Sign in to follow this  
Dark Slime

Which DQ Apps should I purchase?

Now that I got my issue with my new phone fixed (I had to reinstall DQ 1, 2, and 3 apps, you cant transfer them phone to phone) I might want to purchase more DQ apps.

I already have DQ 4, 5, and 6 on DS, is it worth buying them on Android? Are they better, worse, or same on mobile vs the DS versions.

What about DQ8? I assume there is no voice acting on the Android version of DQ8, but I heard bad things about being in the field. I heard it was hard to see anything when walking since the screen is so small. Is this true? And anything else about DQ8 mobile that is better or worse than the PS2 version?

I am going to get an Android Tablet soon, is it easy for me to install the same DQ apps to my Tablet that are also on my phone?

Do the games look the same on Tablet vs Cell Phone? Meaning are DQ8 and the rest real narrow on Tablet, narrow as in the upright portrait view of a cell phone?

Edited by Dark Slime

Just wait and get DQ8 on 3DS.

Just wait and get DQ8 on 3DS.

I will get that, but I was wondering if the mobile version is also worth buying, or if the changes ruin the game.

DQ 1, 2, and 3 mobile were brand new translations, so they were worth it, although I was ticked when they left the Pachisi Tracks off DQ3 Android.

DQ4 mobile has party chat added back in. DQ8 3ds has more content than in mobile.   I still wonder if SE is ever going to update mobile with the 3ds stuff.

Edited by sounderfan84

DQ8 mobile was fine. But skip it and get the 3ds.

• Upvote 1

DQ1 Is kind of buggy in my experience (crashes when I touch the map) would reccomend looking for a different version.

DQ2 Mobile version is probably the best version of the game.

DQ3 Is missing some content compared to other versions. Not sure which version is best though.

DQ4 Mobile adds party chat. Would definitely reccomend over DS version.

DQ5 Only difference on mobile is Lowered mp cost for Zoom and Evac. It's a great port, but you can afford to skip it if you have the DS version.

DQ6 Contains many balance changes with the job system, buffed Terry, and allows you to get the Suite Dream rewards without tagging. Great port, but like DQ5 you can afford to skip if you have DS version.

DQ8 Very impressive for a mobile port of a ps2 game. Though not as good as the PS2 version. If you have a 3DS and some patience, I would skip it and wait for the 3DS version.

Edit: Sidenote: I've played both versions of DQ5 and noticed no frame drops in the mobile version, while the DS version would drop frames in battle sometimes (like when using Swoosh on large groups). I haven't actually played the mobile version of 4, but I remember dropping frames in towns sometimes on the DS version, so there's a chance that's fixed in the mobile version, but I can't confirm it.

Edited by SlimeVagrant

I recommend you buy all of them. Make sure to get the southeast Asia version of Monsters Super Light as well, it's got English language support. I won't blame you if you try to get refunds for any games that don't work on your device, but definitely try them out first. Best versions of DQ1 and DQ2, decent but unfortunately cut down version of DQ3, best version of DQ4 (unless someone translates the PS1 version someday). DQ5 depends on what you prefer: for the best graphics, control, and OST, you'll prefer the PS2 version, but if you want Deborah spring for the iOS/Android version. Best version of DQ6. DQ8 is fine, it uses the same translation as the PS2 version, with minor changes where it is different from the English PS2 version (This version is based on the Japanese PS2 version, which had MIDI music, no voice acting, instant alchemy from the start, and different post-game prizes.)

DQ7... Buy it when/if it comes here. It's a step down from the 3DS version as the music is inferior (although it looks like we might end up getting this version of the soundtrack in the western 3DS versions anyway, cheap f**ks) and it lags like a mofo in battle on my iPad Air. The resolution increase and camera improvements are pretty dope though. PS1 version is still my favorite though because the remakes dumbed down the puzzles.

I'm a mobile advocate, but...

DQ1-3 is completely "remastered" for Android with semi-upscaled graphics that make it look 16-bit, and new localizations. While DQ3 doesn't have everything the SNES/GBC port, it does have the post-game dungeon and minimedals. (( It eschews the Pachisi/TnT boards and monster medals / ice dungeon. ))

Verdict? Get DQ1-3 for mobile. They gud. They play on most any Android hardware 4.0 and up.

DQ4-6... 

DQ4 mobile. Get it. It has party chat added to it. It rocks.

DQ5 mobile. Get it. It rocks in general.

DQ6 mobile. Get it. It fixes some wifi-junk and lets you do stuff like the Slime Suite or whatever it is without wifi-junk.

Get all of them.

DQ8. Ew. Ew. Ew. While I don't mind the lack of a full orchestrated OST or the lack of voice acting, the game is sluggish and has a horrible camera. Avoid. Get it for 3DS.

DQ8 works fine Matt. Get gud.

DQ8 works fine Matt. Get gud.

I had it running on an old iPad 2. It crashed 6 times in 80 hours. Not bad.

In the 30 hours I put into DQ2 mobile, I had the game crash on me once. That's pretty dang good. I haven't tried any other release.

Dq8 has never crashed on my iPad Air or iPhone 6

They're pretty stable games since they don't require any sort of internet connection to play. When I play Superlight or FF Record keeper, I'll have several crashes happen per session, and that's on an iPad 2.

• Upvote 1

Just got a 10 inch Galaxy S2 Tablet. DQ1, 2, and 3 look great on it. I am gonna have to buy them all on Android now with this big screen.

• Upvote 1

You guys have issues.

DQ8 suffered HORRIBLE slowdown on a tablet MUCH MORE BETTER than their testing units (( Galaxy Tab 4 10.1 )) and god, the camera.

god the camera

nightmares

But on a serious note.

On phones, DQ1-3 seem to be the best fit. With a smaller plate period, DQ1-3 seem to all run pretty well on my phones (( A HTC Desire 626s with official Marshmallow firmware, a Moto G 1G with custom Marshmallow firmware, various random tablets that have Android 4.0+, and my mom's Moto e 2015. )), but as far as 4-6 goes, I will say that a tablet would be best, due to the graphic details.

Seriously. DQ8 mobile sucks. I love mobile. I cannot play DQ8. It is a bloated POS.

Android

There's your problem.

I played through DQ8 with 70+ hours on my galaxy S5. It never crashed on me, the frame rate was noticeably lower than the PS2, but it ran at a good speed so I'm pretty sure it was designed that way since it's a phone port. The only time it dropped frames (or slowed down) was during a cutscene late in the game. I only bought it because at the time I was sure that the 3DS version wouldn't be coming over here, and then the announcement came a week or two later. I would definitely recommend it if the 3DS version wasn't around the corner.

Edited by SlimeVagrant
  • Upvote 1

I just don't like DQ8 mobile's camera controls.

Echoing what everyone else said about the quality of the ports of 1-6.

I played on iOS so I don't know if this problem exists on Android, but be careful about suspending DQ2. Even if I just went to go check a text or something, suspending the game would usually result in me being sent back to the title screen when I went back to the game, so make good use of quicksaves.

Buy all of them one by one if you dont like request refund.

I played on iOS so I don't know if this problem exists on Android, but be careful about suspending DQ2. Even if I just went to go check a text or something, suspending the game would usually result in me being sent back to the title screen when I went back to the game, so make good use of quicksaves.

I did have an issue with DQ2. It was something about quick saving and going into towns, or something odd like that. It took me a few times to figure it out and then I just avoided doing it. Totally unhelpful I know, but maybe someone else had that happen too?
  • Upvote 1

I did have an issue with DQ2. It was something about quick saving and going into towns, or something odd like that. It took me a few times to figure it out and then I just avoided doing it. Totally unhelpful I know, but maybe someone else had that happen too?

That happened with me and dungeons. That's why I stopped tabbing out or auto saving the game and I would just play for the full duration, then go save. I had a phone call mess me up once.

• Upvote 1

I'm gonna buy the rest that I dont own yet on Android. DQ4, 5, 6, and 8. I just got a 10 inch Android Tablet and it is awesome replaying DQ1 on it, much better than when I played on my cell phone.

• Upvote 1

I'm gonna buy the rest that I dont own yet on Android. DQ4, 5, 6, and 8. I just got a 10 inch Android Tablet and it is awesome replaying DQ1 on it, much better than when I played on my cell phone.

I think one reason I enjoyed them all so much was I played all of them on an iPad. Not once have I tried them on a smaller phone.

Sign in to follow this