Over the last few years I have made a few trips to the carious Dragon Quest themed restaurants and I have been meaning to put up some of the pictures and information from them here for people to be able to make their own plans to visit or inspire them to visit. (Pictures have been edited to remove people for their privacy)

First up, Luida's Bar

Edit October 2020: Luida is now in Akihabara not Roppongi so don't follow this guide to get there. 

To get there, take the Tokyo Metro Subway's Hibiya Line (日比谷線) and get off at Roppongi (六本木) (Icon H04) and follow the signs to use exit 3. After emerging at street level turn right and then turn right at the next major street and head down the hill.

Street Sign

spacer.png

You should see Tokyo Tower in the distance.

fWLxYrk.jpg

Continue on for a few blocks and Luida's should be on your right.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The place is rather cramped, and there is no chairs for the tables (though they did offer to get me something to sit on once when I seemed uncomfortable. I did not have a reservation but did not have any trouble getting a table.

spacer.png

spacer.png

While lacking in the verbal flavor and some of the detail, they do have menu's with English translations posted on them.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

To make an order you fill out a form, putting how many of what you want to order. At the bottom they also have some Dragon Quest toys and games available for purchase as well as souvenir cookies and chocolates.

spacer.png

Here is the food.

I believe this was bean paste buns, which have been replaced with sweet potato buns.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Salad

spacer.png

This is where they kept the pork buns

spacer.png

Edited by Mimas
Fixing images
  • Upvote 1

Too hard to edit the post above.

Here is the Pork bun machine.

CNO3iNu.jpg

More food.

zuIm6KE.jpg

USI91X1.jpg

lJsuCxH.jpg

What it looked like half eaten:

cNWpXSg.jpg

Note for vegetarians, the rice underneath had chicken in it.

XYpEupG.jpg

tRQl2oC.jpg

KhPPz1a.jpg

They have a mini medal rewards system. More about that later.

Vu4vEpp.jpg

• Upvote 3

So how was the food?

I'm considering going to Tokyo just to eat some Metal Slimes :D

I guess I should also have a Chocolate Brownie if I went

So how was the food?

Food is good. The special part is how it looks, the taste is something you would find at any other Japanese restaurant. Brownie was delicious.
  • Upvote 2

Part 2

Royal Room.

If you have a larger party you can reserve the "Royal Room" at Luida's. When you check in for it they lead you outside the resturant and down some stairs past some sort of unrelated bar (which looks to be close during the day, though you can go there for the bathroom.

Luida in the daylight.

pys7g4w.jpg

IsSp3nY.jpg

Here is what the Royal Room Looks like.

3rlfJe3.jpg

4BRQu8L.jpg

There is a screen running advertisements the whole time, but it can also be used for Karaoke.

9D6JW1S.jpg

vU7F7yC.jpg

OWDu9hW.jpg

g03B8le.jpg

8jJv41Y.jpg

zO2kdhQ.jpg

More food and drinks.

The 10MP refresh item from DQX

uac0fl5.jpg

Sweet potato and Pork

http://imgur.com/4xUnu5S.jpg[/img

Mud Hand Curry

UQy86u7.jpg

MlYR88L.jpg

m0psOvs.jpg

Queen Slimes

2pt7DYL.jpg

• Upvote 1

The Hammer Hood cake looks so good. Now I want to go there. And Mini Medal cookies. 

The rest of the area Luida's is in is a Karaoke place, but they also have one room which is a Dragon Quest X play room with 4 monitors and computers so that you can play the game together with your friends.

YK0ajq8.jpg

4IYUBeq.jpg

gduvQLG.jpg

8vJH2LQ.jpg

EWBW7vn.jpg

So Luida's has a point system where you are given a card that fills up with stamps based on how much money you have spent. A full card gives you a mini medal that you can use to redeem stuff.

Kn25LzL.jpg

xLpcnXF.jpg

And some more food pictures.

Cheese platter.

JuWSt68.jpg

Restless Armor before and after. (Note that it called for backup)

fSEGYL3.jpg

iLt8n4E.jpg

Sweet Potato

bgmnqY0.jpg

Chimera Wings

zPtWNG4.jpg

More Mini Medal Mini Pizzas

5IQfe5O.jpg

Fried Chicken

hPdtyXQ.jpg

Heal Slime Drink

UHqfzXY.jpg

• Upvote 2

So how was the food?

Food is good. The special part is how it looks, the taste is something you would find at any other Japanese restaurant. Brownie was delicious.

Yeah, I have to admit, that's really creative.  A lot of talent and artistry present for each dish.  Definitely a lot of fun to look at...I'd be hard pressed to eat.  I might pull a morgan spurlock and just seal them away in some vacuum, lol.

• Upvote 1

Next up is the Square Enix Store Artnia. This is in Shinjyuku and was quite a long walk from the JR train station. When I went I used Google Maps to get there.

The outside has this strange egg look.

kLjiiS6.jpg

Here is what it looked like inside. There are about 4 of these small cafe tables. Much of the toys in DQ though they had some other stuff as well.

4VDE7O3.jpg

But there is only one page of DQ food on the menu of the cafe.

IGUap2w.jpg

wba9X36.jpg

Slime pancake

BKIIQMR.jpg

Each slime on the stack had a face.

u0BpLZl.jpg

YJlWu3j.jpg

• Upvote 3

yyuSubk.jpg

Damn, you've thwarted my keen CSI hand identification skills!

Edited by Dwaine
  • Upvote 1

I think Mimas wants to make sure no one can identify the hand as masculine or feminine.

Nice.  Looking forward to checking some of these places out.

Any recommendations on how I can get a smartphone to work in Japan without paying outrageous roaming charges?  I was thinking about somehow getting a Japanese sim card, with a reasonable data plan.  I'll only be in town for 5 full days.

yyuSubk.jpg

Her hand is animated! That makes it a more realistic Dragon Quest experience!

Is it a watch, indicating the person is right handed, or is it a bracelet? Now you will never know!

Nice.  Looking forward to checking some of these places out.

Any recommendations on how I can get a smartphone to work in Japan without paying outrageous roaming charges?  I was thinking about somehow getting a Japanese sim card, with a reasonable data plan.  I'll only be in town for 5 full days.

There could easily be compatibly issues, so I suggest just renting a phone. There are a lot of places online you can rent one from and pick it up at the airport or get it sent to your hotel. I have rented them from the airport itself a few times, but I can't suggest renting an IPhone. Even with insurance it cost me over $300 when it fell out of my pocket and smashed. That is the problem when a phone is designed as a fashion statement instead of for normal use.

The Dragon Quest Super Light Cafe is located in Shibuya

As you can see from the picture it is in the basement floor of a building with Crispy Kreame (SP?).

s8u3aSY.jpg

At the entrance you are greeted by a slime tower.

N3c4sQv.jpg

N3c4sQv.jpg

Half the restaurant is an unrelated cafe.

Here is the front desk.

O3xDbur.jpg

BxxNhn3.jpg

Much more roomy than Luida's.

prk2GwC.jpg

hDki8Mt.jpg

Menu

889YmPg.jpg

UVvqG1k.jpg

Lekv2Te.jpg

noLqcyZ.jpg

Ul8ZKo8.jpg

gnCEAsG.jpg

s8SFJL7.jpg

And I got this for free with the order.

q88TLxm.jpg

• Upvote 2

It all looks so cool. Well, except the remains of the murdered, half-eaten monsters.

English monster names are the ones from the localizations, though... :(

• Upvote 1

It all looks so cool. Well, except the remains of the murdered, half-eaten monsters.

English monster names are the ones from the localizations, though...

You mean the menu translation? For my writing I felt Restless Armor was one of the better translations.You will note that I wrote Slime Tower and not Slime Stack though. ^_-

English monster names are the ones from the localizations, though...

You mean the menu translation? For my writing I felt Restless Armor was one of the better translations.You will note that I wrote Slime Tower and not Slime Stack though. ^_-

I meant the actual menu. In one of the pictures, the momon dish is called "teeny sanguini".

That brownie brownie is killing me :D

Those Slime Pancakes are brilliant.  I remember trying to make my own at home one time... they didn't turn out like that.

• Upvote 1