Sign in to follow this  
cobolisdead

What kind of Marketing do you expect in the next few months?

I would be much less disappointed with the soundtrack change if Sugiyama had at least used the instrument set used in Theatrhythm, but this particular patch set sounds terrible. It's got a Windows general midi feel to it. * shudders *

* If you'd like to listen for comparison, the Theatrhythm ost is on the den main site, in the "music and sounds section". The western 3DS version of DQ7 is there too, as it appears to be the same as the iOS/Android version in Japan.

I am 99% certain that the OST change was due to space limitations. They're fitting FIVE localizations of DQ7's massive script on one cartridge, and the orchestrated OST's file size is likely very large. So that means they likely had to choose between compressing the existing OST or using smaller MIDI files to fit on the 2GB cartridge.

Now you might wonder: "But 3DS has 4GB carts available! Why not use those?" And the answer for that is that it's not cost efficient to upgrade from a 2GB to a 4GB cart when you only need the extra space for the spill-over. Using 2.3 GB out of 4, for example, is a huge waste. The only other option would have been to not have a physical version at all, and have the game available digitally with the original OST to save costs. And then we'd be having an entirely different argument.

I could see them upgrading the carts if this was expected to be a multi-million unit seller. But with a game that they may just barely break even on the investment, this is a safe move. You guys may not like it on a personal level, but that's just business unfortunately.

Edited by Mettool
  • Upvote 2

I am 99% certain that the OST change was due to space limitations. They're fitting FIVE localizations of DQ7's massive script on one cartridge, and the orchestrated OST's file size is likely very large. So that means they likely had to choose between compressing the existing OST or using smaller MIDI files to fit on the 2GB cartridge.

Now you might wonder: "But 3DS has 4GB carts available! Why not use those?" And the answer for that is that it's not cost efficient to upgrade from a 2GB to a 4GB cart when you only need the extra space for the spill-over. Using 2.3 GB out of 4, for example, is a huge waste. The only other option would have been to not have a physical version at all, and have the game available digitally with the original OST to save costs. And then we'd be having an entirely different argument.

I could see them upgrading the carts if this was expected to be a multi-million unit seller. But with a game that they may just barely break even on the investment, this is a safe move. You guys may not like it on a personal level, but that's just business unfortunately.

It's not.  The game uses a 2GB cart, and the total used space on it is about 1.6GB (we know how many blocks are present, and the cart size).  I'd have to find the post where someone showcased the total block size of the US/EU version (it's slightly larger than the Japanese, but enough to account for the extra translations alone).  I had forgotten that Wave formatting pads/fills in tracks so that the midi versus symphonic would be virtually identical in size.  Which is how the music is formatted on cart.

I had the same idea, because it would make perfect sense, especially in light of DQ9 being cut to 1 save slot just to assure it fits on a smaller cart.

I also thought the DLC was off-cart, but it's on-cart, just unlock codes like with DQ9.

If you need me to track down those numbers...I forget where they are on this forum, then I'll do so.

The more likely reasons are:

1) Money...royalties would have to be organized and paid to the Tokyo Metro.

2) Synchronicity with the mobile, which will have to be released relatively soon after...maybe 3 to 6 months from now, unless Nintendo has convinced them to wait until at least the DLC is completed.  So that one doesn't outshine the other.

3) Sugiyama's wish to see the original recording used.

4) They somehow, some way expected us not to notice, or pay much heed, or make much of a ruckus given we're actually getting the game, and in continuously repeating the sob story about how this game was never to be (I don't actually buy that, at all...I buy it was cancelled or postponed and put into limbo at some point, but I find the actual story to be a selling point to garner more support for DQ releases in making it about the fan demand...which is actually fine by me, since it makes us into the heroes).

Edited by ignasia7
  • Upvote 2

It's not.  The game uses a 2GB cart, and the total used space on it is about 1.6GB (we know how many blocks are present, and the cart size).  I'd have to find the post where someone showcased the total block size of the US/EU version (it's slightly larger than the Japanese, but enough to account for the extra translations alone).  I had forgotten that Wave formatting pads/fills in tracks so that the midi versus symphonic would be virtually identical in size.  Which is how the music is formatted on cart.

I had the same idea, because it would make perfect sense, especially in light of DQ9 being cut to 1 save slot just to assure it fits on a smaller cart.

I also thought the DLC was off-cart, but it's on-cart, just unlock codes like with DQ9.

If you need me to track down those numbers...I forget where they are on this forum, then I'll do so.

The more likely reasons are:

1) Money...royalties would have to be organized and paid to the Tokyo Metro.

2) Synchronicity with the mobile, which will have to be released relatively soon after...maybe 3 to 6 months from now, unless Nintendo has convinced them to wait until at least the DLC is completed.  So that one doesn't outshine the other.

3) Sugiyama's wish to see the original recording used.

4) They somehow, some way expected us not to notice, or pay much heed, or make much of a ruckus given we're actually getting the game, and in continuously repeating the sob story about how this game was never to be (I don't actually buy that, at all...I buy it was cancelled or postponed and put into limbo at some point, but I find the actual story to be a selling point to garner more support for DQ releases in making it about the fan demand...which is actually fine by me, since it makes us into the heroes).

I wish I had more than just one upvote to give.

Whatever the case, we're getting the game in 4 days. I'm fine with the music in it's current format. 

• Upvote 1

So, for optimal chances at recruiting a monster should you have monster munchies in all 4 characters inventories?

Is there more than one bag?

Edited by Sword_of_Dusk

No, but each character has their own inventory and in that video the monster munchies were specifically in Austers inventory rather than the bag.

So, does that mean that if they're in Austers inventory that only his killing blows would have a chance at recruiting monsters or is it a percentage shared for the whole party?  If it only applies to Auster if it's in his inventory then do I need Monster Munchies in all their inventories?  I suspect keeping it in the bag wouldn't work at all?

No, but each character has their own inventory and in that video the monster munchies were specifically in Austers inventory rather than the bag.

So, does that mean that if they're in Austers inventory that only his killing blows would have a chance at recruiting monsters or is it a percentage shared for the whole party? If it only applies to Auster if it's in his inventory then do I need Monster Munchies in all their inventories? I suspect keeping it in the bag wouldn't work at all?

I meant is there more than one bag of monster munchies. I probably should've specified that.

Newest one is up!

So I notice in this trailer in the stats menu for the monster it says "Doesn't drop its heart".

What does that mean? Is that for a vocation?

Not all monsters have a respective class/vocation, so that could be the game's way of telling you that X monster won't give out a Monster Heart.

I've never played past Rexwood in DQ7. I don't know what Monster Hearts do.

Basically Monster Hearts are the way you can take on the powers and form of a monster. For example, have a character hold a Healer Heart, they can become a Healer by visiting Dharma, and you can master the class like any other. It will use up the Monster Heart in the process, but that character will be able to switch in and out of the class whenever you like.

In some cases, by mastering two monster classes you can access higher level monster classes. And as a bonus in this remake, any skills learned via monster classes will carry over to any class. This allows you to work around the changes of the job class system in this game.

The hearts work like the Dragonic Diligence and Liquid Metal Slime Minds in VI or the Book of Satori/Zen Scroll/Words of Wisdom in III.

So, does that mean that if they're in Austers inventory that only his killing blows would have a chance at recruiting monsters or is it a percentage shared for the whole party? If it only applies to Auster if it's in his inventory then do I need Monster Munchies in all their inventories? I suspect keeping it in the bag wouldn't work at all?

I meant is there more than one bag of monster munchies. I probably should've specified that.

Ah, good question.

Well, it's good to see they are keeping it up.