Sign in to follow this  
cobolisdead

What kind of Marketing do you expect in the next few months?

I'm surprised they didn't keep Healix on as the mascot.

Probably because Healix is affixed to DQH, and I get the impression everything is being setup for DQ11 outside Japan.  I actually get the impression DQ11 will see a near simultaneous release, maybe 3~4 months after, with a major push for it.  DQ's mainline would probably use the standard slime we see already.  I wonder if they'll do anything with a slime plushie, or a bunch of them, but I definitely suspect DQ11 is being planned out, and was the moment SE created all the DQ sites and released DQH.  All of that is for keeping interest, building slowly up to the major unveiling.

I'll make a prediction.  We'll see DQ10 on the NX, PS4, and PC by the end of 2018, maybe 2019, and all due to DQ11's success.

You mean in the West? While having DQ10 releasing here would be amazing I can't see it happening.

That would be way more work compared to releasing a singleplayer game.

I know my local Nintendo rep. and he's doing a demo for DQ VII & Metroid Prime Federation Force on Aug. 27 at a local Gamestop here.

Frustratingly, there's a divide going on with DQ marketing in the west right now. Square Enix is doing Builders, Nintendo is doing VII. :butbut:

And I dunno if we can completely rule out a TV spot. IMO (and I guess I'm lenient?) they have been doing a... decent job of promoting the game in the past month. So who knows maybe they'll slap something together to put on TV.

They ran ads for Fire Emblem Fates and Bravely Second, so it could happen. However, I don't see any TV commercials being a possibility. An online ad maybe, but not TV.

Fire Emblem got big after Awakening (for better or worse), and Bravely Second is like FF's child. That's why they got TV spots.

Awakening got a TV ad as well. And this was after the disappointing Shadow Dragon and skipping of FE12.

It's very interesting how the video game community treats marketing. We have this thing that only sure sellers will get or deserve marketing, when in reality, it's those questionable products that need the exposure. Of course that costs money, but risk is part of business. But Nintendo is very, very risk averse... moreso than others. As mentioned in my other topic, I fear the game will be undershipped too. :babblecap: < (tinfoil hat)

Regardless, moot point. Its just my opinion that slipping a TV ad into Toonami during Dragon Ball Kai might do some good stuff, so I'd really like to see them try? Will they? Ya'll are probably right to assume 'no'. :D

I'm surprised they didn't keep Healix on as the mascot.

Probably because Healix is affixed to DQH, and I get the impression everything is being setup for DQ11 outside Japan.  I actually get the impression DQ11 will see a near simultaneous release, maybe 3~4 months after, with a major push for it.  DQ's mainline would probably use the standard slime we see already.  I wonder if they'll do anything with a slime plushie, or a bunch of them, but I definitely suspect DQ11 is being planned out, and was the moment SE created all the DQ sites and released DQH.  All of that is for keeping interest, building slowly up to the major unveiling.

I'll make a prediction.  We'll see DQ10 on the NX, PS4, and PC by the end of 2018, maybe 2019, and all due to DQ11's success.

What about Westy the slime? Is he an official Square Enix rep or just a fan rep?

• Upvote 1

Westy is not an official, to my knowledge.

And the issue with Healix is what I mentioned in my post... the divide in DQ's marketing between Square Enix and Nintendo. DQH was all Square Enix and they barely even acknowledge DQ7 and 8 anymore. It's a very, very bizarre situation.

So is Westy run by various users here then?

Not sure of the details behind it. Regardless, I hope they keep it up. They are amazing.

• Upvote 1

Westy is not an official, to my knowledge.

And the issue with Healix is what I mentioned in my post... the divide in DQ's marketing between Square Enix and Nintendo. DQH was all Square Enix and they barely even acknowledge DQ7 and 8 anymore. It's a very, very bizarre situation.

Healix was used to announce DQ's 7 and 8.  That's what the whole "hero quest" bit was about.  After that, his walking away to be a Hero was tied to Healix playing DQ7 and 8, now being prepared to play a real DQ, and be a real DQ hero.  So...no.

Not sure of the details behind it. Regardless, I hope they keep it up. They are amazing.

Yeah, those guys who run Westy sure do a great job.  If I had a penny for everytime I could make an accurate guess as to who is doing it, I'd be pretty poor.

• Upvote 1

I still say Platty has a hand in it.

Frustratingly, there's a divide going on with DQ marketing in the west right now. Square Enix is doing Builders, Nintendo is doing VII. :butbut:

And I dunno if we can completely rule out a TV spot. IMO (and I guess I'm lenient?) they have been doing a... decent job of promoting the game in the past month. So who knows maybe they'll slap something together to put on TV.

They ran ads for Fire Emblem Fates and Bravely Second, so it could happen. However, I don't see any TV commercials being a possibility. An online ad maybe, but not TV.

Fire Emblem got big after Awakening (for better or worse), and Bravely Second is like FF's child. That's why they got TV spots.

Awakening got a TV ad as well. And this was after the disappointing Shadow Dragon and skipping of FE12.

In Awakening's case, it was to be the last FE period if things didn't pan out, so they pushed hard. DQ still has a future, at least in Japan. Hopefully NA will be a part of that future too.

I still say Platty has a hand in it.

Not I.

Plattym4 may have had a hand in it. Minnie Mouse was definitely in on it.

c4d9a2d49d3f05636141ad9df7d904ff.jpg

But I swear we just met online, went house shopping, and hung out at Disney.

I never got handsy.

Platty, what the hell is going on? Do I need to call the police?

Hey Platty, I'll see your creepy Westy shot and raise you one photo of Westy in the bath...

Westy_in_the_Bath.jpg

I also managed to sneak a picture of Westy on the toilet, but he stole my camera, cast zoom, and I haven't seen him since. 

• Upvote 1

Whoa whoa whoa, where did you find that art of Arus in that job class on the left? I've hunted for the job class artwork for him and Maribel and can't find much.

I think I found it here.

Whoa, COOL. Thanks for linking that!

However, for the life of me I can't find similar class pics for anyone outside of the hero and Maribel. I wonder if they even exist.

• Upvote 1

I think I found it here.

Thanks Zenith!

No problem! I haven't seen character art in different classes for Sir Mervyn, Ruff, Aishe, or Keifer.  If I find any, I'll post it here, but I suspect they haven't made any official ones.

I don't think there are any official ones for those four. I know there is some alternate artwork for the default appearances of Gabo, Melvin, and Aira (which is on one of the Japanese print images in the DQ7 3DS section), but job class art doesn't seem to exist for those three. Kiefer too, but since he leaves before you even reach Dharma it would be odd if he got job class art.

My guess is Gabo, Melvin, and Aira didn't get job art because most characters share the same costume design, which could explain why Maribel and Arus are the only ones with job art. From playing the Japanese version, there are a few differences in costumes for certain characters, such as Gabo and his wolf having unique Jester and Shepard costumes compared to the others.

Platty, what the hell is going on? Do I need to call the police?

I don't know. That might result in some rioting. I'd imagine it'd go something like this:

https://youtu.be/cry45JclPpM

For a brief moment there, I thought Terry was Link.

So is Westy run by various users here then?

Nice shots from Iowa lately by Westy I see...

He's been posting Iowa pictures? Someone get me my Oaken Club so I can get his EXP and Gold.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

He's been posting Iowa pictures? Someone get me my Oaken Club so I can get his EXP and Gold.

Oh gosh, you had better not hurt Westy! He's the cutest little Western Slime mascot ever and I would never ever forgive you! >.<

• Upvote 1