Sign in to follow this  
Liam

Oh hey, localization maybe!

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/square-enix-testing-the-waters-for-dragon-quest-11/1100-6440937/

"But with Dragon Quest VII, we were able to bring it over because a lot of fans were asking for it, sending letters, asking for it to be released and localized. So with the other games I just mentioned, and Dragon Quest XI... If more fans can voice their opinions on it and we see that people really want the game, there may be a possibility we'll be able to make it."

So that's nice.

Y'ALL GO VOICING YOUR OPINIONS

• Upvote 2

Yo, what's the fan-mail address of Square Enix? If a fella wanted to write a snail-mail fan letter, what address would they put on the envelope?

Yo, what's the fan-mail address of Square Enix? If a fella wanted to write a snail-mail fan letter, what address would they put on the envelope?

http://www.woodus.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=30404

Personally I think that's bullshit.  It's like holding DQ11 hostage, and forcing us to be their media wing.  Do their work for them.  DQ11 is a NEW game, that's a non-mmo, and the system sales for both the PS4 and even the 3DS do not remotely compare to their previous systems in Japan, so much smaller fanbases to work off of this time around (and probably one reason the game is going multi-platform).

It's a little insulting to see that kind of statement.  More than a little insulting to be perfectly honest.  DQ9's sales alone proved the viability of a new single-player DQ release, as its media blitz was just slightly less intense than 8, and sold about as much, and for a far shorter period of time, both from announcement to release and from the start of the media campaign to the end of it (almost twice as long for 8).  Nevermind the pack-in of FF12 for 8.  This is absolute madness we've been asked to continue begging for what should be a guarantee at this point...for what SE should see as a necessity to increase sales.

Even assuming DQ11 costs them 1~2 million to localize and promote, they'll sell, at the very least, 1 million copies between the US and Europe, and make multiples of that value in PURE PROFIT.  PURE PROFIT.  Nevermind the chance, given the artistic style and revamping of DQ's visuals in DQ11, both on the 3DS and the PS4 (especially PS4), to really entice a number of players who are, sadly, graphics whores.

I'm sorry...a little insulted.  I take that back.  I'm pissed off beyond belief.  This is like SE unzipping their pants and saying if we want DQ11, we now need to get on our knees.  It's beyond reproach at this point.  I get it for spinoffs.  I really do, but the proof is already in the "new" releases, the "fresh IP's" of the DQ mainline franchise.  I take that back, I'm not insulted, I'm downright DISGUSTED with SE.

• Upvote 4

http://www.woodus.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=30404

Personally I think that's bullshit.  It's like holding DQ11 hostage, and forcing us to be their media wing.  Do their work for them.  DQ11 is a NEW game, that's a non-mmo, and the system sales for both the PS4 and even the 3DS do not remotely compare to their previous systems in Japan, so much smaller fanbases to work off of this time around (and probably one reason the game is going multi-platform).

It's a little insulting to see that kind of statement.  More than a little insulting to be perfectly honest.  DQ9's sales alone proved the viability of a new single-player DQ release, as its media blitz was just slightly less intense than 8, and sold about as much, and for a far shorter period of time, both from announcement to release and from the start of the media campaign to the end of it (almost twice as long for 8).  Nevermind the pack-in of FF12 for 8.  This is absolute madness we've been asked to continue begging for what should be a guarantee at this point...for what SE should see as a necessity to increase sales.

Even assuming DQ11 costs them 1~2 million to localize and promote, they'll sell, at the very least, 1 million copies between the US and Europe, and make multiples of that value in PURE PROFIT.  PURE PROFIT.  Nevermind the chance, given the artistic style and revamping of DQ's visuals in DQ11, both on the 3DS and the PS4 (especially PS4), to really entice a number of players who are, sadly, graphics whores.

I'm sorry...a little insulted.  I take that back.  I'm pissed off beyond belief.  This is like SE unzipping their pants and saying if we want DQ11, we now need to get on our knees.  It's beyond reproach at this point.  I get it for spinoffs.  I really do, but the proof is already in the "new" releases, the "fresh IP's" of the DQ mainline franchise.  I take that back, I'm not insulted, I'm downright DISGUSTED with SE.

Awesome! Thanks ignasia.

That article was a little all over the place. I think they were talking about voicing opinions for DQX. Which isn't ever coming.

47d055e2f0f17006b469430a4d89b7de.jpg

I don't think DQXI would be a question. That's a lock.

Yeah it's kind of all over the place. The 3rd paragraph makes it sound like they're holding 11 hostage but the 4th paragraph makes it sound like they fully intend to release it after builders.

________

Edited by ChucklesProduction

That article was a little all over the place. I think they were talking about voicing opinions for DQX. Which isn't ever coming.

47d055e2f0f17006b469430a4d89b7de.jpg

I don't think DQXI would be a question. That's a lock.

I don't like that stamp. It implies that it's true, which it isn't. They never said it isn't coming,.. but they never said it's coming either so it's under consideration. We just need to demand X and XI via internet and letters and they will deliver. I've sent a few emails showing support for X and XI and once they see the sales of the upcoming games... Look, it will come one day it's just a matter of patience and demanding.

The removal of the stamp?

It's not coming.

• Upvote 2

Chuckles isn't living up to his name. He needs to spend more time on the Den and realize when he's put his foot into an inside joke and then shoved it in his mouth.

Then remove it and STAMP it all around!

• Upvote 1

I don't get what the big deal about localizing DQ7 and 8 are. I mean, this has already been done before so its not like they are starting from scratch here. As for DQ 11, I thought that they said it was coming here already.

Edited by cobolisdead

I don't get what the big deal about localizing DQ7 and 8 are. I mean, this has already been done before so its not like they are starting from scratch here. As for DQ 11, I thought that they said it was coming here already.

8 wasn't the problem. 7 was.

It's almost 100% a new translation. Zing, kazaple, and of course all the dialects (maybe) and monster names. It's a lot to redo.

And it's also not exactly the same game. It was cut shorter than the original.

7 was the last game localized before the new translation things took over for 8 (at least for the main series...?). I never had much doubt about DQ8, since it already was translated the "new" way aside from the new stuff, for lack of a better term. 7 was both the most text heavy game in the series (this really shows in the old translation due to many, many typos, "eople", really?!) and not already translated that way.

I don't think 11 will be as massive of an undertaking as 7, though. If it is, I'll be impressed.

That said, here's to flooding SE's inbox with "yo, we western DQ fans exist" notes, I guess.

• Upvote 2

Are you gonna start crying censorship?

We do have that topic after all.

I know you're half-joking, but just in case, the topic was closed by Dwaine awhile back.

7 was the last game localized before the new translation things took over for 8 (at least for the main series...?). I never had much doubt about DQ8, since it already was translated the "new" way aside from the new stuff, for lack of a better term. 7 was both the most text heavy game in the series (this really shows in the old translation due to many, many typos, "eople", really?!) and not already translated that way.

I don't think 11 will be as massive of an undertaking as 7, though. If it is, I'll be impressed.

That said, here's to flooding SE's inbox with "yo, we western DQ fans exist" notes, I guess.

Not only that, but it really is a fresh new IP in the DQ-verse, so there's ample motivating factors for SE to just do it.

As angry as I am about the idea of writing to SE to "beg" which is essentially what this is, yeah, if that's what it takes to be 100% sure we get it, then sure, I'll definitely participate.

I think I'll be more than happy to break down the cost of the game and the potential loss to their company in NOT undertaking the localization.  What saddens me is the lack of understanding I keep hearing from SE producers and developers on why DQ does so poorly.  They've never bothered to actually check into it, to sell it properly, they just expect it will sell in Japan because it's become as homemade to Japan as Apple Pie is to the US.  It's a sad state of mind to be in, and they really need a fresh perspective from a positive point of view that this series can sell very well in the US.  It just takes another approach.

I'm hoping Nintendo is handling the DQ7 promotion solo.  Maybe SE should have taken notes from how they handled 9.  Not exactly an "A" grade, but a "B-" is a world away from Square-Enix's "F," or at least their competent "C/C+" for DQ8 and "C" for Joker 1.  No learning process...at some point Western DQ fans need to take a trip out there and give them some direction or hope for the franchise.

Edited by ignasia7
  • Upvote 2

I know you're half-joking, but just in case, the topic was closed by Dwaine awhile back.

I was not aware of that.

I was not aware of that.

This joke would have been more relevant earlier when Iggy mentioned something about it being more justified to be angry if there were changes to dialogue when someone got upset about name changes.

I was gonna make a joke like, "if the Fire Emblem one got so lit, imagine how bad a Dragon Quest one would be." But no, I restrained myself.

• Upvote 1

I feel like writing a letter to square about Dragon Quest XI.

I was not aware of that.

This joke would have been more relevant earlier when Iggy mentioned something about it being more justified to be angry if there were changes to dialogue when someone got upset about name changes.

I was gonna make a joke like, "if the Fire Emblem one got so lit, imagine how bad a Dragon Quest one would be." But no, I restrained myself.

Your friend would be proud of you if she ever found out.

• Upvote 1

I feel like writing a letter to square about Dragon Quest XI.

I'm sure you can do that. You probably should.

PS thanks for the discussion everybody, totally giving new perspectives on the situation, this is why Dragon's Den is amazing ahh

Edited by Liam

Not with the infinite pedestal shards. Like the keys in DWM and grottos in DQIX, they'll consume me and it'll be a far longer game now!
  • Upvote 3

Not with the infinite pedestal shards. Like the keys in DWM and grottos in DQIX, they'll consume me and it'll be a far longer game now!

I noticed those on the E3 gameplay. I never played the original so I don't know how they work exactly, but if it's anything like the grottos from DQIX I'll probably be consumed too. I'm more hyped for this than anything else at E3. >.<

I noticed those on the E3 gameplay. I never played the original so I don't know how they work exactly, but if it's anything like the grottos from DQIX I'll probably be consumed too. I'm more hyped for this than anything else at E3. >.<
They're not in the original.

Going to be a whole new game element to play with. Sounds like a grotto type system, but one with a little more control over it. I thought the E3 dude said something about combining shards to make certain ones.

Edited by Plattym3