Sign in to follow this  
Shaviine

Guide to Ovalutionary Road

Now with less Gem Slime and Burning Breath reliance!

Because monsters here have fairly high defense it is preferable to use spells. Single target spells such as Frizzle, Zammle and Zapple tend to be the most efficient in terms of MP cost, but are much slower than full party ones. Because of this Spooky Aura is a MUST HAVE with this strategy, once you stack it up twice on the enemy it can potentially double the damage your spells deal. Hargon and Orobas are the only monsters as of now capable of having this skill and are a must have on any team. Mental Claw works out just as well, but costs far too much mana to be useful, also prone to missing and won't work on monsters with their defense boosted by Kabuff.

Orobas as it stands is essential for Ovalutionary Road, because of Magic Regenerator. Prime Slime also has it, but not many people use it. It allows you to quickly restore your MP for cheap spells such as Midheal or Zapple, making them excellent candidates. Not only that it allows you to perform a tactic called 'turtling' which means you keep a weak monster alive and just continue to defend while your monster's MP regenerates to full. Now comes the fun part... what would a good party look like?

Orobas (#821) - The best monster you can have for this mode. If you throw Midheal on him, he is the absolute king of this quest being able to infinitely heal party members with his MP regen as well as put out a consistent damage with Zammle, Zapple or Frizzle. He also comes with Spooky Aura so I suggest two, or finding a friend with one. I highly suggest putting it as your party leader to help out others and besides he boosts critical spell chance... what more could you ask for?

Hargon (#505) / Malroth (#506) - Their stats are much higher than Orobas' they have access to Spooky Aura. I highly suggest dropping Boom in favor of Midheal on this monster if you have it available, just keep in mind they do not regenerate MP like Orobas does.

Prime Slime (#556) - If you have it, use it as your leader. Please. It regenerates MP just like Orobas and has a variety of slashing attacks at its disposal. Attack Attacker works excellently against physical attackers like Swingre, Claws and Trauminator.

Dark King Slime (#27) - While not as useful as the next two monsters he still has access to Zammle and Burning Breath. It's not suitable for a party leader, but still is a solid choice in the party, especially with Midheal.

Armful (#376) - Burning Breath is a very good skill for this mode, albeit you're relying on random chance. It still has access to Kasap which is also random chance, but will allow your monsters to deal good physical damage.

Emperor Wyvern (#618) - Emperor Wyvern is a great monster that has access to Burning Breath, it also has access to the high-damaging Hellfire Howl and the ability to counter breath attacks with Backdraft. It doesn't serve much purpose as a party leader, but does pull its weight in the party.

Mumboh-Jumboe (#295) / Jugular Joker (#836) - While I don't like the idea of niche strategies, these guys can make the encounter with Trauminator a complete joke. Anything with Artful Dodger gets more evasion with speed boosts, especially against slower monsters making them completely whiff. Tap Dance works the same way, but you constantly need to use it until all Trauminators are defeated. Try to conserve their MP specifically for this purpose. They are not very useful otherwise because of high physical defense.

Lightmare (#709) - The best healer in the game hands down. Great for emergencies because of Omniheal and Kazing. While it's not a very good leader to have for this quest it is great to have in your party and a very sought after monster for other quests.

Keep in mind other monsters do work out okay, it's just you should have at least 1 or 2 of the monsters mentioned above. Keep in mind I will continue to update this list in the event they add more monsters.

---

Now let's take a look at the monsters you'll be fighting in this quest and how to deal with each one of them.

Claws (#95) - Oomph, Thin Air, Weakening Wallop
Your generic filler monster that does moderate amounts of damage, but nothing too noteworthy. Most monsters here rely on skills to actually destroy your party so Oomph isn't as scary as it seems. Weakening Wallop is another reason why spells work out better than physical attacks, because you can completely ignore it!

Black Dragon (#79) - Bounce, Freezing Blizzard
Another generic filler monster that does moderate amounts of damage. Try not to have monsters weak to Crack because they will fall quickly. If you're running a party that utilizes spells and Bounce starts to stack up, just wait it out. Disruptive Pulse works just as well too!

Armoured Scorpion (#123) - Acceleratle, Kabuff, Zing
Highest priority target, it can buff the enemy in addition to reviving them. Get rid of it before anything else.

Elysium Bird (#146) - Burning Breath, Multiheal
Not many monsters resist paralysis making this monster a high priority. It's even more obnoxious that it heals everything else, but not for much. If you've been utilizing single target spells it won't heal as often. Thankfully it has fairly low HP and will go down quickly.

Trauminator (#280) - Falcon Slash, Thunderbolt Slash
The biggest physical threat you will find, luckily it is slow and Acceleratle, Kabuff or even Tap Dance can counter it quite well. Try to have a monster with Kazing or carry a leaf for the fight with multiple Trauminators because you don't want to lose to an unlucky crit.

Barbatos (#329) - Boom, Inferno
A filler monster that does moderate amounts of damage, but nothing too noteworthy. Most monsters are resistant to the damage, so try to keep an eye out for anything on your party weak to Bang or Frizz.

Wight King (#362) - Chilly Breath, Swoosh
A filler monster that's considerably weaker than Barbatos in damage and health. This is were the turtle strategy comes into play. You will want to guard with all monsters and have Orobas or Prime Slime regenerate their MP to full. Once you hit full MP finish it off and heal out of battle afterwards if necessary.

Night Rider (#370) - Kafizzle, Sizzle, Venom Breath
Absolutely obnoxious to have in the fight. Not only will poison hurt you in the long run it will prevent you from potentially turtling to get your MP back. Kafizzle can also shut your healers and party down completely. Try to get rid of it as soon as possible unless an Armoured Scorpion is present. Thankfully poison is cured after the battle so you won't need to carry something that cures it!

---

Let me know what you guys think of my guide, I've been trying it out and my success rate is quite high. I almost always win with it and it turns something once thought to be unfair into more of an endurance battle. I'd love to know what monsters have been working out for you as well.

Great guide ,i was forced used weak team and yes Orobas is mvp there . 3-4 orobas in team may even let it do very easy without gems.

Btw mumboh is great because of his power up skill with do like 800+ damage with thunder slash

Good idea is have at last one monster with paralyze strike to keep paralyze missed enemies . I got it on blue fang and hes really Helpfull (unfortunately low mp ).

That Trauminators in last fight are real pain ...

Edited by CHRZANEK

Nice guide! Simple, but comprehensive. One other tip I have is bringing a buddy with a Psaro for the 20% mp increase. You'll be using a ton of spells, so extra mp is really helpful.

The team I go with is 3 armfuls (2 with midheal) a trauminator with acceleratle, and an emperor wyvern with multiheal. I try to get a Psaro pal with midheal to come along to solve the mana issues. I think I've only been unable to complete the quest once in the past 3 times it's come around, so it works really well.

Nice guide! Simple, but comprehensive. One other tip I have is bringing a buddy with a Psaro for the 20% mp increase. You'll be using a ton of spells, so extra mp is really helpful.

The team I go with is 3 armfuls (2 with midheal) a trauminator with acceleratle, and an emperor wyvern with multiheal. I try to get a Psaro pal with midheal to come along to solve the mana issues. I think I've only been unable to complete the quest once in the past 3 times it's come around, so it works really well.

Wow. You are using 3 armfuls for this event? How long does it take you to clear it? I usually use 1 in my party or use a pal as armful. Did they fix the issue with Psaro? U get -20% for mp. :)

It takes a long time to clear. Usually the whole enemy team is paralyzed though! :P