Sign in to follow this  
Ashes

DQX etiquette

So per Polantis's suggestion I'm splitting this post into its own topic for discussion. For reference the following is the original post.

All, with the surge of new players there are a few things to remind members of the team/den. Any of these infrastructures could lead to your account being investigated and subsequent ban. However, it can also lead to all of us getting banned too. Things to avoid:

Naming your character inappropriately, This means any profane words, but it also means names that are repetitive/sequential characters

Speaking English in a setting where you don't explicitly know players (local and party chat etc)

Harassing other players

Utilizing macros or turbo controls

Altering game files

Failure to observe common courtesy in Japan. That means failure to respond to cheers with "arigatou" and yoroshikuonegashimasu. Failure to use honorifics such as san and sama when addressing players you don't know or have not been authorized to address without such honorifics. Utilizing the proper kana/kanji

To the common American MMO player some of this may seem extreme, but it's not in Japan. If you don't understand these guidelines then ask. We in the team are there to assist each other. Ultimately, when you break these rules you risk our accounts too, so we all have a personal stake in abiding to these rules.

Failure to observe common courtesy in Japan. That means failure to respond to cheers with "arigatou" and yoroshikuonegashimasu. Failure to use honorifics such as san and sama when addressing players you don't know or have not been authorized to address without such honorifics. Utilizing the proper kana/kanji

It's fun when someone has a stick up their butt to reach down there and wiggle that stick. Especially if someone is demanding sama.

It's fun when someone has a stick up their butt to reach down there and wiggle that stick. Especially if someone is demanding sama.

That's not really a stick up their butt sort of thing. For example, in my family it displays your mindset whether use the honorific or not. When you use the honorific you're more likely to listen and respectful to others.

If I was given gold every time you misspelled Polantaris's name, I would never be broke in-game.

We need to make this happen.  I'm a broke bish.

Edited by Phanir
  • Upvote 1

I'm going to throw in two cents and say that unless another player is a well-known god among players then using -sama with them can be seen as a bit extreme. Using -san is perfectly respectful to both friends and strangers alike, but using -sama might actually make you stand out more. You're pretty much putting that person in the same category as a king or a god.

I'm going to throw in two cents and say that unless another player is a well-known god among players then using -sama with them can be seen as a bit extreme. Using -san is perfectly respectful to both friends and strangers alike, but using -sama might actually make you stand out more. You're pretty much putting that person in the same category as a king or a god.

So Mimas would fit this then? Cause y'know she and krw have been god like in their assistance.

So Mimas would fit this then? Cause y'know she and krw have been god like in their assistance.

Nay, in the mmo world I myself have on occasion been called "God" "God-like" "Monster" and even "Alex-Sama".  But to earn that, usually you have to have best in slot gear, have had server/world firsts, ridiculously high achievement score, and be known and also proven to be the best at your class and role.  Had it happen in WoW class being Paladin, Role Tank. Had it happen, twice, in XIV, Tank, but had all classes at max level, millions of gil, can efficiently and effectively use 5 of the classes and outplay on said 5 classes against those who been playing those classes up to 10x longer than I have, and generally also cuz of FC notoriety. 

Only time I ever seen "master" or any of the above otherwise is in the act of roleplaying. 

Edited by Alexandrious