Sign in to follow this  
YangustheLegendaryBandit

Yangus's Secondly Brave Bravely Second Journal

Attack items are your best friend ;)

I don't really use attack items in any RPG. Don't know why, just never do.

Attack items are your best friend ;)

I don't really use attack items in any RPG. Don't know why, just never do.

Me neither, twinsie.  What can they do that a good smack from a sword or fire spell cannot?  (I guess we'll find out)

(damnit, all these Bravely posts are running together haha)

Edited by Plattym3

I used them quite a bit until around Chapter 5; even the weakest ones do 500 damage each, and they're cheap! In addition, the stronger ones do 1500 damage each, although they're more expensive.

• Upvote 1

I never really got a chance to use them.

If my physical and magic attacks do more damage than the spells, not much use in em.

Mine did around 300, so I used items to do a good 2000 damage per character per turn instead. 

Yeah, enhanced with Attack Item Amp from Catmancer, it's fairly useful.

Also, Catmancer can make some pretty broken combinations.

I'm up to the point of taking on Aimee in Chapter 2. Yoko has been an "interesting," character to have tag along, but her older brother is pretty shweet. Oddly enough he reminds me of a character I created a long time ago, or at least part of his appearance does.

Anyway, I can tell this game's approach to the story telling is getting a mixed reception from me. Honestly this game is not grabbing me near as well as Default did, hence the lack of constant updates with a lot of progress. Maybe playing it so soon after Default was a bad idea, but regardless, I prefer Default to Second as of now. This could change, but i don't see that being the case.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

I preferred it soon after I started, honestly. Second is better than Default by leaps and bounds in my opinion.

Yangus, you're very close to the moment I called dark when I was playing. You'll love it!

Edited by gooieooie

It's the tone of Second overall that kind of pisses me off about the whole experience. It feels like the game is just trying to entertain me via "comedy" and this silly relationship $#!& that I could care less about.

I don't need my RPG stories to be all super serious and straight performance, but if you're going for comedy than SPACE IT OUT TO KEEP IT FRESH. This isn't Yokai Watch or Fantasy Life where you immediately expect the game to be silly and not take itself too seriously.

I figured it would be more of Default's style but with a deeper plot and reveals of unsolved answers, but all I'm getting is forced food conversations and "OH WE'RE SHARING A SPACE AND CLEARLY LIKE EACH OTHER, HOW EMBARRASSING" moments.

If I had to label it, Second is going for the new Persona approach: have these super dark moments and shocks but trying to entertain the audience with "humor" and relationships.

At least the gameplay is still fun.

Different strokes, I wish BD had more of what BS has with the tone and story.

Anyways, didn't play much last night.

Did defeat some Ba'als though, cause I've gotta bust them.

Also, yeah, playing it so soon after BD probably doesn't help, I'm experiencing fatigue myself, but not from the story.

More the gameplay and general feel, even if it's still fun.

Shoulda cleansed your palate with some SMT or EO first!

Edited by Tiael

Different strokes, I wish BD had more of what BS has with the tone and story.

Anyways, didn't play much last night.

Did defeat some Ba'als though, cause I've gotta bust them.

Also, yeah, playing it so soon after BD probably doesn't help, I'm experiencing fatigue myself, but not from the story.

More the gameplay and general feel, even if it's still fun.

Shoulda cleansed your palate with some SMT or EO first!

You know, as much as I shouldn't, I may just take that advice. I've had the itch to play Etrian Odyssey Untold 2 again. Maybe try out an ailment team build. So probably Dark Hunter, Hexer, Survivalist, War Magus, and...I don't know, Beast or Protector? The first 4 are a necessity, but the 5th could be a number of classes.

Gosh I'm getting excited just thinking about it. I've done an elemental link party, time for my favorite party type - the ailment party!

...Not too keen on Second, are you, Yangus? :P

Tiael is probably right. Playing them back to back definitely might've negatively impacted your experience a bit.

I had the same issue with Bayonetta 2. Not that the story was bad or anything but I was a bit burnt out from the gameplay.

Played it a few months later and had a blast.

Edited by DarkBaramos

...Not too keen on Second, are you, Yangus? :P

Let's be honest, gooie: Second had some mighty big shoes to fill (for me). You all saw how much I loved Default after all.

I'm hoping Tiael and Baramos are right. About 6 years back when I was on my "Dragon Quest high," and was playing through the games at a very fast rate one after the other, the same thing happened with Dragon Quest V: everyone lauded the game where I found it to be "meh" my first time through. Replayed it a few years later and really enjoyed it for everything it offered.

A break from the Bravely series may do me some good.

It's like when I played Dragon Quest VI. It was Meh for me. I'd have given it a 5/10.

Tried it a few years later and it was a a better experience. Totally different. A solid 6/10.

I actually have an update:

The moon population is up to 102 people thanks to updates and street pass.

Figured I'd share since Bravely Second is becoming another hot topic.

In my opinion, that population will make rebuilding the moon very fast should I every return to actually play the game for real.

• Upvote 2

We're reviving the journal again. Spent some time with the game this morning and have reached Geyser Grotto. I still $#!&ing hate the writing in this game, but I'm going to try and finish it as I go back and forth between EO3.

I guess I'm underleveled for the new dungeons so I'll have to grind. I guess reaching 80,000 pg for that new costume is as good a place as any. I just need some broken bullshit party build to make the process go faster.

Do you have the Red Mage class, or did you go for Thief? If you have Red Mage, it has an ability that gives you 1BP when you sustain a status condition. So set that ability, head into the Geyser room that gives Berserk to everyone, and watch the BP flow per turn! That's where I did a lot of my training, it gives you 99 battle chains.

(Though you need to be strong enough to kill the enemies quickly, so if you're underlevelled you should probably level somewhere else first, like the Grapp Keep strategy)

As a side note, I switched back to the Grapp Keep trick following Chapter 5, since the enemies there get a boost and that's what took me up to Level 99. :)

Edited by gooieooie

No, I chose Thief. I abused the status skill in Default though for the chapter 8 asterisk fights.

• Upvote 1

Ah, that's too bad. :/

In that case, why not give Grapp Keep a try? It's relatively close to the Geyser Grotto anyways. :)

In case you forgot how to do it, head into Grapp Keep with 99 Phoenix Downs. Everyone has Freelancer as their class or secondary class. Use Halfsies with Phoenix Down 4x on the enemies with everyone each battle. Everything there is undead, so a Phoenix Down has a high chance of killing them. (and so using a total of 16 per turn is basically a guarantee)  :D

Helps if your moon has developed in a way that you can buy Phoenix Downs from the Adventurer, because then the floor he's on becomes your stop for Phoenix Downs, healing, and saving. You won't need to leave until you're done training!

Edited by gooieooie

Good to know Grapp still is roaming with the undead. I'll try that strategy for awhile to help out the party. Thanks gooie.

Edit: oh hey, 5555 posts.

• Upvote 1

No problem! They do give quite good EXP for that point in the game, even with low battle chains. :)

That strategy is really good, gooie. Everyone is almost level 30, so once they reach that point I'll probably turn of EXP gains and earn some more Japans and pigs for a while to help level up my level 1 job ranks.

By the way, when does the chef class become available? I'm just thinking ahead since I have all those pastries available on the moon that I may stock up on a few.