That is right, DQIV would technically be the first DQ game that had a monster companion. 

-Have slimes as the mook monster? Before everyone and their mother's game had slimes anyway. (DQ1)

The iconic Dragon Quest slimes were based on/inspired by Wizardry's slime enemy, if i recall correctly

-Have slimes as the mook monster? Before everyone and their mother's game had slimes anyway. (DQ1)

The iconic Dragon Quest slimes were based on/inspired by Wizardry's slime enemy, if i recall correctly

Looks to be true, I searched it. http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/10/yuji-horii-explains-the-dragon-quest-slimes-origin/

Dragon Quest really gave the common slimes a recognizable character though.  

Dragon Quest really gave the common slimes a recognizable character though.  

It's certainly the first game to take an enemy and not just an enemy, but the most basic enemy, and make it the mascot of the game.

I thought Ultima 3 (Exodus) was the first console turn based RPG (NES port)

First interchangeable class system (DQ3) - I think that may be true. FF1 (very similar to me as DQ3) was released around the same time and had the class changed.

First isometric RPG with a party (DQ2) - Ultima 3 had a party as well.

First RPG where you could see your entire party on screen (DQ2) - I don't remember if you could do this with Ultima 3 or not.

First RPG with both a 1st person battle and 3rd person movement screen (DQ1) - That's a DQ staple.

First RPG to incorporate a reusable magic system through item usage [equipment] (DQ2) - That I believe is true.

First game to incorporate direct reduction resistances to magical damage [Magic Shield = -15 versus Infernos/Firebal/Firebane/Explodet] (DQ2) - I'm not sure if Ultima did that or not.

First game to incorporate a stat as a status resistance element [Luck] (DQ3) - I know other games had status resistances, but I'm not sure how stats affected them.

First game to incorporate a unique critical hit system of fixed [1.56%], Fighter [level/256] (DQ3) - I know other games had critical hits, but I'm not sure how fixed they were.

Right, but interchangeable classes are not available in Wizardry, Ultima, DnD, Might and Magic, even MUDs don't allow class switching, nor even FF1.  FF1 is class progression, but one way only.  You cannot change a Thief to a Warrior, or vice versa.  Only DQ3 had such a function available, and is the only game series to start the "hero" class as a specially defined class.  If we're going on whether a system had classes, Ultima 3 had a class system.

Ultima Exodus wasn't released on the NES/Famicom until 1987...OH, I forgot it as released on the Commodore 64 and Atari 800 in 1993.  I stand corrected.

Remake of Ultima 3 on the NES/Famicom included overworld party.  The original versions was one character on the overworld screen.  So that means it copied elements from Dragon Quest II, which was released in January of 1987.  Ultima 3 NES was released June 1st, 1987.

Ultima used spells to block magic.  It did not incorporate any equipment resistances aside from basic physical damage until either 5 or Underworld (I'm scouring wiki's and info sites to figure out when Ultima first incorporated it).  Same thing with Wizardry, except Wizardry never once incorporated equipment hard resistances...instead it incorporated % resistances with 6, I believe, based on specified elements.  Um...same with Might and Magic, except they waited until 3, which was around the same time as Wizardry 6 and Ultima Underworld.  DQ2 is DEFINITELY the first game to incorporate direct spell damage reduction via equipment.

They were usually racial resistances, started with DnD, and magical on top of that.  I believe DnD actually had status effect resistances in equipment before DQ4 incorporated it (Metal King Helm).

I can't find info on critical hits aside from DQ, so I'm going with that statement as definitely plausible.  I'd need to check through DnD and see maybe if I can't track down Critical hit info on Ultima 2, 3, and 4.

• Upvote 1

Right, but interchangeable classes are not available in Wizardry

It's available in Wizardry isn't it? I went through both Priest and Mage to get all the spells. In fact I thought that's where DQ3 got the idea to begin with.

Unless that was a feature added in the Famicom version and wasn't present in the original.

Edited by The n00b Avenger

Ultima is such a great series. Peaked at 6 though, but online was beast too

Ultima 7 Black Gate was my favorite. Pt 2 Serpent Isle was great although the last part of the game wasn't nearly as good due to being rushed (Thank you Electronic Arts executive meddling).

Ultima 8 however....I shouldn't die from falling into pits in RPGS...

Ultima 9......NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Right, but interchangeable classes are not available in Wizardry

It's available in Wizardry isn't it? I went through both Priest and Mage to get all the spells. In fact I thought that's where DQ3 got the idea to begin with.

Unless that was a feature added in the Famicom version and wasn't present in the original.

I thought you could only pick one of the higher tier classes.  I can't find anything that suggests infinite class changes though, but I could be wrong on that.

...just checked several FAQs.  Yep, you're right, Wizardry on the NES did that...ok, I should have checked the FAQ, it was for the NES version.  I'm looking for confirmation on earlier releases, since I know some NES versions had revisions for certain games, not just Ultima 3.

Got it.  Yeah, the original had class changing with the same penalties and everything as the NES, just slightly revamped "Training Grounds" menu for the NES version, but the same features.  So I'm wrong, Wizardry did indeed start Class Changing.  Then it's a matter of counting the Commodore 64 version as the first console release.

Edited by ignasia7
  • Upvote 1

I believe Dragon Quest was the first video game RPG to have fake treasure boxes that attack you? (I think a table top RPG did that idea first, then DQ was the first video game) Might be wrong there though.

I believe Dragon Quest was the first video game RPG to have fake treasure boxes that attack you? (I think a table top RPG did that idea first, then DQ was the first video game) Might be wrong there though.

Relatively sure mimics were a thing before DQ.

DQ before thing a were mimics sure relatively.

Am I doing it right?

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

Dang. Fixed that problem.

Nah, Zorn and Thorn from Final Fantasy. You can both change it and be twins

Nah, Zorn and Thorn from Final Fantasy. You can both change it and be twins

A FF profile pic?

DQ fan card revoked!

Edited by Plattym3

I didn't know we got cars for being Dragon Quest fans.

And I already have next month's picture lined up, and it is from Final Fantasy IX.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

I thinks what that persons is trying to say is the mimic of Dragon Quest is the first consoles rpg to have the monsters. yes we knows mimics are old tables top rpg monster, but for the consoles.