Sign in to follow this  
cobolisdead

What kind of Marketing do you expect in the next few months?

NICE trailer. But... where's the one for the US? Come on NOA pick it up.

I really hope the soundtrack drama doesn't overshadow the launch. Kinda lame they switched it but FINALLY AFTER THREE YEARS ITS HAPPENING

Doesn't mean we don't deserve an answer.

Nevermind.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

Doesn't mean we don't deserve an answer.

I actually think it's quite presumptuous to think we deserve a damn thing. There's very little in life that people "deserve". Explanations for small differences unrelated to gameplay are most definitely not one of them. I'll sit here and listen to you all $#!&@ and complain and just shake my head, but the word "deserve" strikes a chord with me and makes me think you're all taking it too far. It's words like "deserve" and "not fair" that are triggers that really just make me think "nope." Haha, students in my classes know that when they spout such meaningless, I stop and give lectures. Those concepts are just crap for people to complain about.

Ask for explanations.

Request information.

Stop thinking you "deserve" a damn thing.

End rant. Sorry, trigger word.

He's honestly right. Yeah, people here will notice but we're far from the majority.

Exactly. Play to the majority. The majority don't give 2 shits. Sorry others are so upset, but I just cannot even fathom.

I wish there was more transparency as well on issues that people are trying to push for answers to, but there is almost a level of entitlement to thinking that it's our right to know something. As fans, we certainly have the right to ask questions and demand answers if we don't get them if it's important to us, but gamers already come off as entitled enough, so it's sometimes best to pick your battles instead of choosing such a small issue as the mountain you're willing to die on.

I don't know why they're so dodgy on this particular issue, it seems a bit strange to me to be sure, but I'm not going to let such a small thing damper a positive experience when I get to playing it.

• Upvote 1

I wish there was more transparency as well on issues that people are trying to push for answers to, but there is almost a level of entitlement to thinking that it's our right to know something. As fans, we certainly have the right to ask questions and demand answers if we don't get them if it's important to us, but gamers already come off as entitled enough, so it's sometimes best to pick your battles instead of choosing such a small issue as the mountain you're willing to die on.

I don't know why they're so dodgy on this particular issue, it seems a bit strange to me to be sure, but I'm not going to let such a small thing damper a positive experience when I get to playing it.

This is why I hit like on your posts so much.
  • Upvote 1

It's at times like this I thank god I have the Etrian series: we get fully orchestrated soundtracks and in the Untold games (and now EO5) we get the original FM synth as well.

The only reason I can think of for change in the music was due to Japanese backlash: apparently they had problems with how certain songs looped, and having played the Japanese version this is noticeable on like 3 songs, Singinf Stadium being the biggest offender. However, this all comes from simply re-using existing material from the 2006 Tokyo Metropolitan recording. Perhaps if the music had been re-recorded specifically to address looping issues on certain songs, the problem and complaints could have been avoided.

It surprises me Sugiyama doesn't do this with many new releases. I understand the man is well into his 80s, but it's odd he hasn't brought on a younger composer/arranger that will stay true to his work and create new recordings of DQ tunes, perhaps with a smaller group instead of a full orchestra. Obviously this is all hypothetical and wishful thinking.

It's just so disappointing, but as a consolation there are games like Bravely Default, Kid Icarus Uprising, and the 3DS Etrian games that don't lose their symphonic/orchestral music between their regional counterparts to name a few.

• Upvote 1

It's just so disappointing, but as a consolation there are games like Bravely Default, Kid Icarus Uprising, and the 3DS Etrian games that don't lose their symphonic/orchestral music between their regional counterparts to name a few.

See. That makes logical sense for people being disappointed. This argument I understand. Doesn't bother me still, but I get it.

I'll admit that when it comes to Dragon Quest I become a lot more vocal about the music more than any other series, which is why I have vented my frustrations with the musical changes in the 3DS games. Obviously it will not affect the gameplay, the most important part of any game, but it's a change that I wish the team would address in some way that isn't dodging the question.

• Upvote 2

I'll admit that when it comes to Dragon Quest I become a lot more vocal about the music more than any other series, which is why I have vented my frustrations with the musical changes in the 3DS games. Obviously it will not affect the gameplay, the most important part of any game, but it's a change that I wish the team would address in some way that isn't dodging the question.

It does seem odd. Just a blowoff explanation would suffice. Better to lie than evade. Haha.

I don't normally use the word deserve, mostly because I just don't think of it often, but given that we are loyal fans of a series that hasn't traditionally done all that well here, it'd be nice to get a direct answer. No, it's not because of any entitlement (I don't intend to let it stop me from buying the game), but because I'm legit curious about the answer, and the fact that they're dodging the question is rather annoying.

By the way, my use of that word was not intended to sound entitled, and I wasn't particularly thinking anyone would find it so. I've never had all that much in life. I'm thankful to have a roof over my head and to not be completely dirt poor, or living in a third world country, but I have never once complained seriously about my life. Sure there's the usual wishes for a little more money, but I do not go bothering others about it. I understand if you get triggered, but never, ever assume such a thing about me. It's one of the three things that piss me off royally, and I'm not usually kind about telling people off when they attempt to bring it up. I'd appreciate it if you simply ask me if I'm serious next time, because I occasionally don't notice if I've said something that might be offending to another person. I do apologize, Platty.

Seriously though, I'm scary when someone's ticked me off. I once punched a friend in the stomach because I happened to be in a really angry mood at the time. I apologized immediately, but I shocked myself with my own reaction. I actively work to not let my temper flare, because if I do....well, let's not dwell on that.

• Upvote 1

I'm pissed about the soundtrack change because the symphonic ost was the best improvement in the remake. The rest of the remake seems watered down compared to the original. It's still a great game, don't get me wrong. But the music change is actually insulting to me. If I'd prefer to listen to the PlayStation version's music than the new synth, then they done f**ked up.

• Upvote 2

I don't normally use the word deserve, mostly because I just don't think of it often, but given that we are loyal fans of a series that hasn't traditionally done all that well here, it'd be nice to get a direct answer. No, it's not because of any entitlement (I don't intend to let it stop me from buying the game), but because I'm legit curious about the answer, and the fact that they're dodging the question is rather annoying.

By the way, my use of that word was not intended to sound entitled, and I wasn't particularly thinking anyone would find it so. I've never had all that much in life. I'm thankful to have a roof over my head and to not be completely dirt poor, or living in a third world country, but I have never once complained seriously about my life. Sure there's the usual wishes for a little more money, but I do not go bothering others about it. I understand if you get triggered, but never, ever assume such a thing about me. It's one of the three things that piss me off royally, and I'm not usually kind about telling people off when they attempt to bring it up. I'd appreciate it if you simply ask me if I'm serious next time, because I occasionally don't notice if I've said something that might be offending to another person. I do apologize, Platty.

Seriously though, I'm scary when someone's ticked me off. I once punched a friend in the stomach because I happened to be in a really angry mood at the time. I apologized immediately, but I shocked myself with my own reaction. I actively work to not let my temper flare, because if I do....well, let's not dwell on that.

Sorry for my rant, man. You're not the first who's kept bringing it up here and a Facebook group. Again, I get you all are upset, just seeing the same old thing over and over for months is grating. I overreacted too. Hope this all just fades into the background upon release!

It will, I'm sure. I just want to play the game.

Again, sorry for triggering you, Platty. I really didn't intend to. Most of my focus was on reading this screenshot LP of a solo Rydia run of FFIV Advance, so I barely noted just how I sounded. While I'm talking about LPs, check out the LP Archive. Great stuff to find in there.

• Upvote 1

The DQ7 soundtrack claims another thread :D 

The DQ7 soundtrack claims another thread :D

It's strange the kind of things that become sore points sometimes.

I'm pissed about the soundtrack change because the symphonic ost was the best improvement in the remake. The rest of the remake seems watered down compared to the original. It's still a great game, don't get me wrong. But the music change is actually insulting to me. If I'd prefer to listen to the PlayStation version's music than the new synth, then they done f**ked up.

By the sounds of the music in that new trailer, it's as if they are trying to recreate the PS1 soundtrack exactly. The rendition of Fighting Spirit sounded like the PS1 version tempo wise, but for it being 15 years later it doesn't sound any better than the PS1 version. I really think if they would improve the midi sound quality, the soundtrack change wouldn't be as bad (in my opinion). Other 3DS games that use midi/synth specifically for their soundtracks can create some good "realistic" instrument sounds, but Dragon Quest seems to have trouble with this.

Just to use a recent example, Bravely Second's new music is with midi. The sound of said midi resembles later years PS1 quality midi, something like Final Fantasy IX to make a direct comparison. Both Second and FFIX may have soundtracks that are clearly midi, but with the sound of them they are of a solid quality that makes you forget it is midi.

I don't know, maybe I'm just rambling for no reason and will be ignored. But I think even a slight improvement in the midi/synth quality would do wonders.

Moving on, the trailer quality is pretty good. I've been avoiding demonstration videos as to not spoil any of the translation, but by the looks of the writing it's pretty good. The puns didn't make me laugh, but they didn't make me face palm either, so guess I'm neutral. Character dialogue looks solid from those few conversations in the video. I'm looking forward to seeing more of the translation once the game releases next week.

Yeah, I'd really like an answer. I can't think of a justifiable excuse, but if they just told the truth, it would be less upsetting.

I can't speak as to the quality of the remake itself, but the symphonic OST was certainly something I was highly anticipating. Video game music can be amazing, DQ's in particular. For a game like this, a remake of a classic, with such a great soundtrack, I would normally play the first few hours with headphones in. But if it's just a MIDI track, then I probably won't bother. It's incredibly disappointing to me......but at least we're getting the damn game. I wouldn't feel right to $#!&@ about this after we've finally been granted a localization, when I've spent the past three years $#!&@ing about the fact that we hadn't even gotten DQ7, yet. Part of me wants to be stubborn and just scream a "WTF, Why?" at SE's general direction, but I have to begrudgingly admit this is one of those situations where you pick your battles, as those above have said.

Again, I get you all are upset, just seeing the same old thing over and over for months is grating.

It really would help if they just gave us a real explanation. It just seems so needless that a lot of people are probably interpreting it as a malicious slight on Western fans. Though that wouldn't be consistent with their praise of the QuestForTheWest movement.

• Upvote 3

This thing about the music doesn't bother me, I could even play the game without music. :laugh:

• Upvote 2

This thing about the music doesn't bother me, I could even play the game without music.

Me too. But I doubt that's gonna work with your dancer wife and adopted tribe. Maybe you should just stay with the party.

As one of the rare few who prefered DQ8's original OST over the symphonic version we got in the west, I doubt that DQ7 change is going to bother me much at all.

Edited by Mettool
  • Upvote 1

Mettool, every time you post, I want to call you Mettaur, but I have to force myself not to do so. I also expect your avatar to actually be a Mettaur, and it surprises me that it isn't.