Sign in to follow this  
HalcyonDays

DWVII (PSX) Gameshark Modifier Codes for EXP/GOLD/WORK/JOB Multiplier

So I've been going through DWVII again, though I really don't have as much time to spend these days. Luckily, it's on a PSP so it's both portable and it's got a sleep mode...but even then, it can get rather grindy. The default exp gain is fine with me, but I wanted to earn more money from my battles.

I looked online and found some modifier codes that can multiply your gold/exp/job points after battles, and they offered multipliers between 4, 8, 16, etc all the way up to 128. Thing is, I didn't want to break the game, and even a 4X modifier can be pretty huge.

So I decided to test some codes, and discovered you can actually even switch the modifier even lower to 2X setting, so what you earned in battle is two times as much. Significantly less than the previous lowest setting, which was times four. It should be useful to those who want to speed things up, but don't want to break the difficulty of the game.

Anyways, except for the '2 times' modifier, this code is pretty much copypasted from here: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/197152-dragon-warrior-vii/66309516

Exp multiplier
8004B618 XXXX
8004B61A 0010

Gold multiplier
8004C634 XXXX
8004C636 0004

Work/Job Exp multiplier
8004B800 XXXX
8004B802 0010

XXXX=

2840 2 times
2880 4 times
28C0 8 times
2900 16 times
2940 32 times
2980 64 times
29C0 128 times

Yeah, almost 16 years late, but here's a 2X modifier!

• Upvote 1

Yeah, those are fun codes to use.  Really cuts the class grind by a lot.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, those are fun codes to use.  Really cuts the class grind by a lot.

Ohh yeahh, you got that right.

Well, it doesn't quite apply for me yet, since I haven't hit Dharma yet, but still...come to think of it, you were in the thread I linked huh? Thanks for testing them out, haha.

Speaking of which, are you planning on using any codes for your current playthrough, or is it a pure run-through?

No, I don't want to anyhow.  Even if I did, I can't, since I'm using ePSXe.  I can't find any gameshark function in the build I have, and I'm not in the mood to look for a plug-in/tweak for one.

If you want to cut down on everything, why not just use the debug commands?

If you want to cut down on everything, why not just use the debug commands?

Takes the fun out of it.  This just speeds things up a little, at whatever pace I wish to set.  The debug menu is instant.  I don't like that.  This at least let's me PLAY, while the debug just...it just changes things to fixed intervals, but doesn't allow slight alterations of the game itself.  It's not like I can change the rate of exp, gold, job, or even item drops.  I can just give myself things up front, or setup specific battles up front, or change my stats up front, or set my levels up front.

It's just not fun for me.  This doesn't remove the actual joy of playing the game.

So, I've been doing some code testing with the JOB/WORK Exp Multiplier Code listed in the first post. The codes work just fine, and it severely reduces the grind needed to master classes.

HOWEVER, there seems to be a caveat to it.

For those who are attempting to get the 'Hybrid' skills, like Sword Dance, for instance, the Job/Work modifier codes don't seem to help you get those skills any quicker. I suspect this is because the code doesn't account for 'maturation' of classes, which seem to activate on a counter that is separate from merely mastering the class.

Since hybrid skills can only be attained once a class has 'matured' (Maturation is different from Mastery, as maturation for a class is attained when the game gives you the following after a battle: "As a Warrior, JoeBlow is becoming matured"), and since this code seems to not affect maturation, I can only speculate on whether or not using these codes can still allow for hybrid skills to be learned even if you grind out the required number of battles long after the class has been mastered.

So, TL;DR...

Job/Work Exp Multiplier Codes can screw up the timing needed for getting Hybrid Skills/'maturing' in a certain class. More testing is needed to see whether using these codes completely screws you over and makes it impossible to get the hybrid skills in the first place.

They don't block hybrid skills.

The first Maturation is level 5 anyhow.  After that, it's a fixed 30 battle count when returning to that class.

The code only affects the first time, as it simply shortens the time for that trigger.  All other "maturation" still triggers, but you have to wait out the full 30 battles.  So keep at it.  It's surprising how long it can take to hit that number.

Interesting, so you're saying that, sometime during a level 5 class' grind, a maturation message will be triggered after 30 or so battles, even with the codes on?

So technically then, the codes actually can help severely reduce the grind getting 'to' the maturation trigger, but they still don't reduce the number of battles (30) needed to activate the 'maturation' message confirmation in a battle?

If that's the case, then wouldn't it be wise, after reaching level 5 in a class, to turn off cheats and simply grind out those 30 battles until the maturation message appears, and then immediately switch to the second class in the hybrid skill requirement, return on cheats until level 5, and then turn them off again and fight another 30 for that class' maturation message?

Hmm...even without cheats, maturation can still be sort of mysterious to people. I'm still mystified by it, anyway.

EDIT: Okay, did some much needed reading on maturation. It seems that once a class has reached a minimum of level 5, fighting 30 battles within that class activates a maturation 'window' during which you should immediately switch over to another class (which should be at least level 5, if not then grind that class up to level 5) and then fight another 30 battles within that other class as well in order to activate the maturation 'window' for that class as well.

Once that's done and you've activated both level 5 (or above) class' maturation windows, you should receive the hybrid skill.

Anyways, I think that's how it's done. Ignasia can probably point out if I've gotten anything incorrect here.

EDIT AGAIN: Alright, I think I've confirmed the previous edit. I happily take back what I said a couple of posts ago, though technically, the code still doesn't affect maturation rates. It simply takes you to level 5 quickly so that you can trigger the maturation message once 30 battles have been fought. Thanks for the info Ignasia.

Edited by HalcyonDays