Sign in to follow this  
ChucklesProduction

Since new DQ music is rare these days...

________

Edited by ChucklesProduction
  • Upvote 1

I kinda like seeing old favorites among the new tracks.

I wouldn't call it slacking, really. There's still new tracks being put in, yes?

And in IX's case, at least, a lot of the old tracks were Legacy Boss themes (in other words, in a portion of the game there for purely fanservice), aside from the Ocean and Church themes, which were from IV and VIII, respectively.

IX also introduced my second favorite song in the series in the form of Heaven's Prayer/Angelic Land, so I am a bit biased maybe.

Edited by Glaceon Mage

I mean, how old is the dude? Continuing to write new and unique music is tough.

What I've been miffed on, and I did the same style rant as this a few years back, is the repeating of monsters from Tori. One could give the same defense of age and tough to keep it fresh. But by now he should have an entire art department under him to help him with monster creation. 7 was the last game where we got a true influx of new monsters.

Edited by hawkeye77o4

Dragon Quest Heroes: 2 new tracks out 60.... embarrassing. The new fight theme, and the final boss theme which is an arrangement of Joker 2's 'Giant Monster Approaches'

"Embarrassing"?

The Heroes games are special cases where fan service and nostalgia are a main part of the appeal. I love listening to the classic music in these two games.

I definitely would not classify it as "embarrassing", and I doubt one of the objectives of these games was to include new music. 

I kinda like seeing old favorites among the new tracks.

• Upvote 1

________

Edited by ChucklesProduction

Hell, the guy is 85, he's not gonna be churning it out like he used to.

I also love hearing older music, especially for nostalgia titles like DQH and DQB.

DQXI may very well be his last hurrah for the series, I am anxious for it to release.

The only problem I have is the lack of symphonic arrangements in newer games (7 & 8 3DS don't count since they re-use the Tokyo Metropolitan renditions). I was hoping they would have gone all out with Heroes and re-composed the battle themes to make them bombastic with strings and horns and the like. Yet every video I've watched has nothing but that awful synth.

Dragon Quest games from the past few years do not have good synth music (2011 and onward). The mobile ports being the biggest offenders in my opinion.

Other than my complaint, I see no problem with the reuse of music, especially in spin-offs.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

I feel like the expansions to DQX shouldn't count against him. The base game has plenty of new tracks, although it WOULD be nice to have a game with nothing reused but the overture though. That said, other titles as of late have been pretty disappointing in this department.

Somebody mentioned there aren't enough new monsters. For most games, you'd be correct. But X has a bunch of new monsters, it just hasn't made it stateside (yet? That China announcement rekindled my hopes).

As for the synth, I'd much prefer a symphonic soundtrack in most cases, but the synth used in I-VI mobile and Theatrhythm isn't that bad. It's much much better than the DS synths.

On the other hand, VIII mobile reuses the original PS2 synth, and VII mobile uses this s**tty a*s synth, even though the 3DS version it's based on has a symphonic soundtrack.

Heroes should have been symphonic. There's absolutely no reason it shouldn't have besides Sugiyama being greedy about it. I don't know what his deal is about synths in games. He writes beautiful music, but won't allow it to be realized to its fullest potential.

The DS synth was much better than the mobile versions. In my opinion.

There are much better synth and midi programs out there that sound semi-realistic, yet they cheap out and use poor quality for the mobile releases. Playing IV on mobile made me feel like I was playing some poor flash game from 2008 with how the music sounded.

The DS synths arguably could have been better than the new synths, but the low bitrate ruins any chance those had of sounding good. I'd rather listen to the PS1 synths than those.

As would I, but the DS renditions are still far better than mobile renditions. In my opinion.

I don't hear a problem with the DS synth they went with. Some tracks sound great such as Menuet (Night) from IV.

But anything is better than the mobile synth. They need to find a better sound director or something in order to obtain a stronger, more life like synth/midi sound system.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit