Sign in to follow this  
Plattym3

List of skills & spells

Anywhere online is there a good list of most or all skills and spells and their descriptions for DQ. Heck, is it on the Den?

I'm not certain about the main games, but I know the Joker series has lists of every skillset, and what abilities they give. I know we have the Coup de Grace section for 9. As for the rest of the games, I really don't know. I think the Dragon Quest Wiki might have more info.

It's spread out all over the place.

I was actually thinking about making that my next project after my next set of FAQs are done.  I might do it sooner now, if only because you're a good friend, and frankly, it should be done.

A list of spells should come first.  Enemy version, Character version, what games....

Let's see, I'll run a format on how it should look and post it.

Not tonight though.  I have no energy.  I'm going to eat, try to work out, drink lots of water, and get further along DQ7.  I lost a good bit of data last night.  My driver crashed right as I was heading to save.  So hopefully I didn't lose much, but I'm not 100% sure on that.  At least it's a difference of 5 to 30 minutes, so not too bad.

• Upvote 1

That's a VERY incomplete list.  No real data, just descriptions from within the games, and nothing that actually tells you what is uniquely different from one game to another, or one version to another (like changes between the DQ6 SFC and DS/Mobile versions).

That's a VERY incomplete list. No real data, just descriptions from within the games, and nothing that actually tells you what is uniquely different from one game to another, or one version to another (like changes between the DQ6 SFC and DS/Mobile versions).

Of course they are. Just needed a starting point for something I'm working on. If you know of a complete list tonight, point me that way.

Aside from my own FAQs?  Red Scarlet's often have near full data, not always, but often.

I have to clean up the kitchen.  I'll come back with a more proper list of FAQs.

Aside from my own FAQs? Red Scarlet's often have near full data, not always, but often.

I have to clean up the kitchen. I'll come back with a more proper list of FAQs.

I put up a new contest. I'll change the link to your stuff later. Just needed a starting point tonight.

P.S. - my friend, I ask forgiveness in advance! It's all in good fun!

Edited by Plattym3

Aside from my own FAQs? Red Scarlet's often have near full data, not always, but often.

I have to clean up the kitchen. I'll come back with a more proper list of FAQs.

I put up a new contest. I'll change the link to your stuff later. Just needed a starting point tonight.

P.S. - my friend, I ask forgiveness in advance! It's all in good fun!

Uh...well, actually I'm flattered.  I mean, bloody hell mate, why ask for forgiveness if none is required?

Anyway, let's see...

DQ1 NES...

http://www.gamefaqs.com/nes/563408-dragon-warrior/faqs/61640

Search: specific spell names...so "Hurt" or "Hurtmore" and pay attention to what the data is referring to, either enemy or player spells.

You need no other guide...

DQ 2 NES...

Nothing decent yet in English

DQ1+2 GBC...

http://www.gamefaqs.com/gbc/378081-dragon-warrior-i-and-ii/faqs/8879

DQ1 Search: 3E. Spells

DQ2 Search: 5F. Spells

This only gives some semi-accurate ranges for damage and healing.  No hard data on buffs/debuffs.

....I'll keep looking and filling this up tomorrow.  I'm tired.

I'm not sure it it's the intention that people are going for, but why not make it a site project, like the Monster Wiki? With all the different English translations and everything.

I'm not sure it it's the intention that people are going for, but why not make it a site project, like the Monster Wiki? With all the different English translations and everything.

There is Flying Ragnar's Wiki, but I actually prefer making guides to writing up wiki code.  I also enjoy the fact you can download and keep a guide for yourself, but that's just me.  Wiki's rock since you can sort details, assuming a sort function is available.

• Upvote 2

There is Flying Ragnar's Wiki, but I actually prefer making guides to writing up wiki code.  I also enjoy the fact you can download and keep a guide for yourself, but that's just me.  Wiki's rock since you can sort details, assuming a sort function is available.

Just clarifying, the monster wiki isn't a wiki, it's that thing here on Woodus with every single monster in the series. It's more like a database. It just has the name of 'wiki'. http://www.woodus.com/den/resources/monster_wiki.php

Yeah, Wiki was just kind of the name we went with.  I don't think the idea of a database of names would be a bad idea either (like the monsters) so you can see how names of towns/spells/names of people have changed over the years.

• Upvote 2

Geeze, I had no working idea that that existed. I remember reading a post or two about it at some point, but never looked.

Neat.

Iggy, will you include instances of said spells in manga?

At the very least for spells and techniques that originated in them and were later adopted by the video games (like "medoroa", the technique that combines the fire and ice spells).

At the very least for spells and techniques that originated in them and were later adopted by the video games (like "medoroa", the technique that combines the fire and ice spells).

Just the mainline series of games...maybe I might include that later, but I only see the games as relevant.  I don't even think I'll touch the monsters series.

Edited by ignasia7

Just the mainline series of games...maybe I might include that later, but I only see the games as relevant.  I don't even think I'll touch the monsters series.

Are there any exclusive skills to the monsters series (specifically the GBC games)?

Are there any exclusive skills to the monsters series (specifically the GBC games)?

I think so. Medoroa is an example of one. I don't know if DQ X has used the fourth tier of the spell families (io, iora, ionazun, iogrande), the ones from the Joker games.

I think so. Medoroa is an example of one. I don't know if DQ X has used the fourth tier of the spell families (io, iora, ionazun, iogrande), the ones from the Joker games.

Yep, quite a number.  There are also unique changes to certain skills from their original variations in the mainline, and even changes for a few between certain monsters games, much like how certain skills have altered in the mainline.