvement in one over the other, or having to deal with issues of complaints in the US over the mobile having a different sound, and a lower quality version at that.  DQ8 wouldn't have been a problem given the time gap between the PS2's original release and the mobile, and that frankly there are NO extras from the US/EU release back in the day in the mobile version.  So one has to deal with the whole package of original elements of the Japanese, and frankly it matches well with the other mobile releases in many respects.  Whereas the timing here would be one close on the heels of the other (even 6 months is close in timing, and I get the feeling that will be the window of release for the mobile).

I could see Amiright being some form of adamant or a powerful metal.

Actually, Amiright is a pop culture parody site(Which I'm an author on).

Tell Platty that, not me. He "created" the idea for Amiright in the his post before the one you quoted. I was just agreeing with him that it could work as a pun related metal within the series.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

While the site exist(and I've been a part of it), I was just being playful.

I didn't concern myself with who said what first. :P

Tell Platty that, not me. He "created" the idea for Amiright in the his post before the one you quoted. I was just agreeing with him that it could work as a pun related metal within the series.
Nope, he told you. I heard nothing. I mean, amiright?

So if this is indeed (enhanced) synth in the west, is DQVIII PS2 the only game in the west that had an orchestral OST?
Been too long since I played the previous games.

I think so. Which is pretty funny because it didn't have an orchestrated soundtrack in the Japanese version.

Now we're in the reverse situation!
It's like the Twilight Zone.

• Upvote 1

Indeed.

I'm fine with updated synth, so long as the effect is masterfully produced/arranged and the emotions and tone are still 'real.'

I've listened to works composed entirely off of library samples of pre-recorded instrument notes that, while not 'performed' by human hands, can still be very emotive. If anything, going to a newly updated soundtrack on top of the original PS1 version that I'm playing at the moment will only be a great treat to my ears. Even better is the fact that symphonic versions still exist as well, so we've got three soundtracks to listen to, essentially.

And I guess it might've already been stated, but what might be most important is how well the music evokes particular moods while you're playing, while making sure to never overpower the game's scenario/story that you're experiencing, and instead amplifying the emotional effect of it. For me personally, I find that for this purpose, synths are usually less distracting towards what's actually happening in-game, as actual performances have a certain 'flair' that pull my attention away from the game and more towards the music.

That's not to say that I can't appreciate the music out of the context of the game, it's all wonderfully composed and fully listenable, and stays with me long after I've finished the game.

Edited by HalcyonDays

Technically it would four, as the London Philharmonic and Tokyo Metropolitan symphonic suites have some key differences in composition.

Quite frankly, I don't care.

That seems to be the common thought around here.

Actually it's more like half of what people think. We seem evenly split for the moment.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

I think for me it's just fatigue. After VI and Joker 2, I was almost certain DQ was dead in the west. Even though it's 3 years later, I was elated to find out I was wrong and DQ7 was headed westward.

The music, though unfortunate, really just doesn't diminish my hype. Especially if it was over licensing. I'm just really happy DQ is getting another chance and I hope it makes it big.

Edited by Fates

I'm just really happy DQ is getting another chance and I hope it makes it big.

You and everyone else around here.

Quite frankly, I don't care. I'm just happy that we're finally getting it.

I agree. Yeah I'm a little disappointed but I honestly thought the game wasn't coming at all. I thought too much time had passed and gave up hope for the game entirely.

I can handle the change in music. I just want to play the game already lol.

I haven't been able to come around to the desire to write out a letter ever since learning the orchestrated music wasn't in full.  The more time passes, the more I actually prefer a full soundtrack that uses updated synthesized sounds of the level present in the mobile releases.  I really really really love DQ3's mobile soundtrack.  It helps alleviate the pain of what was left out of that version.  I actually find it quite enjoyable just because of the upgraded music, even over the SFC.  My favourite 2D DQ3 release would have the mobile music (or the true orchestrated tracks), the SFC animations, the slightly updated mobile graphics, and the second bonus dungeon, the GBC stat gain system, the GBC equipment tweaks, and the SFC difficulty.

So I don't think I'll write anything at this point.  Sorry guys.  I've lost my mojo on it entirely.  It's one reason why I haven't posted any videos in DQ7.  A lot of time thinking and processing, and this is one of those details in life I'd been contemplating.

If anyone wants to take up the charge and write an actual letter, or a base letter, feel free to do so.

I said some things.

[snip] I just want to play the game already lol.

I've wanted to play Dragon Quest VII for 15 years, mate. I was too late to the DW7 bandwagon when it came out waaaay back when.

Edited by IlexGarodan

I haven't been able to come around to the desire to write out a letter ever since learning the orchestrated music wasn't in full. The more time passes, the more I actually prefer a full soundtrack that uses updated synthesized sounds of the level present in the mobile releases. I really really really love DQ3's mobile soundtrack. It helps alleviate the pain of what was left out of that version. I actually find it quite enjoyable just because of the upgraded music, even over the SFC. My favourite 2D DQ3 release would have the mobile music (or the true orchestrated tracks), the SFC animations, the slightly updated mobile graphics, and the second bonus dungeon, the GBC stat gain system, the GBC equipment tweaks, and the SFC difficulty.

So I don't think I'll write anything at this point. Sorry guys. I've lost my mojo on it entirely. It's one reason why I haven't posted any videos in DQ7. A lot of time thinking and processing, and this is one of those details in life I'd been contemplating.

If anyone wants to take up the charge and write an actual letter, or a base letter, feel free to do so.

Very well. I will write the letter. I'll post it in the next week or so. Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

Quite frankly, I don't care. I'm just happy that we're finally getting it.

I agree. Yeah I'm a little disappointed but I honestly thought the game wasn't coming at all. I thought too much time had passed and gave up hope for the game entirely.

I can handle the change in music. I just want to play the game already lol.

My feelings exactly! It's been almost four years, if we need to sacrifice the orchestral soundtrack to get the game outside of Japan, it's fine by me. :)

Edited by gooieooie

Why is everybody calling this "updated synth"? The instruments sound like ass. I'd prefer the PlayStation synth to this one.

• Upvote 1

Why is everybody calling this "updated synth"? The instruments sound like ass. I'd prefer the PlayStation synth to this one.

The only instruments that sound like my ass are the percussion.

The only instruments that sound like my ass are the percussion.

Dat (b)ass drum.

• Upvote 1